Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fasciitis

Posted by Harold H on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011373)

I have been diagnosed as having PF by a podiatrist, I 've had the problem since May 1999 and it will not go away no matter what I do. So far, I've had one shot of cortisone, physical therapy, do stretching exercises of the calf, apply ice, apply heat, taken aspirin, advil, celebrex, purchased walking sneakers with very soft padding under the heels and had a custom set of orthotics made through the podiatrist. Nothing seems to help that much and the pain is still with me, particularly when I wake up in the mornings and one and off during the day. Any suggestions anybody. Thanks very much.

Re: Plantar fasciitis

Viola B. on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011378)

For the morning pain, try warming your feet with a heating pad and then massage the bottoms of your feet before getting out of bed. I leave my heating pad plugged in and on top of my bed at all times. When I wake, I reach over and turn it on. When my feet have warmed up, I massage the arches. Usually, they feel sore (at first they were very sore), but I continue to message them until the soreness eases. I also grab my toes and pull them toward me in order to stretch the fascia. I do this (alternating feet) for about 10 minutes. Then I sit on the edge of the bed and slip my feet into the most comfortable shoes I have. This is the only way I have been able to take those first steps in the morning with minimal pain. As for the rest of the day, I am still working on that. I hope this helps. I am still looking for the answer, too. My problem also started in the spring of 1999.

Kathy W. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011419)

I just posted a message for Viola B. with similar advice. The thing I have found that greatly reduces my morning pain is wearing a night splint to bed. I didn't realize how much it helps until I forget to wear it to bed. It is a little uncomfortable...but far less uncomfortable than the awful pain I usually have with the 1st step.

Viola B. on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011378)

For the morning pain, try warming your feet with a heating pad and then massage the bottoms of your feet before getting out of bed. I leave my heating pad plugged in and on top of my bed at all times. When I wake, I reach over and turn it on. When my feet have warmed up, I massage the arches. Usually, they feel sore (at first they were very sore), but I continue to message them until the soreness eases. I also grab my toes and pull them toward me in order to stretch the fascia. I do this (alternating feet) for about 10 minutes. Then I sit on the edge of the bed and slip my feet into the most comfortable shoes I have. This is the only way I have been able to take those first steps in the morning with minimal pain. As for the rest of the day, I am still working on that. I hope this helps. I am still looking for the answer, too. My problem also started in the spring of 1999.

Kathy W. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011419)

I just posted a message for Viola B. with similar advice. The thing I have found that greatly reduces my morning pain is wearing a night splint to bed. I didn't realize how much it helps until I forget to wear it to bed. It is a little uncomfortable...but far less uncomfortable than the awful pain I usually have with the 1st step.