Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

well, finally healing up

Posted by laurie m. on 9/20/99 at 00:00 (011093)

here it is, nearly 1 1/2 years after being diagonsed with PF and i feel as if i have finally begun the healing process. the excruciating pain has left and i have minimal pain (probably a 4 on a scale of 1-10) in my feet and ankles at this point. deciding i can live with sore feet in the mornings, tired feet after teaching all day. i just could not exist any longer with that excruciating stabbing pain that stemmed in my feet, into my ankles and up my legs. it's been a haul. for me, the key is resting my feet and giving them some non weightbearing time so they can actually start to heal and the ligaments etc. begin to attach. i started with PF in only my left foot, as the year progressed i know it is in my right foot as well.

a few things i have done:
rest, rest ... rest.
iontopheresis (8 rounds)
custom made orthodics which i wear all the time, though i am not sold on them.
minimal taping as directed by DR
2 cortisone shots 1.5 years ago in left foot. (didn't even feel the shots going in, due to the mega inflamation etc.)
creams from ibu creams to ARTH-Rx from walmart
soaking my feet - lounging in a hot tub or a foot bath
massaging
ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE
heating pad
some stretching
elevating whenever able to (even at meetings - feet UP)
prescription anti-inflams - i think they work if the gut can tolerate them.
advil................gut action/reaction again.

i dunno, it is all coming together. actually the thing that i have not been able to conquer is losing weight. i think if i could lose 60 pounds i would be feeling fantastic. i know the routes to take to do so, but have lacked in willpower thus far. also i break a lot of rules and i do walk barefoot now at home after work...

i believe the rest for me was the key factor. it only makes sense that if a part of our body is failing, we ease up and try to heal it. one thing i have realized is i had to go through all that severe pain and discomfort to get to this point of feeling better. it almost seems like the whole PF needs to do it's cycle.

now i walk 3 blocks in the evenings and ride the exercise bike 3 nights a week. taking it sloooooooooow.

this board pulled me through and continues to pull me through. i appreciate all of your advice, efforts and sharing. thanks very much.

best of luck to everyone.

laurie

Re: well, finally healing up

john hg on 9/22/99 at 00:00 (011128)

laurie: this board needs more positive comments like yours as they provide 'hope'! i was worried about gaining weight after my surgery but actually lost 8 lbs. probably from hopping around on crutches and being to much trouble to make it to the frige for my nightly fix.

Re: well, finally healing up

john hg on 9/22/99 at 00:00 (011128)

laurie: this board needs more positive comments like yours as they provide 'hope'! i was worried about gaining weight after my surgery but actually lost 8 lbs. probably from hopping around on crutches and being to much trouble to make it to the frige for my nightly fix.