Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need referral to Docs in Fairfield Cty. (CT)

Posted by John Goff on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010917)

just diagnosed with PF/heel spurs and have had my first cortisone shot which was incredibly painful. Podiatrist seems OK but can anyone give me additional referrals to others in this area.

Re: Need referral to Docs in Fairfield Cty. (CT)

john h on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010923)

i think the best you can do if you are looking for an orthopedic surgeon is to check around your area and find one who is a FOOT AND ANKLE SURGEON WHO HAS COMPLETED A FELLOWSHIP IN THIS SPECIALITY. At lest you will know he has the highest credentials. If there is a teaching hospital in your area-start there.

Lee M. on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010956)

John, I've had 3 shots. They don't get any less painful. And the pain always came back. The only people who seemed to benefit from the shot are the ones who were cured with the first one. If the pain comes back you might re-think having a 2nd. Most of the posters here have not been helped by them. I received so much more help from this board than from Dr.s so don't expect too much even if you find a good Dr. They don't know how to cure it, or even what brings it on. Good orthodics do help, and stretching, ice, rolling you foot, topical creams and for me low carbs and weight loss.
Try everything you can thats posted here. There are some really good suggestions. Also to new posters, I wish I had kept receipts and returned the things that didn't work, especially the over the counter orthodics. I've been noticing that just about every product has a money back guarantee. I've thrown a lot of stuff away, when I should have returned it.

john h on 9/16/99 at 00:00 (010991)

if all of us mailed to Scott the various items we have bought (night splints, orthotics, stretching devices, magnetic insoles, potions, creams, medications, shoes, tens units, etc) he could open up a very large store for the people with problems of the foot.

Sarah on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011035)

John, I beg to differ w/ Lee. I have had two Cortisone shots in the right foot and one in the left foot. Originally, my right foot was worse and the first shot helped some, but not entirely, while the left foot felt almost back to normal. After physical therapy brought my pain down from about an 8-9 to about a 4-5 in the right foot my doctor agreed to give me one more shot in my right foot. Now that foot is really about a 0-1 on the pain scale since the shot was given in March '99 and the left foot which was at about a 0-1 increased to about a 3 this past June. Ibuprophen cream and occassional oral tablets as well as ice, a lot of babying, and work with a personal trainer have brought me down to a 0-3 on any given day. I think the cortisone brought my pain down significantly. My feet were so imfalmmed that all the ice in the world wouldn't not have helped at the start of all of this. I'm not saying shots are always the answer and they certainly aren't risk free or pain free, but in my experience they helped.

john h on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010923)

i think the best you can do if you are looking for an orthopedic surgeon is to check around your area and find one who is a FOOT AND ANKLE SURGEON WHO HAS COMPLETED A FELLOWSHIP IN THIS SPECIALITY. At lest you will know he has the highest credentials. If there is a teaching hospital in your area-start there.

Lee M. on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010956)

John, I've had 3 shots. They don't get any less painful. And the pain always came back. The only people who seemed to benefit from the shot are the ones who were cured with the first one. If the pain comes back you might re-think having a 2nd. Most of the posters here have not been helped by them. I received so much more help from this board than from Dr.s so don't expect too much even if you find a good Dr. They don't know how to cure it, or even what brings it on. Good orthodics do help, and stretching, ice, rolling you foot, topical creams and for me low carbs and weight loss.
Try everything you can thats posted here. There are some really good suggestions. Also to new posters, I wish I had kept receipts and returned the things that didn't work, especially the over the counter orthodics. I've been noticing that just about every product has a money back guarantee. I've thrown a lot of stuff away, when I should have returned it.

john h on 9/16/99 at 00:00 (010991)

if all of us mailed to Scott the various items we have bought (night splints, orthotics, stretching devices, magnetic insoles, potions, creams, medications, shoes, tens units, etc) he could open up a very large store for the people with problems of the foot.

Sarah on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011035)

John, I beg to differ w/ Lee. I have had two Cortisone shots in the right foot and one in the left foot. Originally, my right foot was worse and the first shot helped some, but not entirely, while the left foot felt almost back to normal. After physical therapy brought my pain down from about an 8-9 to about a 4-5 in the right foot my doctor agreed to give me one more shot in my right foot. Now that foot is really about a 0-1 on the pain scale since the shot was given in March '99 and the left foot which was at about a 0-1 increased to about a 3 this past June. Ibuprophen cream and occassional oral tablets as well as ice, a lot of babying, and work with a personal trainer have brought me down to a 0-3 on any given day. I think the cortisone brought my pain down significantly. My feet were so imfalmmed that all the ice in the world wouldn't not have helped at the start of all of this. I'm not saying shots are always the answer and they certainly aren't risk free or pain free, but in my experience they helped.