Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carbs Revisited

Posted by Lou on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011374)

Okay, I went on the Atkins diet to lose weight (I didn't) but found that for the first time in over a year I was completely without foot pain. So I'm committed to eating fewer carbs, but I'm wondering if any of you are finding that certain carbs are better than others in terms of reduced pain. I'm thinking of including whole grains, some fruit and vegetables, but excluding sugar and white flour, potatoes, etc.

Re: Carbs Revisited

Gordon on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011384)

If the reason the Low carbs is helping is because of intestinal yeast overgrowth or some other similar problem the whole idea is to starve the yeast from sugar. So if you do eat fruit then mix it in with some other food that doesn't convert to sugars very quickly. Also you can spread teh fruit out into small pieces throughout the day.
I eat raw peanuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seedss, pumkin seeds, etc. and oatmeal with fruit. But first I would get tested to see why your digestion works better without carbs, then you can know how to make the right choices. Otherwise you may get frustrated trying to figure out what works best. Try Great Smokies Labs for testing.

Also, there are specific supplements to correct the digestive disorders. I took raw garlic 3 times a day to helpfix my gut and everything works better now.

I am able to eat more carbs now without the pain because I have corrected my digestion problem, although I am still careful.

Make sue you get lots of Vit C to make up for lack of fruit.

I am now eating carrots, broccoli, spinach, a little rice, a little sweet potato,salmon, eggs, chicken, etc.
No sweets, chips, fast food, bread, muffins, etc.

If you correct the gut problem you may be able to back to a more normal diet except I will never go back to sweets and other simple carbs except for special occasions. Staying lean at 38 feels good.

YokoS on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011406)

I did series of treatment by Dr. Taping, icing, cream, Birks(comfortable shoes) and stretching all I learned from this board.
Seemed like I only ignored Low-carb diet, even though many people posted diet works well for PF and heel pain. Simply, I cannot give up carb and suger!! Too bad!! Even though my first step from bed gave me almost collapse by pain, I still can smile for warm muffin w/jam along w/coffee for breakfast. Is there anyone who has a weak will like me? Whenever I saw posts about successful diet and cure from there, DEPRESSED.

DianeF. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011414)

The lower carbs did not help me but made my feet worse.. almost like when my feet were at their worse, and when I went back to the carbs they started to improve. I do not get carb craving while not eating them and the feet were in so much pain. With the carbs my feet sure felt a lot better! go figure.. sigh. Guess what works for some does not for other. Will stick with my carbs and my birks.:)

Re: Carbs Revisited, for Dianne

Gordon on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011417)

Dianne
If lower carbs made your feet worse for a week or so that is exactly what is supposed to happen if you are causing intestinal yeast overgrowth to die off. Some people will have worse sypmtoms for a week or so. There is a strong possiblity that you need to continue low carbs and go on an anti-yeast diet. This is a long term process (several months).
You should try it for a month before (with exercise etc.) before making a decision. The fact that a change in diet made a difference is significant whether it got worse or better. It shows there is a digestive connection! Go after the clues.

If diet changes made no difference at all then I would say look elsewhere.

Sarah on 10/02/99 at 00:00 (011423)

Personal Trainer w/ a degree in Kiniseology who understands plantar fasciitis took me off of breads and pasta during the first week we were together. I still was permitted to eat potatoes, starchy vegggies, and sugar. I noticed an immediate difference and my feet felt substantially better. He later added back a serving of whole grain cereal in the morning only and ask that I begin to phase out sugar slowly. I have had trouble giving up sugar(in yogurt, hershey bar, ect..) but when you can't eat breads and pasta you really end up getting rid of a lot of sugar that you were consuming before (cake, muffins, fruit grain bars, toast, ect...) He explained that breads and pasta when eaten produce an excess of lactic acid in your body which stores itself in your muscles resulting their tightening and cramping. I also think that Gordon's explanation of digestion issues may bear some legitimate investigation. I urge you to read the articles you can find on the internet about Leaky Gut Syndrome. It is absolutely amazing what a simple shift in my diet has done for reducing my pain. Please read my post above.

DianeF. on 10/02/99 at 00:00 (011424)

Gordon I have tried doing more protein and it bothers my system a lot, do have divert... (sorry forgot how to spell fullname) which messes me up alot. I do not have insurance so cannot see a good doctor about it, the clinic ones don't have a clue of what to do. Also am trying to make do with little money so a low carb diet it just too expensive, have to feed my son too. Will see what I can do but, my feet have been doing very well on a high carb diet. My feet got messed up from the part time jobs I had, so cannot do tho kinds anymore or my feet get worse, so trying my best to do jobs that enable me to sit once in a while. Getting a little depressed some days, just found out I have fibromyalgia and having to deal with that. Sorry for long message but feeling kind of low lately, you deal with one thing and then something else comes along.

