Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs

Posted by Jennifer on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011326)

I have been suffering from heel spurs for over three years now. My Dr. and I have tried prescription strength ibuprophen, prescribed heel cups, exercises, a night splint, and all to no avail. I am going back to the Dr. on Oct. 5, and he said the next step would be cortisone shots. What thoughts, comments or suggestions does anyone have?!?

Re: heel spurs

Betty M on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011329)

Cortisone injections help but they provide only temporary relief. They are painful but not unendurable. If you want relief go for the injections, but don't expect that they will contribute to healing, only the temporary relief of pain. That is my experience anyway.

Jan R. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011330)

My first cortisone shot worked great for approximately 6 months. But when the pain came back, it came back with a vengence! It was more painful than it was 6 months before! The next 3 cortisone shots didn't work. Physical therapy was the BEST thing I did for my heel pain! After 4 weeks (2x/wk.) the heel pain was 99% better! I now wear orthotics and haven't had any more heel pain. I do have alot of other foot pain, but that's a different topic. Hope this helps.

YokoS on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011332)

My insurance covers only 3 shots a year. First one worked 2 months, and 2nd one gave me only 3days relief, after that I found this board and got information from other people about shot, that's why I do not go back to Dr. to get a 3rd one.

iris on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011346)

I was finally feeling better one day after 6 months and went to a new doctor that evening. he examined my feet by pressing down on my heels to determine where the pain was the worst. He was going to start to treat me with acupuncture (insurance would pay him -certified but not an omd who was trained in the orient and who has many more years experience!!!
I have been suffering ever since - so PLEASE DO NOT LET SOMEONE(
DOCTOR OR PHYSICAL THERAPIST OR ANYONE) PRESS DOWN ON YOUR HEEL SPURS I feel so foolish - do not let it happen to you.

Betty M on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011329)

Cortisone injections help but they provide only temporary relief. They are painful but not unendurable. If you want relief go for the injections, but don't expect that they will contribute to healing, only the temporary relief of pain. That is my experience anyway.

Jan R. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011330)

My first cortisone shot worked great for approximately 6 months. But when the pain came back, it came back with a vengence! It was more painful than it was 6 months before! The next 3 cortisone shots didn't work. Physical therapy was the BEST thing I did for my heel pain! After 4 weeks (2x/wk.) the heel pain was 99% better! I now wear orthotics and haven't had any more heel pain. I do have alot of other foot pain, but that's a different topic. Hope this helps.

YokoS on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011332)

My insurance covers only 3 shots a year. First one worked 2 months, and 2nd one gave me only 3days relief, after that I found this board and got information from other people about shot, that's why I do not go back to Dr. to get a 3rd one.

iris on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011346)

I was finally feeling better one day after 6 months and went to a new doctor that evening. he examined my feet by pressing down on my heels to determine where the pain was the worst. He was going to start to treat me with acupuncture (insurance would pay him -certified but not an omd who was trained in the orient and who has many more years experience!!!
I have been suffering ever since - so PLEASE DO NOT LET SOMEONE(
DOCTOR OR PHYSICAL THERAPIST OR ANYONE) PRESS DOWN ON YOUR HEEL SPURS I feel so foolish - do not let it happen to you.