Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shoes, shoes and more shoes

Posted by el J on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011258)

Birkenstocks and Mephisto do not work for me. I am 8 weeks post EPF surgery one of the things the ortho doc and the person who made my orthodics said was I would feel better with a shoe with a higher heel. I wear a lace up shoe with a wedge of 1 1/4- 1 1/2 inch with an orthodotic and it does feel better. I wear clinic shoes ('renew' or 'refresh' styles) or Barefoot Freedom 'bounce'. My favorite is the bounce because it is a much better shoe with more support and a lightweight rocker bottm. Both kind of shoes can be obtained from othopedic shoe stores. Bounce is approx $159 and the clincs are approx $75. If you do work which requires you to be on your feet a lot, the lace up with the support mat work better than a sandal.

Re: shoes, shoes and more shoes

Wanda M on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011246)

I feel your pain!!! Let someone else take the shoes back you really dont need to be doing any extra walking if you dont have to. I work construction work so I really know how you feel, and the lost feelings you are haveing. I cant wear any kind of tennis shoes NB or any kind for over 30 min,they all hurt my feet and I guess I've tried them all. Try wearing the Birks for a while and them take them off, also put shocks on that helps my feet, you must break them in easy. I wear a pr of Redwings for work and bought the best insert they have and its not to bad, and theyre steel toes at that. Check the web and go back and read what has been said about a cream called Piroxicam Cream . I rub that on my feet every morning before I go out into the field to work and it will take the pain away for about 4 hrs. Dont give up just keep reading the post and Dr your self for these Drs are not doing to good of a job, its still a big money thing for most of them.

Lou on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011253)

We have talked about shoes a lot. Click on SEARCH at the top of the screen and type in shoes. Or you might try typing in a certain brand of shoe for a quicker search.

I like Birkenstocks. I was off this summer and wore nothing but them. Most people seem to like the ARizona style of Birks, but I found the Florida style more comfortable, though I'm not sure why. I think the footbed is the same, but the three straps seem to fit my feet better.

I also LOVE my Mephistos and plan to buy more. I needed something professional for when I returned to work this fall and the Mephistos are doing well. I know they're more expensive than most shoes, but my God, these are my feet we're talking about here. I think they're worth it.

Barb H on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011255)

I live in my Mephistos... I have two pair of orthotics and they do squat... I need some new shoes before the snow flies and the only kind that I will even consider buying are Mephistos..Who cares how much they cost... For me they work!!!!

Judy T. on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011261)

I have bought Birks (their ok) and N.B. sneakers with my ortho's and since I have gone back to work (in a school), I needed something a little more professional. After trying on numerous Mephisto's, Clarks, Eccos and tons of other very expensive brands I have finally settled on Rockports. Bought a couple of pairs in the beginning of Sept. with removable inserts. They have a strap across the front and another one (in Penny's catalog) has a X shape on top.....they are the most comfortable shoes I had purchased...that is until last night. Went to a Walking Shoes store and tried on Rockport shoes that look like clogs. They also have the removable insert but they are so comfortable I wore them out this a.m. to church WITHOUT my orthos. I know I need to wear my orthos so I won't do that again but they really are the most comfortable shoes and I am having such good luck with all the styles of Rockports. The best part is that they all average around 65.00 not 200.00 plus. Just wanted to share this....

Judy T. on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011262)

Forgot to mention....I bought a pair of Dansko Clogs 2 wks. ago and had to take them back...they killed my feet. Also $ is not a object here. Was all set to lay out whatever it took to purchase Mephisto's ...as long as they were comfortable. I was disappointed in them as I have heard nothing but great things about them. Just be sure to give the Rockports a try. They may save you $-they did me.

Nancy T. on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011279)

I, too, bought two pair of Dansko clogs two weeks ago and had to send them back. They killed me! So, I have opted to try Birks Boston, and am now awaiting their arrival. I think I could just not tolerate any kind of heel height, and am hopeful that the flatter Birks will do the trick.

