Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

16 weeks after surgery

Posted by Lori S on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010959)

Well, it's been 16 weeks after bone spur removal and 2/3 release surgery. My foot is getting much better. It's only pretty sore for the first couple of minutes after standing in the AM. But, even that's getting better. Only problem is that I don't know what has helped... I did the surgery, I've just completed 4 sessions of accupuncture, I've been taking aloe vera capsules, and I'm taking Metabolife. One or all of those has helped tremendously. I guess when I stop taking the aloe vera and Metabolife, I'll know if those are helping.
Whatever it is, my feet are so much better when the end of the teaching day approaches. I don't limp at all anymore. When I've been sitting for long periods of time, the foot is sore as soon as I stand but I can deal with that. I still ice (with the frozen water bottle) at night and do some mild stretching occasionally.
I won't tell my Dr. about the accupuncture YET. Actually, the accupuncturist has only worked a bit on my surgeried foot's ankle and done a bit of laser accupuncture on the ball of the surgeried foot so it shouldn't have interferred with the affects of the surgery. My other foot has a major improvement right after the accupuncture treatments. At this rate, I believe I can stave off surgery on that foot forever!
I don't regret the surgery. I still wish I had tried accupuncture first but I didn't.
Lori in AZ

Re: 16 weeks after surgery

john h on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010960)

sounds good to me lori! i often wonder why one doctor releases 2/3 of the fascia or more and another (mine) released only 20%? i am 3 weeks post op and have soreness at the site of the release which is just on the inside edge of the foot. my swelling is minimal and i can wear any shoes i own. i do ice at least twice daily with an ice pack i purchased from Foot Express. It has velcro straps and can be arranged on your ankle or foot in many ways. i started riding the stationary bike for 30 minutes a day and doing some weights. i do not know but i suspect it will take 6 months before your foot heals to the point that there is no more improvement.

Re: 16 weeks after surgery

john h on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010960)

sounds good to me lori! i often wonder why one doctor releases 2/3 of the fascia or more and another (mine) released only 20%? i am 3 weeks post op and have soreness at the site of the release which is just on the inside edge of the foot. my swelling is minimal and i can wear any shoes i own. i do ice at least twice daily with an ice pack i purchased from Foot Express. It has velcro straps and can be arranged on your ankle or foot in many ways. i started riding the stationary bike for 30 minutes a day and doing some weights. i do not know but i suspect it will take 6 months before your foot heals to the point that there is no more improvement.