Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes for work and play

Posted by Rod M on 9/17/99 at 00:00 (011033)

I was wondering if I could have some feeback from fellow PF suffers (especially in Australia) about what shoes are easily accessible in Aus (or the net) for work (office) and play.

Are there better runners , sandels etc... to look for. I know that people have mentioned Birks and New Balance and Nike Air but hope that I can find others to look at, try on and even purchase.

I have some old Nike Airs which have seen better days and will be looking at buying some new ones soon. Have always found Nike to be extremely comfortable and supportive.

Website addresses would be good if anyone has them.

Re: Shoes for work and play

Dorothy M. on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011036)

Get the Birkenstock insole (it has a blue satin cover) and is available through Birkenstock (www.Birkenstock.com) and I got it from QVC (www.iqvc.com) -- They're about $40 and worth every penny. (I also have custom made orthotics but they go only in my sneakers) The Birkenstock insoles go in all my shoes (except sandles) and I'm even able to wear dress shoes. Good luck.

Robin B on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011051)

Rod, I suggest you plow through researching the board and Scott's main document. There are probably more posts about shoes on this board than anything else.

It appears to be a tremendously individual thing. Some people swear by athletic shoes and have their favorite make and model. I myself am a devoted Birkenstock wearer. In fact, I have thrown away all my other shoes and have resigned myself to a life of Birkenstock. For me, they felt wonderful from day 1.

My best suggestion is to go to the very best shoe store (or two) that you have locally and try on absolutely everything. Then you can always research on the Internet to get what you want at a good price.

Mary Lou on 9/23/99 at 00:00 (011178)

I am finally getting some relief by wearing Nike Air - running shoes with a large heel wedge and NO buildup on the ball of the foot. I have experienced a huge improvement after wearing these shoes only a couple of times. Also, the Nike Air golf shoes helped me. I think my original problem started by wearing too-flat shoes on the golf course.

Dorothy M. on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011036)

Get the Birkenstock insole (it has a blue satin cover) and is available through Birkenstock (www.Birkenstock.com) and I got it from QVC (www.iqvc.com) -- They're about $40 and worth every penny. (I also have custom made orthotics but they go only in my sneakers) The Birkenstock insoles go in all my shoes (except sandles) and I'm even able to wear dress shoes. Good luck.

Robin B on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011051)

Rod, I suggest you plow through researching the board and Scott's main document. There are probably more posts about shoes on this board than anything else.

It appears to be a tremendously individual thing. Some people swear by athletic shoes and have their favorite make and model. I myself am a devoted Birkenstock wearer. In fact, I have thrown away all my other shoes and have resigned myself to a life of Birkenstock. For me, they felt wonderful from day 1.

My best suggestion is to go to the very best shoe store (or two) that you have locally and try on absolutely everything. Then you can always research on the Internet to get what you want at a good price.

Mary Lou on 9/23/99 at 00:00 (011178)

I am finally getting some relief by wearing Nike Air - running shoes with a large heel wedge and NO buildup on the ball of the foot. I have experienced a huge improvement after wearing these shoes only a couple of times. Also, the Nike Air golf shoes helped me. I think my original problem started by wearing too-flat shoes on the golf course.