Sue C on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011298)

I went to Europe in June and bought five pairs of shoes. Wolky Clogs, Wolky sandals, Mephisto Mules(lower clog). I had bought Mephisto Rush at $250.00 before I left on the basis you get what you pay for. Wrong.. In fact I'm dreading using them this fall now that the weather is changing. At that price I should love them. Now for the breakdown. The rush model is just too flat and although people rave about support I don't think it has great arch support. I have New Balance running shoes. When you remove the footbed for an orthotic they seem extremely flimsy to me. I like the elevated heel of a clog however the inside is very rough feeling on my foot. After a month they have stretched out and now I make a shuffling noise as I walk. It's good timing as now they are sufficiently stretched out to accomodate socks. Birks were a bust my back would hurt after a couple of hours. I think SAS are much too soft. I wore a Clark desert boot with a 1 inch heel and Birk orthotics all last winter. Needless to say I am still looking for shoe recommendations.

Judy T. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011341)

Hope your new Birks work out. If not, give the Rockports a try. The heel height is just about 1' and when your remove the insole and put in orthotics, they really feel very comfortable. They have good support and like I mentioned before they don't cost as much as Mephistos. I paid about 65.00 for mine but you can get them on sale if you watch for Pennys catalog. I paid 45.00 for a pair last month. Good luck. Oh yes, I was glad to hear someone else returned the Dansko clogs. I was beginning to think that it was me...so many people rave about them. I find them extremely uncomfortable after about a hr.

iris on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011350)

After purchasing many different types and brands of shoes, I have finally found the best for me. DANSKO clogs with the back strap- they must have the strap - with ones without the strap are too wide and difficult to walk in. The clog cost about 90 dollars and come in several colors- I purchased them in beige, navy, black and brown - I am set for the winter. I still have pain and discomfort but it isn't because of the shoes - they are the best choice for me. Better than my inserts and sneakers! I returned the 250 dollar Mephisto shoes - I have enjoyed the Mephisto sandals. I wish you success.

Sue C on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011358)

Dansko has a new dress clog out. It feels very smooth and soft on the inside. Unfortunately it does not have a backstrap. I find after a breaking in period they get stretched out and sloppy. What models did you buy?

Nancy T. on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011377)

Hi Judy: I only lasted in the Dansko about an hour and 1/2. Just were not for me, I guess. They mostly felt 'too high' for me, if you know what I mean. I think my calf muscles have shortened up with PF, and the Dansko's were really uncomfortable. So...ordered a pair of Boston Birks, which should arrive here shortly. They are alot lower than the Danskos, and hopefully will be better for me. Will let you know...Danskos are OUT for me!

Wanda M on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011246)

I feel your pain!!! Let someone else take the shoes back you really dont need to be doing any extra walking if you dont have to. I work construction work so I really know how you feel, and the lost feelings you are haveing. I cant wear any kind of tennis shoes NB or any kind for over 30 min,they all hurt my feet and I guess I've tried them all. Try wearing the Birks for a while and them take them off, also put shocks on that helps my feet, you must break them in easy. I wear a pr of Redwings for work and bought the best insert they have and its not to bad, and theyre steel toes at that. Check the web and go back and read what has been said about a cream called Piroxicam Cream . I rub that on my feet every morning before I go out into the field to work and it will take the pain away for about 4 hrs. Dont give up just keep reading the post and Dr your self for these Drs are not doing to good of a job, its still a big money thing for most of them.

Lou on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011253)

We have talked about shoes a lot. Click on SEARCH at the top of the screen and type in shoes. Or you might try typing in a certain brand of shoe for a quicker search.

I like Birkenstocks. I was off this summer and wore nothing but them. Most people seem to like the ARizona style of Birks, but I found the Florida style more comfortable, though I'm not sure why. I think the footbed is the same, but the three straps seem to fit my feet better.

I also LOVE my Mephistos and plan to buy more. I needed something professional for when I returned to work this fall and the Mephistos are doing well. I know they're more expensive than most shoes, but my God, these are my feet we're talking about here. I think they're worth it.

Barb H on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011255)

I live in my Mephistos... I have two pair of orthotics and they do squat... I need some new shoes before the snow flies and the only kind that I will even consider buying are Mephistos..Who cares how much they cost... For me they work!!!!

