Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

soft birks

Posted by wendyn on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010928)

I too am changing my name from Wendy2 to WendyN. The Birks I bought say 'Monterey' on them and the number on them is 36. The sole is nice and soft - but has enough support for my flat feet. I know I'm supposed to get used them slowly but I wore them for about 80% of the day. Had to take my son shoe shopping and I even made it through the mall!!!!

Got the results of my bone scan - everything is okay, no strange arthritis. So, I am pretty much back to square one. The doctor agrees that I have TTS, he wants me to take Celebrex for 2 and a half months to see if that helps....then we will go from there. I really hate taking medicine (side effects) so I don't know what I'm going to do. I guess I'll start praying that maybe my feet are really imrpoving with the new shoes.

Don't know how helpful they'll be when we have 2 feet of snow though......

Re: soft birks

john h on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010937)

wendy: i have been on celebrix for 2 weeks and have no side effects yet. i am on 100mg twice a day with meals.

john a on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010940)

Hmmm, the Montereys I'm finding look like the classic Birk with a hard cork insole, and a hard EVA outsole. Perhaps the thin suede insole covering is the softness you're referring to?

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Styles/Classics/Slipons/monterey.html

wendyn on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010943)

I don't know a lot about birks (this is my first pair). But the sales guy told me not to start with the hard soled birks because I'm having a lot of pain and I have flat feet. He said that if I find the soft ones comfortable, wear them and in about a year or so - try the hard soled ones. They only had about 4 different styles of soft soled ones - I do notice that the picture on the box makes it look as if they are hard soled. (i.e. the picture on the box doesn't really look like the sole of my shoe) This is what else is on the box, maybe it will help you...these things are unbelievably comfortable - I have not taken them off all day. I think I may wear them all the time...let me know if you're able to track them down...

36 Innensohle: echt Leder
230 Fubbett: Naturkork
L5 Obertei: Birko-Flor
nubuk Laufsohle: EVA
Birko-Flor
basalt

Monterey

I don't know if any of this will mean anything to you but I hope it helps.

john a on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010957)

Thannks. My translation is

36 (Euro size) Innersole: Genuine Leather
230 (size in mm) Footbed: Natural Cork
L5 (US ladies size 5) Upper: Birko-Flor (man-made leather-like)
Outersole: Ethyl Vinyl Acetate

Still looks like a standard birk. Guess I have to find one and try it on. Thanks for the info. One last question: how much did they cost you?

wendy2 on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010963)

I asked to try on a regular Birk just to compare, and trust me - the foot beds are completely different. The regular ones are solid - this one you can squish your finger into in spots. I paid $96.00 Canadian, which is a little less than I paid for my New Balance running shoes ($110). At this point I would have paid $500 for the shoes if I'd known how much they were going to help. I am still wearing them all the time, tried to wear my running shoes yesterday for an hour and I couldn't believe the difference. I would never have expected this much pain relief from a pair of shoes...bear in mind that my primary problem is TTS not PF - I don't know if it would be the same for a PF sufferer. I will give the shoes two good weeks try before I start on the Celebrex...otherwise I won't know what is helping - the shoes or the drugs.

caryne on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010965)

I've been on celebrix for a month and no improvement at all in fact it's worse!

john h on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010937)

wendy: i have been on celebrix for 2 weeks and have no side effects yet. i am on 100mg twice a day with meals.

john a on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010940)

Hmmm, the Montereys I'm finding look like the classic Birk with a hard cork insole, and a hard EVA outsole. Perhaps the thin suede insole covering is the softness you're referring to?

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Styles/Classics/Slipons/monterey.html

wendyn on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010943)

I don't know a lot about birks (this is my first pair). But the sales guy told me not to start with the hard soled birks because I'm having a lot of pain and I have flat feet. He said that if I find the soft ones comfortable, wear them and in about a year or so - try the hard soled ones. They only had about 4 different styles of soft soled ones - I do notice that the picture on the box makes it look as if they are hard soled. (i.e. the picture on the box doesn't really look like the sole of my shoe) This is what else is on the box, maybe it will help you...these things are unbelievably comfortable - I have not taken them off all day. I think I may wear them all the time...let me know if you're able to track them down...

36 Innensohle: echt Leder
230 Fubbett: Naturkork
L5 Obertei: Birko-Flor
nubuk Laufsohle: EVA
Birko-Flor
basalt

Monterey

I don't know if any of this will mean anything to you but I hope it helps.

john a on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010957)

Thannks. My translation is

36 (Euro size) Innersole: Genuine Leather
230 (size in mm) Footbed: Natural Cork
L5 (US ladies size 5) Upper: Birko-Flor (man-made leather-like)
Outersole: Ethyl Vinyl Acetate

Still looks like a standard birk. Guess I have to find one and try it on. Thanks for the info. One last question: how much did they cost you?

wendy2 on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010963)

I asked to try on a regular Birk just to compare, and trust me - the foot beds are completely different. The regular ones are solid - this one you can squish your finger into in spots. I paid $96.00 Canadian, which is a little less than I paid for my New Balance running shoes ($110). At this point I would have paid $500 for the shoes if I'd known how much they were going to help. I am still wearing them all the time, tried to wear my running shoes yesterday for an hour and I couldn't believe the difference. I would never have expected this much pain relief from a pair of shoes...bear in mind that my primary problem is TTS not PF - I don't know if it would be the same for a PF sufferer. I will give the shoes two good weeks try before I start on the Celebrex...otherwise I won't know what is helping - the shoes or the drugs.

caryne on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010965)

I've been on celebrix for a month and no improvement at all in fact it's worse!