Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovery for this runner

Posted by AlanS on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011276)

Just want to provide some hope to those who have PF and wondering if any relief is possible. My PF ruptured in May running a marathon. Couldn't run even 100 yards for many weeks afterwards. Finally went to podiatrist and with taping, and later orthotics (plus stretching, icing, and ibuprofin) was able to run again. Have been running 50 miles a week for many weeks, and just ran 26.2 miles yesterday, all with no PF symptoms. There is hope; I just wish this would work for everyone, but at least it works for some of us lucky ones.

Re: Recovery for this runner

YokoS on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011278)

Alan, Good to hear your post. Really envy you.
I did same treatments as you did, but cannot run for many months, and gave up upcoming marathon. BUT..........
Since I read your post, my hope is even become stronger.
Thank you.

john h on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011282)

alan & yoko: good news is often worth its weight in gold. We all need 'hope'! Each day i watch my friends 'run' by my house i get down. i would pay a lot of money (already have) to be able to run a pain free 5K. This week in our small city of Little Rock (160,000) we had over 20,000 women run in the Race For A Cure.

Carol A on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011524)

I've had PF for about a year now. I have worn my orthotics about 80% of the time, stretch the arch, etc. etc. etc. I do triathlons and was able to do a few this past summer. Have been trying to get back doing more mileage in my running since I have been feeling good. Went for a short run last night and low and behold as the night went on my PF flared with a vengance. I'm wondering if I had a rupture. I never had pain so bad. I thought for sure I had a fracture in my heel. Crawled all over on my hands and knees today. I told the Dr. that I had bought a pair of Mephistos 4 days ago and wore them continuously because they were a decent looking shoe and had a great arch support and VERY comfortable! I wore them until I decided to get into my running shoes (with the orthotics) and go for a run. Could changing shoes do this? He said 'yes'. So here I am back to square one! Do orthotic wearers use them 100% of the time? I find that these orthotics don't fit in most 'good looking' shoes.

YokoS on 9/26/99 at 00:00 (011278)

Alan, Good to hear your post. Really envy you.
I did same treatments as you did, but cannot run for many months, and gave up upcoming marathon. BUT..........
Since I read your post, my hope is even become stronger.
Thank you.

john h on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011282)

alan & yoko: good news is often worth its weight in gold. We all need 'hope'! Each day i watch my friends 'run' by my house i get down. i would pay a lot of money (already have) to be able to run a pain free 5K. This week in our small city of Little Rock (160,000) we had over 20,000 women run in the Race For A Cure.

Carol A on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011524)

I've had PF for about a year now. I have worn my orthotics about 80% of the time, stretch the arch, etc. etc. etc. I do triathlons and was able to do a few this past summer. Have been trying to get back doing more mileage in my running since I have been feeling good. Went for a short run last night and low and behold as the night went on my PF flared with a vengance. I'm wondering if I had a rupture. I never had pain so bad. I thought for sure I had a fracture in my heel. Crawled all over on my hands and knees today. I told the Dr. that I had bought a pair of Mephistos 4 days ago and wore them continuously because they were a decent looking shoe and had a great arch support and VERY comfortable! I wore them until I decided to get into my running shoes (with the orthotics) and go for a run. Could changing shoes do this? He said 'yes'. So here I am back to square one! Do orthotic wearers use them 100% of the time? I find that these orthotics don't fit in most 'good looking' shoes.