Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

celebrex/sulpha

Posted by wendyn on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011018)

John, you've been on the Celebrex for a while - and are obviously okay - but Celebrex is not recommended for any one who has had a reaction to Sulpha. I remembered reading it before, so I just went back in my history file to some of the drug sites I had checked out on it. May be worth mentioning to your doctor. My son was only 1 at the time, it was his second time on penicillin, and he was on his 6th day of treatment when the rash started. Because they believed he had this terrible ear infection, they then switched him to a sulpha-eryth. drug. He got much worse, swelled up like a balloon with huge welts. Only problem is - we don't know if it was just the pencillan or the sulpha drug too - therefore he can't take either one. That's why I noticed the caution on the Celebrex, guess I made a mental note that it's one more thing he can't take.

Re: celebrex/sulpha

john h on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011027)

wendy: i will re-read all the info on celebrix. i had a one time reaction to sulfa (swelling) and have never used it since. I have been on celebrix about 2 weeks. will check this out immediately. thanks.

john h on 9/19/99 at 00:00 (011067)

wendy: i went to drugstore.com and looked up all the info on celebrex and you are correct in that they recommed that you not use it if you have had a 'severe' or some such word to sulfa a long list of other drugs. since i have been taking it for two weeks and nothing has happened i will finish out this prescription to see if it works. thanks.

john h on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011027)

wendy: i will re-read all the info on celebrix. i had a one time reaction to sulfa (swelling) and have never used it since. I have been on celebrix about 2 weeks. will check this out immediately. thanks.

john h on 9/19/99 at 00:00 (011067)

wendy: i went to drugstore.com and looked up all the info on celebrex and you are correct in that they recommed that you not use it if you have had a 'severe' or some such word to sulfa a long list of other drugs. since i have been taking it for two weeks and nothing has happened i will finish out this prescription to see if it works. thanks.