Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Active release therapy

Posted by Sue C on 9/27/99 at 00:00 (011299)

What is it? Is it worth a try?

Re: Active release therapy

Sue B on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011344)

Active release therapy was developed by Dr. Mike Leahy, a chiropractor in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I had it done in Los Gatos by his brother, Dr. Joe Leahy.

I don't think that it helped me much (maybe a little) although I know someone who found it very helpful. The good news is that I don't think it can hurt you. It only takes a few sessions and the chiro presses and rubs on the feet to break up adhesions that have formed from the PF--he also tries to stretch the muscles in the leg if they are tight. It's not something that goes on forever--it will help you in a few sessions or you will know that it is not going to help.

You can call Dr. Mike Leahy's office in Colorado and he will send you info on it and you can also ask his office for the names of any chiros in your area that are trained in it. 719-473-7000

Good luck. Let us know if you try it and if it helps.
Sue B.

Sue C on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011356)

I live in Los Gatos and I know Dr Leahy's office manager. Please respond in more detail regarding the treatment. Insurance won't pay so I want to research carefully before I try it. I have had PF for a year and have tried many things- icing, stretching taping , over the counter orthotics, custom orthotics, and I have paid particular attention to shoes. NB running shoes, Mephistos, clogs, Clarks, and Wolky's. What is your advice on ACT?

Sue B. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011403)

Hi Sue C.,

Well, I don't have a lot more details. I saw Dr. Leahy about 5 times. I live in LA so it was a bit of a hassle (and expensive) to see him. I went because someone on the board had wonderful results with him. He broke up her adhesions and she became more or less pain free.

I think that he is a very competent and fair, I like his office manager, and his prices are reasonable.

Since I saw him for treatments my right foot has been pretty good--can't say for sure that it is entirely from the ART because I have also been wearing custom orthotics (not his), stretching regularly and sleeping in night splints. Night splints were my idea from reading the message board. They seem to help me a lot. I still know that my right foot isn't quite right, but it is pretty pain free.

As for my left foot--I had a terrible pain up the inside of my left ankle when I went to see him. I was afraid I had TTS. He said that it was just muscle pain from pronation--that I should wear orthotics and rub that muscle gently in my leg 2 or 3 times a day--IT WORKED--thankfully that pain is gone.

However, I still have quite a bad pain on the bottom outside of my left heel--one I didn't have when I saw him 6 months ago. I have decided to have more ART with someone down here in LA--but before I do I may visit Dr. Leahy one more time for his opinion.

I don't see how you could go wrong by seeing him--it's a noninvasive procedure and it's not that expensive. You may even have insurance that covers it. If I lived in Los Gatos I would definitely be seeing him regularly for my other aches and pains. I also have some pain in my wrist and hand (he says it is not carpal tunnel) He did a some work on it that took the pain away for 6 months. No other chiro has been able to help me with the wrist pain.

Feel free to e-mail me. suedusty@aol.com

Sue B.

Sue B on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011344)

Active release therapy was developed by Dr. Mike Leahy, a chiropractor in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I had it done in Los Gatos by his brother, Dr. Joe Leahy.

I don't think that it helped me much (maybe a little) although I know someone who found it very helpful. The good news is that I don't think it can hurt you. It only takes a few sessions and the chiro presses and rubs on the feet to break up adhesions that have formed from the PF--he also tries to stretch the muscles in the leg if they are tight. It's not something that goes on forever--it will help you in a few sessions or you will know that it is not going to help.

You can call Dr. Mike Leahy's office in Colorado and he will send you info on it and you can also ask his office for the names of any chiros in your area that are trained in it. 719-473-7000

Good luck. Let us know if you try it and if it helps.
Sue B.

Sue C on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011356)

I live in Los Gatos and I know Dr Leahy's office manager. Please respond in more detail regarding the treatment. Insurance won't pay so I want to research carefully before I try it. I have had PF for a year and have tried many things- icing, stretching taping , over the counter orthotics, custom orthotics, and I have paid particular attention to shoes. NB running shoes, Mephistos, clogs, Clarks, and Wolky's. What is your advice on ACT?

Sue B. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011403)

Hi Sue C.,

Well, I don't have a lot more details. I saw Dr. Leahy about 5 times. I live in LA so it was a bit of a hassle (and expensive) to see him. I went because someone on the board had wonderful results with him. He broke up her adhesions and she became more or less pain free.

I think that he is a very competent and fair, I like his office manager, and his prices are reasonable.

Since I saw him for treatments my right foot has been pretty good--can't say for sure that it is entirely from the ART because I have also been wearing custom orthotics (not his), stretching regularly and sleeping in night splints. Night splints were my idea from reading the message board. They seem to help me a lot. I still know that my right foot isn't quite right, but it is pretty pain free.

As for my left foot--I had a terrible pain up the inside of my left ankle when I went to see him. I was afraid I had TTS. He said that it was just muscle pain from pronation--that I should wear orthotics and rub that muscle gently in my leg 2 or 3 times a day--IT WORKED--thankfully that pain is gone.

However, I still have quite a bad pain on the bottom outside of my left heel--one I didn't have when I saw him 6 months ago. I have decided to have more ART with someone down here in LA--but before I do I may visit Dr. Leahy one more time for his opinion.

I don't see how you could go wrong by seeing him--it's a noninvasive procedure and it's not that expensive. You may even have insurance that covers it. If I lived in Los Gatos I would definitely be seeing him regularly for my other aches and pains. I also have some pain in my wrist and hand (he says it is not carpal tunnel) He did a some work on it that took the pain away for 6 months. No other chiro has been able to help me with the wrist pain.

Feel free to e-mail me. suedusty@aol.com

Sue B.