Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nordic track Ellipse Machine

Posted by kevin G on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011034)

I am convinced that my PF condition was caused by using the Nordic Track Ellipse exercise machine. The eliptical manner in which it stretches your leg/heel in my lay opinion aggravates a pre-existing PF condition or may actually be the cause. I am looking to hear from anybody with a similar complaint. I have contacted Nordic track to see if anybody other than myself has made a complaint such as this.

Re: Nordic track Ellipse Machine

Deena on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011046)

I took a couple of the hot summer months off from weekly competative running and spent alot of time inside on the X-country skiier which is very similar to the Nordic track. It simulates the action of skiing though with poles. After reading your comments, I'm intrigued. Ironically, I thought that I would reduce heel pain by avoiding the constant pounding of daily running. Obviously this may not be the case. I was stretching my calfs after 30 minutes on the skiier 3 to 4 times a week but not before. Interested to see if others reply.

DebiM on 9/20/99 at 00:00 (011080)

This is all very interesting as my dr. told me to use the eliptical machine, as well as the stationary bike. So far so good. I also bought a very inexpensive ($12.95) arch brace and am taking ibuprofen regularly and the tootsies are feeling a little better.

Joanna on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011270)

I am PF sufferer and am desperate to do some form of aerobic activity. I tried the Ellipse at the gym as someone in the summer had commented on how the Nordic track worked well for them. however after ~ 5 minutes I was limping secondary to a 'pulling' sensation on the ball of my foot. I limped for 2 days after that. I have tried it a couple of times since than and have tried to alter my technique. Try not to push up off the ball of your foot, (as in my opinion that can cause enough repetitive strain to inflame the plantar fascia as it stretches it)Good luck. But bottom line, if it still continues to aggravate it, do not do it.

Beth D. on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011280)

Joanna,

I had trouble using the Nordic Track-pulled on my calves which hurt my heels. I have found that using the bike and swimming to be the best aerobic outlets for me. I'm able to lift weights for my upper body and to do ab exercises. I've been staying away from any lower body weights. I've been stretching three times a day consistently and feel ok 60-70% of the time. Hope you find something that works.

Beth

Deena on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011046)

I took a couple of the hot summer months off from weekly competative running and spent alot of time inside on the X-country skiier which is very similar to the Nordic track. It simulates the action of skiing though with poles. After reading your comments, I'm intrigued. Ironically, I thought that I would reduce heel pain by avoiding the constant pounding of daily running. Obviously this may not be the case. I was stretching my calfs after 30 minutes on the skiier 3 to 4 times a week but not before. Interested to see if others reply.

DebiM on 9/20/99 at 00:00 (011080)

This is all very interesting as my dr. told me to use the eliptical machine, as well as the stationary bike. So far so good. I also bought a very inexpensive ($12.95) arch brace and am taking ibuprofen regularly and the tootsies are feeling a little better.

Joanna on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011270)

I am PF sufferer and am desperate to do some form of aerobic activity. I tried the Ellipse at the gym as someone in the summer had commented on how the Nordic track worked well for them. however after ~ 5 minutes I was limping secondary to a 'pulling' sensation on the ball of my foot. I limped for 2 days after that. I have tried it a couple of times since than and have tried to alter my technique. Try not to push up off the ball of your foot, (as in my opinion that can cause enough repetitive strain to inflame the plantar fascia as it stretches it)Good luck. But bottom line, if it still continues to aggravate it, do not do it.

Beth D. on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011280)

Joanna,

I had trouble using the Nordic Track-pulled on my calves which hurt my heels. I have found that using the bike and swimming to be the best aerobic outlets for me. I'm able to lift weights for my upper body and to do ab exercises. I've been staying away from any lower body weights. I've been stretching three times a day consistently and feel ok 60-70% of the time. Hope you find something that works.

Beth