Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and arthritis

Posted by alex H on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011340)

I have suffered with PF now for over a year and, as those who have been on this board for a while will know, I have been through all kinnds of treatments. Some success with acupuncture and significant relief from my one cortisone shot back in February. The PF has never gone away - still stiffness and ocasional pain, but I have been able to walk long distances and play golf on a regular basis for the past few months. I had a physical the other day, including standard blood tests and was informed that there is clear evidence of arthritis. Although my foot pains have largely been PF-related, I have had some ongoing ankle pains well above the heel and the Plantar Fascia.

Anyone else seeing possible links bewteen PF and arthritis?

Re: PF and arthritis

Beth D. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011343)

I've wondered the same thing, Alex. The foot I have all the heel pain and burning pain is the same foot whose ankle I broke 15 years ago. I almost wish for some accurate diagnosis now-no matter what it is so I'd be able to treat it.

Beth

Sue C on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011355)

I am wondering the same thing myself. In fact I looked up arthritis in the Merck Medical Manual last nite. I have had PF for exactly one year.Prior to that I had one acute episode of bursitis in the shoulder. Recently, I had swelling and pain on my wrist by my thumb. This week I have searing pain in my shoulder blade. That prompted me to look in a reference manual for connective tissue disorders.

alex H on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011357)

Very interesting. I have twice had serious ligament damage in the same ankle as my PF - once as a youth and then again about 10 yrs ago - I remember the Dr telling me after the second ligament tear that I would be a likely candidate for arthritis later. Incidentally I am 55 yr old male.

Scott - do you know of any links between PF and arthritis?

john h on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011363)

as i recently posted i read an article in 'Arthritis Today' about soft tissue arthritis which can cause PF>

Gina C on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011366)

Have had PF for two and a half years now and was diagnosed with arthritis in the ankle of the my worst PF foot about six months ago. Diagnosis was made from bone scan results. The ankle really doesn't bother me at all compared to the pain of PF, but who knows how things will be in the future.

Linda G on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011380)

I was dx with pf 3 years ago. Been the whole gamit of treatment. Orthotics and birkenstocks have been my savior. Strangely enough, within the last 3 years I've had ganglion cysts, joint pain, muscle pain to the point of total disability. Finally was sent to Rheumatologist. He dx me with rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia. He said my feet have been arthritis related all along even though it started with bone spurs. So I've transferred to the RA groups and have learned a high % of RA patients as mild-severe feet pain. The problem with delayed dx is my blood work as been normal all along. I've learned since then, you can have normal results and still have rheumatoid arthritis. My feet are still the worse part of my body.

Beth D. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011385)

Are there medications you can take for RA?

Beth

john h on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011390)

there are many medications you can take for RA. some are very strong with serious side effects. if you have RA you should certainly be under the care of a rheumatoligist. my wife has RA and her best thearpy is swimming 3-4 times a week.

KARENK on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011405)

You sound just like me. I have also recently gone to a rheumatologist and have started on indomethacin and zantac. It has been like a miracle. No pain!!! I have had rotator cuff surgery(due to bone spur), ganglion cyst removal, carpal tunnel release, bone spurs in back of heels joint pain and muscle pain and diagnosis of pf.

Linda G on 10/02/99 at 00:00 (011428)

Hi John - I've declined the med (plaquenil) my rheumy wants me to start on. I am taking a pain pill (ultram). Does you wife take any of the meds plus swimming. I am really afraid of the drugs and my rheumy gets pretty upset at times. But still supports my decision. I do a lot of holistic therapy.

john h on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011446)

my wife takes fish oil on a regular basis for her rheumatoid arthritis and Didronel for 14 days every three months for osteoporosis. she quit taking other meds (aspirin,etc) some years ago. continues to swim.

Beth D. on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011343)

I've wondered the same thing, Alex. The foot I have all the heel pain and burning pain is the same foot whose ankle I broke 15 years ago. I almost wish for some accurate diagnosis now-no matter what it is so I'd be able to treat it.

Beth

Sue C on 9/29/99 at 00:00 (011355)

I am wondering the same thing myself. In fact I looked up arthritis in the Merck Medical Manual last nite. I have had PF for exactly one year.Prior to that I had one acute episode of bursitis in the shoulder. Recently, I had swelling and pain on my wrist by my thumb. This week I have searing pain in my shoulder blade. That prompted me to look in a reference manual for connective tissue disorders.

alex H on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011357)

Very interesting. I have twice had serious ligament damage in the same ankle as my PF - once as a youth and then again about 10 yrs ago - I remember the Dr telling me after the second ligament tear that I would be a likely candidate for arthritis later. Incidentally I am 55 yr old male.

Scott - do you know of any links between PF and arthritis?

john h on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011363)

as i recently posted i read an article in 'Arthritis Today' about soft tissue arthritis which can cause PF>

Gina C on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011366)

Have had PF for two and a half years now and was diagnosed with arthritis in the ankle of the my worst PF foot about six months ago. Diagnosis was made from bone scan results. The ankle really doesn't bother me at all compared to the pain of PF, but who knows how things will be in the future.

Linda G on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011380)

I was dx with pf 3 years ago. Been the whole gamit of treatment. Orthotics and birkenstocks have been my savior. Strangely enough, within the last 3 years I've had ganglion cysts, joint pain, muscle pain to the point of total disability. Finally was sent to Rheumatologist. He dx me with rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia. He said my feet have been arthritis related all along even though it started with bone spurs. So I've transferred to the RA groups and have learned a high % of RA patients as mild-severe feet pain. The problem with delayed dx is my blood work as been normal all along. I've learned since then, you can have normal results and still have rheumatoid arthritis. My feet are still the worse part of my body.

Beth D. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011385)

Are there medications you can take for RA?

Beth

john h on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011390)

there are many medications you can take for RA. some are very strong with serious side effects. if you have RA you should certainly be under the care of a rheumatoligist. my wife has RA and her best thearpy is swimming 3-4 times a week.

KARENK on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011405)

You sound just like me. I have also recently gone to a rheumatologist and have started on indomethacin and zantac. It has been like a miracle. No pain!!! I have had rotator cuff surgery(due to bone spur), ganglion cyst removal, carpal tunnel release, bone spurs in back of heels joint pain and muscle pain and diagnosis of pf.

Linda G on 10/02/99 at 00:00 (011428)

Hi John - I've declined the med (plaquenil) my rheumy wants me to start on. I am taking a pain pill (ultram). Does you wife take any of the meds plus swimming. I am really afraid of the drugs and my rheumy gets pretty upset at times. But still supports my decision. I do a lot of holistic therapy.

john h on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011446)

my wife takes fish oil on a regular basis for her rheumatoid arthritis and Didronel for 14 days every three months for osteoporosis. she quit taking other meds (aspirin,etc) some years ago. continues to swim.