Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Going out on a limb here!!!!

Posted by AndreaB on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011290)

I just had the best weekend in over a year! Pain was around a 0-1 for most of the weekend. Here is what I did--last week I stopped wearing my Birks (which I have not walked without since April) and went barefoot (yes don't boo me here) around the house and wore my hiking boots (no orthotics) when out and about. I actually washed and waxed my car--which I have not done in over a year!!! I am skeptical in saying this cause I know the rules but I actually stood on my feet for 2-3 hours and had no pain. the onset of arch/foot pain while standing usually occurs in less than five minutes. I have always said I am not the typical 'PF suffer' but the minute I talk off my Birks and walk around barefoot I have almost immediate relief. Any thoughts?

Re: Going out on a limb here!!!!

john h on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011292)

there are no hard and fast rules for PF. If it feels good do it as they said in the 60's

john h on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011293)

there are no hard and fast rules for PF. If it feels good do it as they said in the 60's. You probably just sold 100 pairs of hiking boots.

YokoS on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011303)

Andrea, still feel fine? pain is a 0-1?? My pain lavel was stable over the weekend and monday, but severe pain back since this morning.
I don't understand why? I didn't do anything but routine for 3 days, same shoes, almost same food, same weather moreover,no weight gain. No reason to have severe heel pain back. Confused.
Anybody have same experience??

Mary Ann on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011304)

Do you have flat arches? I do and I can't wear Birks. There is a area of my right heel(the one with pf)on the outside that the Birks hit wrong. Around the house I am wearing a pair of Dexter walkmocs,open back. They have a removable foot piece that has a moderate arch. For the most part I have little pain but other than these shoes all I can wear is my tennis shoes with custom orthotics. I am real tired of wearing them. I am afraid to go without some sort of support. But since i got these orthotics my pain has gone from severe to minimal but i wish it would go completely away.

AndreaB on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011307)

Yes Yoko that has happened to me in the past too where I don't change a thing and have an o.k. weekend or a few days and them wham! The pain is back. That is why I sort of said I was 'going out on a limb' because 1.) I was going against the rules of 'no shoes' and 2.) because I was really excited about the little amount of pain only to have it return the next day. But actually this past weekend I had the least amount of pain I have had in a year!

Lee H on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011309)

I have found that there is no rhyme or reason as to why my pf acts up. I can have a relatively good day and the next I am in agony. It doesn't always co-incide with my activity level, shoes, weather, food, or stretching. Pf has a mind of its own. Two or three good days in a row can really have you thinking you might lick this thing and then bang! It's back with a vengence. I guess you just have to enjoy the better days. Good Luck.

LeeH on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011310)

I have found no rhyme or reason to pf. I can have a few good days and think I might finally lick this thing and bang! It comes back with a vengence. Major flare ups do not co-incide with a change in activity level, shoes, weather, diet or stretching. I think PF has a mind of it's own. I guess all we can do is enjoy the good days. Good luck.

wendyn on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011319)

Sometimes I think that perhaps the alignment of the planets affects the pain in my feeet. That, or maybe on days that begin in T, or months with 30 days....sometimes there just doesn't seem to be any reason.....

YokoS on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011334)

Everybody's humor gave me real relief !! I feel that I am not the only one to struggle w/this pain and dilemma. Thank you very much.
Maybe my foot pain related to checking account balance.
Severe pain still continues!!!

john h on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011292)

there are no hard and fast rules for PF. If it feels good do it as they said in the 60's

john h on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011293)

there are no hard and fast rules for PF. If it feels good do it as they said in the 60's. You probably just sold 100 pairs of hiking boots.

YokoS on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011303)

Andrea, still feel fine? pain is a 0-1?? My pain lavel was stable over the weekend and monday, but severe pain back since this morning.
I don't understand why? I didn't do anything but routine for 3 days, same shoes, almost same food, same weather moreover,no weight gain. No reason to have severe heel pain back. Confused.
Anybody have same experience??

Mary Ann on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011304)

Do you have flat arches? I do and I can't wear Birks. There is a area of my right heel(the one with pf)on the outside that the Birks hit wrong. Around the house I am wearing a pair of Dexter walkmocs,open back. They have a removable foot piece that has a moderate arch. For the most part I have little pain but other than these shoes all I can wear is my tennis shoes with custom orthotics. I am real tired of wearing them. I am afraid to go without some sort of support. But since i got these orthotics my pain has gone from severe to minimal but i wish it would go completely away.

AndreaB on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011307)

Yes Yoko that has happened to me in the past too where I don't change a thing and have an o.k. weekend or a few days and them wham! The pain is back. That is why I sort of said I was 'going out on a limb' because 1.) I was going against the rules of 'no shoes' and 2.) because I was really excited about the little amount of pain only to have it return the next day. But actually this past weekend I had the least amount of pain I have had in a year!

Lee H on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011309)

I have found that there is no rhyme or reason as to why my pf acts up. I can have a relatively good day and the next I am in agony. It doesn't always co-incide with my activity level, shoes, weather, food, or stretching. Pf has a mind of its own. Two or three good days in a row can really have you thinking you might lick this thing and then bang! It's back with a vengence. I guess you just have to enjoy the better days. Good Luck.

LeeH on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011310)

I have found no rhyme or reason to pf. I can have a few good days and think I might finally lick this thing and bang! It comes back with a vengence. Major flare ups do not co-incide with a change in activity level, shoes, weather, diet or stretching. I think PF has a mind of it's own. I guess all we can do is enjoy the good days. Good luck.

wendyn on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011319)

Sometimes I think that perhaps the alignment of the planets affects the pain in my feeet. That, or maybe on days that begin in T, or months with 30 days....sometimes there just doesn't seem to be any reason.....

YokoS on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011334)

Everybody's humor gave me real relief !! I feel that I am not the only one to struggle w/this pain and dilemma. Thank you very much.
Maybe my foot pain related to checking account balance.
Severe pain still continues!!!