Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Soft" Birkenstocks

Posted by wendyn on 9/20/99 at 00:00 (011097)

We had quite a discussion a few days ago about my 'soft' Birkenstocks. I had posted that they were quite comfortable - and this generated a lot of confusion, since apparently Birks only come in a hard cork sole.

I called the Birkenstock store I purchased the shoes from. According to the man who sold them to me, Birkenstock started producing a 'soft soled' sandal about 2 years ago. It is the traditional cork foot bed, with a foam covering and then a soft suede on top. He told me that it is only available in these four styles

Monterey (The one I purchased)
Milano
Boston
Florida

I was not able to get any info on the different types of footbeds from the 1-800 number I reached after using Scott's home page link. I did send them an Email asking for clarification on the foot beds, but to date - I have not received a response. If I ever get one, I'll post it. My only guess at this point is that some distributors carry the soft soles, and some don't - doesn't sound very likely though.

I have worn these sandals for a week straight now. My feet continue to feel better than they have in a long time. I still get a lot of pain when standing for long periods (like grocery shopping). But I don't have any leg pain, or any shooting pain. The swelling and inflammation in my foot seems to have disappered. I will continue to wear them and see what happens!!!!!

Re: "Soft" Birkenstocks

john a on 9/21/99 at 00:00 (011101)

Thanks Wendy for your efforts to get to the bottom of this 'soft birk' mystery. As I recall from recently browsing my Birk catalog (which I don't happen to have in from of me right now), those four styles you mention may be the same ones listed near the back of the catalog under the non-leather alternatives. I wonder if they are the same? But probably not, since they make no mention of a soft innersole, although they do mention the suede covering.

Re: "Soft" Birkenstocks-To Wendy

Nancy T. on 9/24/99 at 00:00 (011217)

Wendy: I have ordered a pair of Bostons today, and now I am wondering if I should have requested this model in 'soft' footbed, or does this particular model automatically come with the softer footbed?
Am looking forward to trying them out. Has your PF continued to feel better wearing the Birks?

wendyn on 9/25/99 at 00:00 (011234)

I'm not sure if the Boston type come in both, but I would specify just to make sure.

My feet still feel pretty good, I have over-done it the past couple days though. I can do all the basic things around the house without any significant pain (except standing in the kitchen for very long). I'm able to sleep at night without pain, and I can walk with less pain - pain level of 2 or 3 as compared to 7 or 8. I still don't walk farther than 2 blocks at any time. I went grocery shopping for over an hour last week, and I thought I was going to die after about 20 minutes, but for most of the summer I would not have even lasted the 20 minutes. Just a reminder, my foot pain is primarily from TTS not PF, so my experience can't really attest to whether or not Birks help with PF. I think the shoes are helping me for a couple different reasons.

1. They are nice and loose, and don't constrict my foot at all - this has allowed the swelling to go down substantially.

2. There isn't any pressure on the Tarsal Tunnel area because they are strapless sandals.

3. I have a terrible habit of curling my toes and walking on the outsides of my feet when barefoot. Some time ago I read that this can cause TTS. Wearing the Birks all the time prevents me from curling my feet.

Although I know this probably won't cure me, for now it enables me to face every day without unbearable pain. I have a more 'normal' life right now than I have had in almost 6 months. Thank God for small miracles....!

Re: "Soft" Birkenstocks

john a on 9/21/99 at 00:00 (011101)

Thanks Wendy for your efforts to get to the bottom of this 'soft birk' mystery. As I recall from recently browsing my Birk catalog (which I don't happen to have in from of me right now), those four styles you mention may be the same ones listed near the back of the catalog under the non-leather alternatives. I wonder if they are the same? But probably not, since they make no mention of a soft innersole, although they do mention the suede covering.

Nancy T. on 9/24/99 at 00:00 (011217)

Wendy: I have ordered a pair of Bostons today, and now I am wondering if I should have requested this model in 'soft' footbed, or does this particular model automatically come with the softer footbed?
Am looking forward to trying them out. Has your PF continued to feel better wearing the Birks?

wendyn on 9/25/99 at 00:00 (011234)

I'm not sure if the Boston type come in both, but I would specify just to make sure.

My feet still feel pretty good, I have over-done it the past couple days though. I can do all the basic things around the house without any significant pain (except standing in the kitchen for very long). I'm able to sleep at night without pain, and I can walk with less pain - pain level of 2 or 3 as compared to 7 or 8. I still don't walk farther than 2 blocks at any time. I went grocery shopping for over an hour last week, and I thought I was going to die after about 20 minutes, but for most of the summer I would not have even lasted the 20 minutes. Just a reminder, my foot pain is primarily from TTS not PF, so my experience can't really attest to whether or not Birks help with PF. I think the shoes are helping me for a couple different reasons.

1. They are nice and loose, and don't constrict my foot at all - this has allowed the swelling to go down substantially.

2. There isn't any pressure on the Tarsal Tunnel area because they are strapless sandals.

3. I have a terrible habit of curling my toes and walking on the outsides of my feet when barefoot. Some time ago I read that this can cause TTS. Wearing the Birks all the time prevents me from curling my feet.

Although I know this probably won't cure me, for now it enables me to face every day without unbearable pain. I have a more 'normal' life right now than I have had in almost 6 months. Thank God for small miracles....!