Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

35 day update

Posted by john h on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011313)

it has been 35 days since my surgery for tarsal tunnel release, pf release, and chelictomy on big toe. today i walked a mile with little pain and rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes. i do not want to say 'I am healed' as elmer gantry might say but i have come a long way baby. i am on my feet a lot during the day aside from the walking and bike. i could not have done that a month ago. i still have some minor swelling at the end of the day. i am still iceing and taking 200mg of celebrex daily. i hope my recovery continues in this fashion but i have had setbacks before so i am cautiously optimistic.

Re: 35 day update

wendyn on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011318)

Glad to hear you're doing so well John!!I hope everything stays on track for you. I too continue to improve, although it's kind of a mystery. Other than the Birks. Nothing has changed. Swelling is gone, pain level rarely over a 2. Bothered me a bit from too much driving the other day...but I can't complain. I'm still too scared to actually try returning to normal activity - enjoying low pain levels way too much to risk a set back.

Like others, I wonder what I will do when the snow flies. We had a little snow last week - too bad Birks doesn't make a snow boot. Did your doctor ever decide if you did have nerve compression or not?

You know, my feet got worse May 2, and started to improve just a few weeks ago. Would have been _NICE_ if they had decided to be good in the SUMMER! I live in Canada, and our summers are too short to waste sitting around with achey feet. There, NOW I'm finished complaining. Thanks for listening.....

john a on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011321)

It looks like Birkenstock almost *does* make a snow boot! Go to http://www.birkenstock.com and click on 'What's New'. Scroll down to the 'Aspen' from the Footprints collection. This one probably costs $250+.

Nancy T. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011339)

John: I have been following your progress, and I am so happy for you. Semms like you have headed down the right road. Keep up the good work!

john h on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011389)

birkenstock does make a number of shoe inserts which you can try. order a copy of the birkenstock shoe book from their website. i use their 2 piece orthotic (cork & some soft materiaL) in most of my shoes. Cost about $35.00

wendyn on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011318)

Glad to hear you're doing so well John!!I hope everything stays on track for you. I too continue to improve, although it's kind of a mystery. Other than the Birks. Nothing has changed. Swelling is gone, pain level rarely over a 2. Bothered me a bit from too much driving the other day...but I can't complain. I'm still too scared to actually try returning to normal activity - enjoying low pain levels way too much to risk a set back.

Like others, I wonder what I will do when the snow flies. We had a little snow last week - too bad Birks doesn't make a snow boot. Did your doctor ever decide if you did have nerve compression or not?

You know, my feet got worse May 2, and started to improve just a few weeks ago. Would have been _NICE_ if they had decided to be good in the SUMMER! I live in Canada, and our summers are too short to waste sitting around with achey feet. There, NOW I'm finished complaining. Thanks for listening.....

john a on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011321)

It looks like Birkenstock almost *does* make a snow boot! Go to http://www.birkenstock.com and click on 'What's New'. Scroll down to the 'Aspen' from the Footprints collection. This one probably costs $250+.

Nancy T. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011339)

John: I have been following your progress, and I am so happy for you. Semms like you have headed down the right road. Keep up the good work!

john h on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011389)

birkenstock does make a number of shoe inserts which you can try. order a copy of the birkenstock shoe book from their website. i use their 2 piece orthotic (cork & some soft materiaL) in most of my shoes. Cost about $35.00