Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

wendy2--any news from your Dr. on TTS

Posted by AndreaB on 9/16/99 at 00:00 (011003)

I have been out of town since last Friday. Didn't see a post but am dying to know what the conlusion he came to (if any?) on TTS. Also there are so many Wendys, are you now WendyN?

Re: wendy2--any news from your Dr. on TTS

wendyn on 9/16/99 at 00:00 (011004)

Yes, we are one in the same...

My bone scans of my entire lower body came back fairly normal. I do not have any sign of 'Ankolsing Spondylitis' (My head is too plugged up with a bad cold for me to care much about spelling). As a result, he agrees with the diagnosis of TTS. This based on my nerve conduction tests - and because they've pretty much ruled out everything else. He listed my options off on a little blackboard as something along the lines as follows (which basically agrees with what I've read)....

Moderating activity i.e. rest (if I rested any more I'd be in bed all day)
Orthotics
Herbal medicine
Extended trial of anti-inflammitories
Physio with or without accupuncture
Cortisone
Surgery

He would like me to start a 2 and a half month trial of Celebrex. I am debating this for a few different reasons. First - I have had periods (prior to May) where my foot appeared completely well - only to go for a walk and have devastating pain and inflammation return. If the drugs bring me only back to this point - I haven't really gained anything. Second, my son had a very serious reaction to pencillin a few years ago - and since then I am terrified of medications (with some good cause I suppose). Third, my feet seem to be doing somewhat better with these new Birks - I guess I will wait another week or two to see what happens with the new shoes. It's already been almost a year...what's another two weeks!?!?!? I may go back and discuss the herbal option first, since he brought it up. I already have orthotics, which I recently changed - and I did go to physio for a while, not sure if it helped or not. I am not big on the cortisone idea.

john h on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011013)

wendy: i posted that i read an article in Arthritis Today about 'soft tissue arthritis' which can cause PF. Have you checked that out? It would take a rehumatologist to make the diagnosis. i still have swelling (not major) in the area of the tarsal tunnel release and some soreness. after 25 days i expect that is normal. although i am walking without a limp and ride a stationary bike i have soreness in my toe and at the incision site so it is to early for me to know if this surgery has worked. i am taking celebex. had a reaction to sulfa one time (swollen mouth) and never took it again. usually your first reaction to a drug that you are allergic to is not very bad. it is the second one that gets severe.

wendyn on 9/16/99 at 00:00 (011004)

Yes, we are one in the same...

My bone scans of my entire lower body came back fairly normal. I do not have any sign of 'Ankolsing Spondylitis' (My head is too plugged up with a bad cold for me to care much about spelling). As a result, he agrees with the diagnosis of TTS. This based on my nerve conduction tests - and because they've pretty much ruled out everything else. He listed my options off on a little blackboard as something along the lines as follows (which basically agrees with what I've read)....

Moderating activity i.e. rest (if I rested any more I'd be in bed all day)
Orthotics
Herbal medicine
Extended trial of anti-inflammitories
Physio with or without accupuncture
Cortisone
Surgery

He would like me to start a 2 and a half month trial of Celebrex. I am debating this for a few different reasons. First - I have had periods (prior to May) where my foot appeared completely well - only to go for a walk and have devastating pain and inflammation return. If the drugs bring me only back to this point - I haven't really gained anything. Second, my son had a very serious reaction to pencillin a few years ago - and since then I am terrified of medications (with some good cause I suppose). Third, my feet seem to be doing somewhat better with these new Birks - I guess I will wait another week or two to see what happens with the new shoes. It's already been almost a year...what's another two weeks!?!?!? I may go back and discuss the herbal option first, since he brought it up. I already have orthotics, which I recently changed - and I did go to physio for a while, not sure if it helped or not. I am not big on the cortisone idea.

john h on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011013)

wendy: i posted that i read an article in Arthritis Today about 'soft tissue arthritis' which can cause PF. Have you checked that out? It would take a rehumatologist to make the diagnosis. i still have swelling (not major) in the area of the tarsal tunnel release and some soreness. after 25 days i expect that is normal. although i am walking without a limp and ride a stationary bike i have soreness in my toe and at the incision site so it is to early for me to know if this surgery has worked. i am taking celebex. had a reaction to sulfa one time (swollen mouth) and never took it again. usually your first reaction to a drug that you are allergic to is not very bad. it is the second one that gets severe.