Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Low carb diet ,How do they affect PF?

Posted by Jennifer J. on 9/19/99 at 00:00 (011069)

I've read alot of comments on low-carb diet and pf. Is this being used to lose weight to help allieviate the symptoms or are carbs someway aggravating the PF? Hope to hear from someone.

Re: Low carb diet ,How do they affect PF?

Sarah on 9/20/99 at 00:00 (011086)

The answer is yes and yes. First, I am trying to loose weight which I am hoping will take some stress off of my feet. Scott's study suggested that somewhere around 67% of people surveyed found improvement from weight loss. Secondly, I have recently hired a personal trainer who has a degree in Kinesiology and he advised me to stop eating breads and pasta except in the morning. His explanation was as follows: just as gas goes into a car and produces carbon monoxide, breads go into your body and produce lactic acid. Lactic acid is stored in one's muscles and tendons which cause tightening and cramping in one's muscles. I felt an immediate improvement when I eliminated breads and pasta from my diet and can walk heel to toe w/o my orthodics, barefoot.

Ivy L on 9/21/99 at 00:00 (011112)

A word of caution about lo-carb dieting...

I started the Atkin's diet, and felt relief so quickly that I went almost completely overboard, eating next to no carbs at all(neither starch nor vegetable). Within a week, I found myself in terrible pain -- in my back! It seems my kidneys were not too thrilled with what I was doing...

Now, I have eliminated most cereals and grains, eat lots of veggies, and high quality protein. Things are balancing out a lot better, and both back and feet are on the mend. :)

Jean B. on 9/21/99 at 00:00 (011120)

I tried the low carb diet for the two weeks 'Induction' period and was totally miserable...my PF wasn't affected at all and though I did lose 7 pounds I was totally miserable and concerned regarding the lack of vegetables and fruit. I am now back to counting calories on a program of increased protein, some fruit, lots of veggies and no starch.

Sarah on 9/20/99 at 00:00 (011086)

The answer is yes and yes. First, I am trying to loose weight which I am hoping will take some stress off of my feet. Scott's study suggested that somewhere around 67% of people surveyed found improvement from weight loss. Secondly, I have recently hired a personal trainer who has a degree in Kinesiology and he advised me to stop eating breads and pasta except in the morning. His explanation was as follows: just as gas goes into a car and produces carbon monoxide, breads go into your body and produce lactic acid. Lactic acid is stored in one's muscles and tendons which cause tightening and cramping in one's muscles. I felt an immediate improvement when I eliminated breads and pasta from my diet and can walk heel to toe w/o my orthodics, barefoot.

Ivy L on 9/21/99 at 00:00 (011112)

A word of caution about lo-carb dieting...

I started the Atkin's diet, and felt relief so quickly that I went almost completely overboard, eating next to no carbs at all(neither starch nor vegetable). Within a week, I found myself in terrible pain -- in my back! It seems my kidneys were not too thrilled with what I was doing...

Now, I have eliminated most cereals and grains, eat lots of veggies, and high quality protein. Things are balancing out a lot better, and both back and feet are on the mend. :)

Jean B. on 9/21/99 at 00:00 (011120)

I tried the low carb diet for the two weeks 'Induction' period and was totally miserable...my PF wasn't affected at all and though I did lose 7 pounds I was totally miserable and concerned regarding the lack of vegetables and fruit. I am now back to counting calories on a program of increased protein, some fruit, lots of veggies and no starch.