Gordon on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011441)

Cutting back on simple carbs doesn't mean you must increase protein significantly, just replace simple carbs with complex carbs. Fibromyalgia diet is the same idea from what I've read. And FM people tend to get PF. Many things affect your pain levels (many variables) so don't be too quick to dump somthing if it doesn't work right away.

Good luck

Gordon on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011384)

If the reason the Low carbs is helping is because of intestinal yeast overgrowth or some other similar problem the whole idea is to starve the yeast from sugar. So if you do eat fruit then mix it in with some other food that doesn't convert to sugars very quickly. Also you can spread teh fruit out into small pieces throughout the day.
I eat raw peanuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seedss, pumkin seeds, etc. and oatmeal with fruit. But first I would get tested to see why your digestion works better without carbs, then you can know how to make the right choices. Otherwise you may get frustrated trying to figure out what works best. Try Great Smokies Labs for testing.

Also, there are specific supplements to correct the digestive disorders. I took raw garlic 3 times a day to helpfix my gut and everything works better now.

I am able to eat more carbs now without the pain because I have corrected my digestion problem, although I am still careful.

Make sue you get lots of Vit C to make up for lack of fruit.

I am now eating carrots, broccoli, spinach, a little rice, a little sweet potato,salmon, eggs, chicken, etc.
No sweets, chips, fast food, bread, muffins, etc.

If you correct the gut problem you may be able to back to a more normal diet except I will never go back to sweets and other simple carbs except for special occasions. Staying lean at 38 feels good.

YokoS on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011406)

I did series of treatment by Dr. Taping, icing, cream, Birks(comfortable shoes) and stretching all I learned from this board.
Seemed like I only ignored Low-carb diet, even though many people posted diet works well for PF and heel pain. Simply, I cannot give up carb and suger!! Too bad!! Even though my first step from bed gave me almost collapse by pain, I still can smile for warm muffin w/jam along w/coffee for breakfast. Is there anyone who has a weak will like me? Whenever I saw posts about successful diet and cure from there, DEPRESSED.

DianeF. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011414)

The lower carbs did not help me but made my feet worse.. almost like when my feet were at their worse, and when I went back to the carbs they started to improve. I do not get carb craving while not eating them and the feet were in so much pain. With the carbs my feet sure felt a lot better! go figure.. sigh. Guess what works for some does not for other. Will stick with my carbs and my birks.:)

Gordon on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011417)

Dianne
If lower carbs made your feet worse for a week or so that is exactly what is supposed to happen if you are causing intestinal yeast overgrowth to die off. Some people will have worse sypmtoms for a week or so. There is a strong possiblity that you need to continue low carbs and go on an anti-yeast diet. This is a long term process (several months).
You should try it for a month before (with exercise etc.) before making a decision. The fact that a change in diet made a difference is significant whether it got worse or better. It shows there is a digestive connection! Go after the clues.

If diet changes made no difference at all then I would say look elsewhere.

Sarah on 10/02/99 at 00:00 (011423)

Personal Trainer w/ a degree in Kiniseology who understands plantar fasciitis took me off of breads and pasta during the first week we were together. I still was permitted to eat potatoes, starchy vegggies, and sugar. I noticed an immediate difference and my feet felt substantially better. He later added back a serving of whole grain cereal in the morning only and ask that I begin to phase out sugar slowly. I have had trouble giving up sugar(in yogurt, hershey bar, ect..) but when you can't eat breads and pasta you really end up getting rid of a lot of sugar that you were consuming before (cake, muffins, fruit grain bars, toast, ect...) He explained that breads and pasta when eaten produce an excess of lactic acid in your body which stores itself in your muscles resulting their tightening and cramping. I also think that Gordon's explanation of digestion issues may bear some legitimate investigation. I urge you to read the articles you can find on the internet about Leaky Gut Syndrome. It is absolutely amazing what a simple shift in my diet has done for reducing my pain. Please read my post above.

DianeF. on 10/02/99 at 00:00 (011424)

Gordon I have tried doing more protein and it bothers my system a lot, do have divert... (sorry forgot how to spell fullname) which messes me up alot. I do not have insurance so cannot see a good doctor about it, the clinic ones don't have a clue of what to do. Also am trying to make do with little money so a low carb diet it just too expensive, have to feed my son too. Will see what I can do but, my feet have been doing very well on a high carb diet. My feet got messed up from the part time jobs I had, so cannot do tho kinds anymore or my feet get worse, so trying my best to do jobs that enable me to sit once in a while. Getting a little depressed some days, just found out I have fibromyalgia and having to deal with that. Sorry for long message but feeling kind of low lately, you deal with one thing and then something else comes along.

Gordon on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011441)

Cutting back on simple carbs doesn't mean you must increase protein significantly, just replace simple carbs with complex carbs. Fibromyalgia diet is the same idea from what I've read. And FM people tend to get PF. Many things affect your pain levels (many variables) so don't be too quick to dump somthing if it doesn't work right away.

Good luck