Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Unhappy Anniversary

Posted by BillC on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011037)

It was a year ago today that my PF (both feet) started during a hiking trip on the Appalachian Trail. I have not been able to hike since. The most I can do is walk about a mile. I have taken up bicycle riding but I miss hiking. My plan was to hike all of the AT, a section at a time. Well I did 560 miles of the 2160. Only 1600 undone. I will hope for the possibility of a miracle cure and maybe I can finish some day. Considering maybe going under the knife. I also came down with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome with my arms/wrist/hands. Could PF and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome be somehow related. Heal Heel.

Re: Unhappy Anniversary

wendyn on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011038)

I don't know of any connection between PF and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - but I understand that there is a connection between Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome...I don't know a lot about the connection, just that there is one.

pete on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011049)

i have carpel tunnel like symptoms although it's not real bad...interestingly, those symptoms came on about 6 months prior to my pf, and i've had both ever since(about 6 yrs)...along with tingling in the feet for the last 2-3 years. i've also recently (last 2-3 years) noticed my circulation getting real bad (i'm only 36, and healthy looking)...I went to an doctor who's an md, but practices more in the altenrative medicine realm...he ran a (non) serum mineral test on me, and found out i am very low in magnesium...he said that can cause constriction of blood vessels/arteries, and also cause tight muscles. I'm thinking/hoping this is what has caused my poor circulation, and tight muscles (tight calves/achilles causes pf)...also, if enough blood isn't getting to your nerves, that can create tingling...he says though that oral magnesium supplements probably won't be enough to get me back to normal, so he is suggesting i give myself shots for 2-4 months, or come in for magnesium iv treatments. i will start the above in 1-2 wks, and will see how it goes...if i get any relief i'll post it on the board.

Robin B on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011050)

I have had PF for about a year and a half now, although it is considerably better than it was at the beginning. But, about 4 years ago I had a very serious case of carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. I could barely open a book, couldn't hold a pen, couldn't type, etc. It took me about 6-8 months to non-surgically rid myself of it and fortunately I have been fine since (although I still use mental CTS splints at the first twinge of anything).

There was a woman on the message board way back 8 or 9 months ago named Diane R. -- she made several posts about non-specific connective tissue disorders, which she had. For myself, I tend to think along the same lines. CTS four years ago, now PF as well as osteoarthritis (I am 50) -- kind of points to something in the connective tissue realm to me.

I CAN tell from experience that carpal tunnel is easier to work on than plantar fasciitis. If you can make some progress and healing in either your hands or your feet, you will feel a little more encouraged and more in control of your health. Hope that happens for you Bill.

KaraM on 9/19/99 at 00:00 (011057)

Hi BillC
I know COMPLETELY what you mean, it's been 3 years since I started out on my NOLS semester in the Rockies course. At the end of it is when I broke my hip (stress fracture) and have never been the same since (sciatica and PF in both feet)
I used to dream about the day I could go backpacking again in Southern Utah with 50+ pounds on my back, now I just dream about the day I can hike a few miles with my trusty leki poles and no weight!
Hey have you tried using walking poles?
Don't loose hold of you dream of the AP trail, someday it will happen!
Kara

wendyn on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011038)

I don't know of any connection between PF and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - but I understand that there is a connection between Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome...I don't know a lot about the connection, just that there is one.

pete on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011049)

i have carpel tunnel like symptoms although it's not real bad...interestingly, those symptoms came on about 6 months prior to my pf, and i've had both ever since(about 6 yrs)...along with tingling in the feet for the last 2-3 years. i've also recently (last 2-3 years) noticed my circulation getting real bad (i'm only 36, and healthy looking)...I went to an doctor who's an md, but practices more in the altenrative medicine realm...he ran a (non) serum mineral test on me, and found out i am very low in magnesium...he said that can cause constriction of blood vessels/arteries, and also cause tight muscles. I'm thinking/hoping this is what has caused my poor circulation, and tight muscles (tight calves/achilles causes pf)...also, if enough blood isn't getting to your nerves, that can create tingling...he says though that oral magnesium supplements probably won't be enough to get me back to normal, so he is suggesting i give myself shots for 2-4 months, or come in for magnesium iv treatments. i will start the above in 1-2 wks, and will see how it goes...if i get any relief i'll post it on the board.

Robin B on 9/18/99 at 00:00 (011050)

I have had PF for about a year and a half now, although it is considerably better than it was at the beginning. But, about 4 years ago I had a very serious case of carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. I could barely open a book, couldn't hold a pen, couldn't type, etc. It took me about 6-8 months to non-surgically rid myself of it and fortunately I have been fine since (although I still use mental CTS splints at the first twinge of anything).

There was a woman on the message board way back 8 or 9 months ago named Diane R. -- she made several posts about non-specific connective tissue disorders, which she had. For myself, I tend to think along the same lines. CTS four years ago, now PF as well as osteoarthritis (I am 50) -- kind of points to something in the connective tissue realm to me.

I CAN tell from experience that carpal tunnel is easier to work on than plantar fasciitis. If you can make some progress and healing in either your hands or your feet, you will feel a little more encouraged and more in control of your health. Hope that happens for you Bill.

KaraM on 9/19/99 at 00:00 (011057)

Hi BillC
I know COMPLETELY what you mean, it's been 3 years since I started out on my NOLS semester in the Rockies course. At the end of it is when I broke my hip (stress fracture) and have never been the same since (sciatica and PF in both feet)
I used to dream about the day I could go backpacking again in Southern Utah with 50+ pounds on my back, now I just dream about the day I can hike a few miles with my trusty leki poles and no weight!
Hey have you tried using walking poles?
Don't loose hold of you dream of the AP trail, someday it will happen!
Kara