Judy T. on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011261)

I have bought Birks (their ok) and N.B. sneakers with my ortho's and since I have gone back to work (in a school), I needed something a little more professional. After trying on numerous Mephisto's, Clarks, Eccos and tons of other very expensive brands I have finally settled on Rockports. Bought a couple of pairs in the beginning of Sept. with removable inserts. They have a strap across the front and another one (in Penny's catalog) has a X shape on top.....they are the most comfortable shoes I had purchased...that is until last night. Went to a Walking Shoes store and tried on Rockport shoes that look like clogs. They also have the removable insert but they are so comfortable I wore them out this a.m. to church WITHOUT my orthos. I know I need to wear my orthos so I won't do that again but they really are the most comfortable shoes and I am having such good luck with all the styles of Rockports. The best part is that they all average around 65.00 not 200.00 plus. Just wanted to share this....

Judy T. on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011262)

Forgot to mention....I bought a pair of Dansko Clogs 2 wks. ago and had to take them back...they killed my feet. Also $ is not a object here. Was all set to lay out whatever it took to purchase Mephisto's ...as long as they were comfortable. I was disappointed in them as I have heard nothing but great things about them. Just be sure to give the Rockports a try. They may save you $-they did me.

Nancy T. on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011279)

I, too, bought two pair of Dansko clogs two weeks ago and had to send them back. They killed me! So, I have opted to try Birks Boston, and am now awaiting their arrival. I think I could just not tolerate any kind of heel height, and am hopeful that the flatter Birks will do the trick.

Sue C on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011298)

I went to Europe in June and bought five pairs of shoes. Wolky Clogs, Wolky sandals, Mephisto Mules(lower clog). I had bought Mephisto Rush at $250.00 before I left on the basis you get what you pay for. Wrong.. In fact I'm dreading using them this fall now that the weather is changing. At that price I should love them. Now for the breakdown. The rush model is just too flat and although people rave about support I don't think it has great arch support. I have New Balance running shoes. When you remove the footbed for an orthotic they seem extremely flimsy to me. I like the elevated heel of a clog however the inside is very rough feeling on my foot. After a month they have stretched out and now I make a shuffling noise as I walk. It's good timing as now they are sufficiently stretched out to accomodate socks. Birks were a bust my back would hurt after a couple of hours. I think SAS are much too soft. I wore a Clark desert boot with a 1 inch heel and Birk orthotics all last winter. Needless to say I am still looking for shoe recommendations.

Judy T. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011341)

Hope your new Birks work out. If not, give the Rockports a try. The heel height is just about 1' and when your remove the insole and put in orthotics, they really feel very comfortable. They have good support and like I mentioned before they don't cost as much as Mephistos. I paid about 65.00 for mine but you can get them on sale if you watch for Pennys catalog. I paid 45.00 for a pair last month. Good luck. Oh yes, I was glad to hear someone else returned the Dansko clogs. I was beginning to think that it was me...so many people rave about them. I find them extremely uncomfortable after about a hr.

iris on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011350)

After purchasing many different types and brands of shoes, I have finally found the best for me. DANSKO clogs with the back strap- they must have the strap - with ones without the strap are too wide and difficult to walk in. The clog cost about 90 dollars and come in several colors- I purchased them in beige, navy, black and brown - I am set for the winter. I still have pain and discomfort but it isn't because of the shoes - they are the best choice for me. Better than my inserts and sneakers! I returned the 250 dollar Mephisto shoes - I have enjoyed the Mephisto sandals. I wish you success.

Sue C on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011358)

Dansko has a new dress clog out. It feels very smooth and soft on the inside. Unfortunately it does not have a backstrap. I find after a breaking in period they get stretched out and sloppy. What models did you buy?

Nancy T. on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011377)

Hi Judy: I only lasted in the Dansko about an hour and 1/2. Just were not for me, I guess. They mostly felt 'too high' for me, if you know what I mean. I think my calf muscles have shortened up with PF, and the Dansko's were really uncomfortable. So...ordered a pair of Boston Birks, which should arrive here shortly. They are alot lower than the Danskos, and hopefully will be better for me. Will let you know...Danskos are OUT for me!