Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

location of pain - tts

Posted by wendyn on 9/16/99 at 00:00 (010993)

John, I agree that that the Tarsal tunnel area, and where they do the surgery is on the inside of the ankle...however, in my case - there are two nerves being compressed. According to the doctor, one of them supplies the bottom of my foot, the other wraps around underneath the foot and supplies the ouside of my foot - and the area around my baby toe. This is apparently why the pain on my foot seems to move. (Although these nerves all come through the same tunnel - they supply different areas) I suppose with TTS you could have any or all of those nerves entrapped - and this could cause pain in different spots.

Re: location of pain - tts

john h on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011017)

wendy i have made some notes and will ask my doctor on 6 oct (my next visit) if he visually saw any entrapped nerves during my surgery. he noted before my surgery that people could have damaged nerves for whatever cause that could not be released or repaired (ugh).

Wendy on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011030)

Wendy--Trudi here. My pain in my foot does the same thing. Sometimes it is right under the ankle bone and sometimes it is on the top of the foot and sometimes the little toe and the side of the little toe. I couldn't wear my Birkinstocks because the right shoe rubbed the bottom of my little toe in such a way that it was very painful.I finally have an appointment with my podiatrist--our scheclues conflict, but generally, I get more helpful info from other sufferers. My Dr. said that Glucosamine was a scam, and it worked so well for me for my PF, but it hasn't helped much at all with this other thing. Let me know if you get any more info on our weird pains. I just wish that it wouldn't hurt so badly during the night. It wakes me up everytime I stretch my legs. Thanks again---Trudi

wendyn on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011039)

When I was having a lot of problems sleeping, and was in a substantial amount of pain....my doctor suggested I take Elavil. It was originally developed as an anti-depressant, but apparently it is effective in controlling nerve pain and helping you sleep. Fortunately I was able to get the pain under control - but if you're getting desperate you may want to ask. Like anything, there are side-effects, but you can't heal and get through life if you can't sleep.

My feet continue to mysteriously improve. I was at a banquet last night and after a few cocktails decided that I was okay to dance a bit. My feet are a little sore today, but no where near what I would expect to feel after having been on them as much as I have. The swelling and inflammation in my right foot has almost completely disappeared. All I did is start wearking these Birks last Saturday. Will continue to wait and see....

john h on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011017)

wendy i have made some notes and will ask my doctor on 6 oct (my next visit) if he visually saw any entrapped nerves during my surgery. he noted before my surgery that people could have damaged nerves for whatever cause that could not be released or repaired (ugh).

Wendy on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011030)

Wendy--Trudi here. My pain in my foot does the same thing. Sometimes it is right under the ankle bone and sometimes it is on the top of the foot and sometimes the little toe and the side of the little toe. I couldn't wear my Birkinstocks because the right shoe rubbed the bottom of my little toe in such a way that it was very painful.I finally have an appointment with my podiatrist--our scheclues conflict, but generally, I get more helpful info from other sufferers. My Dr. said that Glucosamine was a scam, and it worked so well for me for my PF, but it hasn't helped much at all with this other thing. Let me know if you get any more info on our weird pains. I just wish that it wouldn't hurt so badly during the night. It wakes me up everytime I stretch my legs. Thanks again---Trudi

wendyn on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011039)

When I was having a lot of problems sleeping, and was in a substantial amount of pain....my doctor suggested I take Elavil. It was originally developed as an anti-depressant, but apparently it is effective in controlling nerve pain and helping you sleep. Fortunately I was able to get the pain under control - but if you're getting desperate you may want to ask. Like anything, there are side-effects, but you can't heal and get through life if you can't sleep.

My feet continue to mysteriously improve. I was at a banquet last night and after a few cocktails decided that I was okay to dance a bit. My feet are a little sore today, but no where near what I would expect to feel after having been on them as much as I have. The swelling and inflammation in my right foot has almost completely disappeared. All I did is start wearking these Birks last Saturday. Will continue to wait and see....