Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need advice-new PF sufferer in Miss.

Posted by Viola B. on 9/30/99 at 00:00 (011375)

I have been suffering with PF since the spring but just found out what it was when I happened to mention the problem to my internal medicine doctor during a routine exam. He told me to stretch my calf muscles. I got the feeling that PF was not his area. By the way, both feet hurt and they have gotten worse now that I have started back to work after being off for two and a half months. After finding this site, I have tried the morning massages before getting out of bed; it helped. My question: I live in the tri-county area of Jackson, MS. Can anyone recommend a doctor? Also, can anyone recommend some good shoes that can be worn to work and some for casual wear? (I was told that I have flatfeet and a small heel spur in my right foot.) Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need advice-new PF sufferer in Miss.

Kathy W. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011418)

You might look into getting a night splint(s) to wear when you go to bed. It has helped me so much with the awful '1st step' morning pain. I definitely notice a difference when I forget to put it on! Also you might try locating (I got mine at a running store) some good full length arch supports for your shoes. These things have helped me some with the pain. Good luck!

Lynn T on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011451)

I have about the same story as yours! My internal doc said to wear good shoes and buy some inserts. I have found Nike Airs and Easy Spirit clogs to be the best for me so far. I have a pair of Rockports Im breaking in right now that I think are going to be ok. I have only been using a heel gel insert but plan to buy something alittle more supportive and has arch support. I have flat feet and never wear heels but found the Easy spirit clogs with a slight incline to help tremendously!!! Also stretching before getting out of bed!
Hang in there!

Margaret F. on 10/10/99 at 00:00 (011633)

I'm brand new to the site and would have answered sooner..I am also from Jackson and you might try a new dr. at the Sports Medicine Clinic on Fortification...I know 2 of the drs. there and she just arrived in August and they raved on her...specializes only in feet and ankles...if you go, would love to know what she recommends..this is all new to me too and looking for answers.

Kathy W. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011418)

You might look into getting a night splint(s) to wear when you go to bed. It has helped me so much with the awful '1st step' morning pain. I definitely notice a difference when I forget to put it on! Also you might try locating (I got mine at a running store) some good full length arch supports for your shoes. These things have helped me some with the pain. Good luck!

Lynn T on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011451)

I have about the same story as yours! My internal doc said to wear good shoes and buy some inserts. I have found Nike Airs and Easy Spirit clogs to be the best for me so far. I have a pair of Rockports Im breaking in right now that I think are going to be ok. I have only been using a heel gel insert but plan to buy something alittle more supportive and has arch support. I have flat feet and never wear heels but found the Easy spirit clogs with a slight incline to help tremendously!!! Also stretching before getting out of bed!
Hang in there!

Margaret F. on 10/10/99 at 00:00 (011633)

I'm brand new to the site and would have answered sooner..I am also from Jackson and you might try a new dr. at the Sports Medicine Clinic on Fortification...I know 2 of the drs. there and she just arrived in August and they raved on her...specializes only in feet and ankles...if you go, would love to know what she recommends..this is all new to me too and looking for answers.