Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what kind of doctor?

Posted by julie p on 9/28/99 at 00:00 (011320)

My family doctor recommended I see a orthopedic surgeon, however its
seems more people on this site see a podietrist. What are your opinions?

Re: what kind of doctor?

Jane B. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011331)

It has been my experience that the podiatrist is more knowledgable.
It is difficult to find an orthopedic who specializes in feet. All orthos can treat feet but they don't specialize. I have seen 2 orthos and many pods. If I had to do all over my first choice would be to seek a podiatrist who specializes in sports medicine. The podiatrist I have now treats a professional soccer team.. Also I have found a lot of pods are runners and are very familier with pf and treatments. Good luck.
Don't pick just anyone...Do some shopping..Ask some local runners, if you know any.

el J on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011335)

My choice is the orthopedic surgeon. I have found them to be much better trained and informed than podiatrist. Podiatrist were of no help to me at all. My orthopedic surgeon is informed, diagnosed my condition and treated it successfully. I would never submit to any level of treatment from a podiatrist. However, I do think care from a Orthopedic Surgeon is more expensive than care from a podiatrist..this may not be the case.

Kara M on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011351)

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what 'type' of doctor it is, what matters is how knowledgable the person is with your particular problem and how helpful and supportive he/she is. I have seen podiatrists, chiropractors, an orthopedic surgeon,a rolpher, a couple of massage therapists, a physical therapist, etc, etc...
The people who helped me most were those that really cared about my health, and that comes down to what kind of person they are, not what their title is.
So, my advice is try a couple of different things, and stick with your gut feelings about the doctor
good luck
Kara

Jane B. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011331)

It has been my experience that the podiatrist is more knowledgable.
It is difficult to find an orthopedic who specializes in feet. All orthos can treat feet but they don't specialize. I have seen 2 orthos and many pods. If I had to do all over my first choice would be to seek a podiatrist who specializes in sports medicine. The podiatrist I have now treats a professional soccer team.. Also I have found a lot of pods are runners and are very familier with pf and treatments. Good luck.
Don't pick just anyone...Do some shopping..Ask some local runners, if you know any.

el J on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011335)

My choice is the orthopedic surgeon. I have found them to be much better trained and informed than podiatrist. Podiatrist were of no help to me at all. My orthopedic surgeon is informed, diagnosed my condition and treated it successfully. I would never submit to any level of treatment from a podiatrist. However, I do think care from a Orthopedic Surgeon is more expensive than care from a podiatrist..this may not be the case.

Kara M on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011351)

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what 'type' of doctor it is, what matters is how knowledgable the person is with your particular problem and how helpful and supportive he/she is. I have seen podiatrists, chiropractors, an orthopedic surgeon,a rolpher, a couple of massage therapists, a physical therapist, etc, etc...
The people who helped me most were those that really cared about my health, and that comes down to what kind of person they are, not what their title is.
So, my advice is try a couple of different things, and stick with your gut feelings about the doctor
good luck
Kara