Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Partial PF release surgery question

Posted by el j on 9/22/99 at 00:00 (011146)

The surgery for plantar fasciitis is to go in and cut the plantar fascia. The fascia is a band of tissue which helps hold the form of the foot. Fascia is found around all of the muscles in the body. In plantar fasciitis it is an envelope around the muscles on the bottom of the foot which gets tight and inflamed. Before the doctor performed my surgery he pinpointed the area of my feet which was most inflamed and cut almost under that area. This works on the premise that if you release the portion of the 'envelope' which is bad good tissue will replace the damaged. Rest after surgery is essential as well as a cam walker (3 weeks for me) and 5 weeks rest. My surgery was 15 July and I feel so much better.

Re: Partial PF release surgery question

Yvonne C on 9/22/99 at 00:00 (011131)

I had Partial PF release surgery in Jan 99. I believe it would have worked if I had not walked out of the doctors office and back to work, per his instructions. He did not tell me to rest or do anything in particular. I am worse now than I was before I got it done. If anyone is thinking about getting this done, make sure you have time to rest after.

john h on 9/22/99 at 00:00 (011145)

john: having a 20% release certainly relieved a lot of the tension in my entire fascia as i can feel it with my fingers. many doctors feel that if you release to much of the fascia you will have structural problems with your foot down the road as the fascia provides some stability for the foot. the other consideration is your pain may very well not be caused by the fascia. in the old days they used to release the entire fascia so who really knowns.

Yvonne C on 9/22/99 at 00:00 (011131)

I had Partial PF release surgery in Jan 99. I believe it would have worked if I had not walked out of the doctors office and back to work, per his instructions. He did not tell me to rest or do anything in particular. I am worse now than I was before I got it done. If anyone is thinking about getting this done, make sure you have time to rest after.

john h on 9/22/99 at 00:00 (011145)

john: having a 20% release certainly relieved a lot of the tension in my entire fascia as i can feel it with my fingers. many doctors feel that if you release to much of the fascia you will have structural problems with your foot down the road as the fascia provides some stability for the foot. the other consideration is your pain may very well not be caused by the fascia. in the old days they used to release the entire fascia so who really knowns.