Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hospital Study

Posted by Connie T. on 9/21/99 at 00:00 (011103)

I have had PF for ten years and have tried everything including numerous surgeries! I found this article in the 9.19 issue of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle:
Hospital will study those with heel pain

Strong Memorial Hospital is looking for people whose heels hurt. The hospital is part of a national study of a new device to treat chronic heel pain, or plantar fasciitis. The device--called the OssaTron--sends shock waves through the heel, similar to how lithotripsy crushes kidney stones.

Volunteers must be older that 21 and have suffered chronic heel pain six months or more.

For more information, call 1-800-371-9298.

I've called and left the pertinent information. The criteria for participation is that you must be under a doctor's care and have tried at least three different treatment modalities.

Hopefully I'll have a shot at the study because the hospital is part of the University of Rochester and I'm a UR employee! I've been reading about this device and that it's not yet been approved for use in the US. I urge people to contact their local teaching hospitals to see if they are participating in the study. Hopefully this device will bring relief to the thousands of people who dread getting out of bed in the morning because of the pain that awaits them.

I'll keep everyone posted through this board.