Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovery!

Posted by Erik O on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010978)

After four months of unremitting pain, I got serious about getting over this awful, damning injury. For 22 years I averaged running 5 miles a day, I am 58M, and it was killing me to cross the room, much less even think of running. And I was gaining weight from lack of activity. So--I did everything that was talked about on this website: Swimming for exercise (I live near the Pacific, and it was only 60 degrees out there; no barefeet--ever (except standing on one leg in the shower); an orthotic worn always, except when I shuffled around in Birkies; icepacks and Ibu for pain, the slightest twinge; taping constantly, leaving only a bit of 'breathing time' for my feet; holding my foot (toes) 'up' while sitting and driving; stretching my calf before moving from bed or a chair; and other things I cannot recall. Result: Three months later I am a runner again. Need to re-develop my wind, but I can do my 5 miles (did 7 a few days ago) daily, without any--repeat any--after effects. I am 100% recovered. I still don't jump up and down on concrete with bare feet; always stretch my calves; warm up before running; wear an orthotic in good running shoes--but these are just common sense and good habits. I can dance, even, in 'regular' shoes, in which of course I place my orthotic and a heel cushion, just in case. A true success story for any of you who may have lost faith.

Re: Recovery!

JaneK on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010979)

Eric, I'm wondering if your PF was caused by an actual injury that you can recall? A lot of us do the same things but some degree of heel pain remains.

Re: Recovery!

JaneK on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010979)

Eric, I'm wondering if your PF was caused by an actual injury that you can recall? A lot of us do the same things but some degree of heel pain remains.