Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery

Posted by Lori S on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011362)

Randy, PLEASE try accupuncture BEFORE going with surgery! I had surgery 18 weeks ago. I believe it is working but it's taking awhile. I tried accupuncture 4 times on my other foot which also has PF and a spur and it's helped a lot! Surgery is a last resort. My Dr. says that he expects my full recovery from 6 months to a year. My foot DOES feel better than before surgery (I suffered with PF and spurs for over 10 years) but it's been a long hard road to travel and many more months longer to see results.
Lori in AZ

Re: Surgery

joan on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010005)

Good luck, John!!!

joan on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010006)

Good luck to you, John!!!

Nancy T. on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010016)

Good luck, John. We are all pulling for you! Keep us posted..

Margot on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010021)

Ditto, John!

Lori on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010506)

Cory, it depends on the surgery. If it's just PF, most are able to walk immediately. If it's PF release AND spur removal (like I had), the Dr. may have you wait several weeks because spur removal causes a weakness in your heel bone and it could break easily until it's healed. Hope this helps. Glad you had a positive experience. After almost 15 weeks, I'm still having soreness but hope to have none soon!
Lori in AZ

Cory on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010508)

That explains it then, even though I had spurs he didn't remove them. He was very adimant that I walk every hour so the plantar wouldn't re-attach. I do think though that I'm going to work on the stretching/ tapeing and new shoes bit first. Last time he was too eager to do the surgery. (I was his guinnea pig after cadaver work, number 2 I believe. *shudder*) I guess I was desperate. Anyways, hope the pain goes away soon for you!

Cory

john on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010514)

cory: i had surgery 10 days ago and will have sutures out tomorrow. I also had a tarsal tunnel release and a chelictomy on great toe. I have been in a half cast since surgery with no weight bearing. I am anxious to see what doctor says tomorrow. i can tell there is a lot of tenderness where the release was made (20% fascia release) and some tenderness around ankle incision. i had an open procedure. i have read post by several persons who had both open & endoscopice PF release & it appears it is sort of up to the doctor you have. some people have walked from their surgery to their car. some have stayed in a CAM type boot for 6 weeks.

Lola on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010541)

I had the surgery five months ago. I walked out of the hospital and went to Shoney's for breakfast. Followed the doctor's advice (sort of - as much as I could). Went back to teaching two weeks after. I had to have two cordisone shots in June. Still soreness in the morning, but for the first time in seven years, I do not think about my foot all day. I saw my doctor today and even though I am not 100% better (probably more like 85%), he is going to let me start my daily walking routine. Time is a wonderful medicine. Good luck.

John on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010584)

cory: had sutures out today and doctor told me to start weight bearing walking carefully in one week which will be 3 weeks after surgery. this was with an open procedure.

John on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010605)

Lola-do you know what percent of the fascia was released by your doctor?

joan on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010005)

Good luck, John!!!

joan on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010006)

Good luck to you, John!!!

Nancy T. on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010016)

Good luck, John. We are all pulling for you! Keep us posted..

Margot on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010021)

Ditto, John!

Lori on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010506)

Cory, it depends on the surgery. If it's just PF, most are able to walk immediately. If it's PF release AND spur removal (like I had), the Dr. may have you wait several weeks because spur removal causes a weakness in your heel bone and it could break easily until it's healed. Hope this helps. Glad you had a positive experience. After almost 15 weeks, I'm still having soreness but hope to have none soon!
Lori in AZ

Cory on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010508)

That explains it then, even though I had spurs he didn't remove them. He was very adimant that I walk every hour so the plantar wouldn't re-attach. I do think though that I'm going to work on the stretching/ tapeing and new shoes bit first. Last time he was too eager to do the surgery. (I was his guinnea pig after cadaver work, number 2 I believe. *shudder*) I guess I was desperate. Anyways, hope the pain goes away soon for you!

Cory

john on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010514)

cory: i had surgery 10 days ago and will have sutures out tomorrow. I also had a tarsal tunnel release and a chelictomy on great toe. I have been in a half cast since surgery with no weight bearing. I am anxious to see what doctor says tomorrow. i can tell there is a lot of tenderness where the release was made (20% fascia release) and some tenderness around ankle incision. i had an open procedure. i have read post by several persons who had both open & endoscopice PF release & it appears it is sort of up to the doctor you have. some people have walked from their surgery to their car. some have stayed in a CAM type boot for 6 weeks.

Lola on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010541)

I had the surgery five months ago. I walked out of the hospital and went to Shoney's for breakfast. Followed the doctor's advice (sort of - as much as I could). Went back to teaching two weeks after. I had to have two cordisone shots in June. Still soreness in the morning, but for the first time in seven years, I do not think about my foot all day. I saw my doctor today and even though I am not 100% better (probably more like 85%), he is going to let me start my daily walking routine. Time is a wonderful medicine. Good luck.

John on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010584)

cory: had sutures out today and doctor told me to start weight bearing walking carefully in one week which will be 3 weeks after surgery. this was with an open procedure.

John on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010605)

Lola-do you know what percent of the fascia was released by your doctor?