Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Which program-Lou and Gorden, please read.

Posted by Beth D. on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011387)

I have decided to try the low carb approach for six weeks to see if it makes any difference. I have been to the bookstore and have seen a lot of different books on this-Atkins, Zone, SugarBusters, Protein Power. I need to know which one to get to follow. Lou and Gorden which do you follow? Please let me know here or through my e-mail address: (email removed). Thanks,

Beth

Re: Which program-Lou and Gorden, please read.

mardi brown on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011396)

Hi Beth D., I saw your message and I had to reply. I have been following 'Protein Power' for about a week now, and I love it!!! This is the first diet that I havent found myself starving on. I have lost 3lbs this week! 76 more to go! It is only $6.99 at any of the book stores. There are alot of co-workers at the hospital where I work that are following it too and are pleased. Good luck!

Lou on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011399)

I guess you didn't read my post. I was on Atkins for a month. It helped my pf dramatically, but I didn't lose any weight. So now I'm looking for something that combines the low carb for my feet but also some way to lose weight. But for pf, any low carb might help. It has for me and others. Protein Power looks almost identical to Atkins. And Sugar Busters is similar, but with more options (and more complicated). I'm thinking more towards the glycemic index to distinguish between good carbs and bad carbs. A friend is on the grapefruit diet, which is essentially Atkins plus grapefruit at every meal.

Everybody seems to not be hungry and to lose carb craving on these diets--except me!

Gordon on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011401)

I couldn't recommend a program for several reasons. First I think you need to get tested to find out if there is leaky gut, intestinal yeast overgrowth etc. Then a nutritionalis who is familiar with this type of area could recommend or you could read up on the solutions for the particular problem. In the mean time I would try to stick to a diet that elliminate all the junk carbs (simple carbs) and allows for complex carbs. There probably isn't a diet that works for all of us the same. Depends on the situation.

Exercise every morning is probably as important as the diet because this also helps stabilize blood sugar levels and uses up the carbs. stretch etc.

Sarah on 10/02/99 at 00:00 (011426)

Personal Trainer put me on the following diet which I didin't have to buy a book for:

No breads and past for first week.

Whole grain cereal in the morning only.

You are permitted to eat all other foods including lean meats, veggies (starchy too, but potatoes should eventually be limited to several times only per week), skim milk, dairy, eggs, fish, fruits, and small quantities of legumes and nuts.

Eat things as much as possible in their natural states because things made artificially like fat free salad dressings and margarine are not processed correctly by your body.

In other words use common sense.

Beleive me when I say that I have been on diet after diet since I was a fetus! My mom's OBGYN put her on a diet when she was pregnant for me because she was gaining too much weight!

This combined with regualar workouts w/ personal trainer have helped my foot pain substaintially and I have shed 10 pounds to date.

Sarah

Roberta on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011464)

I agree with everything Sarah and Gordon said. My foot got better simply by eliminating sugar, white flour, and processed foods. I think what is important is the quality of the carb you are eating, rather than the amount. If you eat whole grains - brown rice, quinoa, millet and such I don't think you'll have a problem. (Unless you have candida problems.) Start slowly and start eliminating the 'nonfood' items from you diet (white bread, pastrys, sweets etc). Itis hard at first , but after a couple weeks you'll feel great.

As a runner I personally am a complete carbohydrate fan - as long as one eats enough of protein. But I believe you should get your carbohydrates from vegetables and whole grains.

I personally don't feel a high protein diet is very healthy. But I don't want to start a debate so I won't bother going into details.

mardi brown on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011396)

Hi Beth D., I saw your message and I had to reply. I have been following 'Protein Power' for about a week now, and I love it!!! This is the first diet that I havent found myself starving on. I have lost 3lbs this week! 76 more to go! It is only $6.99 at any of the book stores. There are alot of co-workers at the hospital where I work that are following it too and are pleased. Good luck!

Lou on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011399)

I guess you didn't read my post. I was on Atkins for a month. It helped my pf dramatically, but I didn't lose any weight. So now I'm looking for something that combines the low carb for my feet but also some way to lose weight. But for pf, any low carb might help. It has for me and others. Protein Power looks almost identical to Atkins. And Sugar Busters is similar, but with more options (and more complicated). I'm thinking more towards the glycemic index to distinguish between good carbs and bad carbs. A friend is on the grapefruit diet, which is essentially Atkins plus grapefruit at every meal.

Everybody seems to not be hungry and to lose carb craving on these diets--except me!

Gordon on 10/01/99 at 00:00 (011401)

I couldn't recommend a program for several reasons. First I think you need to get tested to find out if there is leaky gut, intestinal yeast overgrowth etc. Then a nutritionalis who is familiar with this type of area could recommend or you could read up on the solutions for the particular problem. In the mean time I would try to stick to a diet that elliminate all the junk carbs (simple carbs) and allows for complex carbs. There probably isn't a diet that works for all of us the same. Depends on the situation.

Exercise every morning is probably as important as the diet because this also helps stabilize blood sugar levels and uses up the carbs. stretch etc.

Sarah on 10/02/99 at 00:00 (011426)

Personal Trainer put me on the following diet which I didin't have to buy a book for:

No breads and past for first week.

Whole grain cereal in the morning only.

You are permitted to eat all other foods including lean meats, veggies (starchy too, but potatoes should eventually be limited to several times only per week), skim milk, dairy, eggs, fish, fruits, and small quantities of legumes and nuts.

Eat things as much as possible in their natural states because things made artificially like fat free salad dressings and margarine are not processed correctly by your body.

In other words use common sense.

Beleive me when I say that I have been on diet after diet since I was a fetus! My mom's OBGYN put her on a diet when she was pregnant for me because she was gaining too much weight!

This combined with regualar workouts w/ personal trainer have helped my foot pain substaintially and I have shed 10 pounds to date.

Sarah

Roberta on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011464)

I agree with everything Sarah and Gordon said. My foot got better simply by eliminating sugar, white flour, and processed foods. I think what is important is the quality of the carb you are eating, rather than the amount. If you eat whole grains - brown rice, quinoa, millet and such I don't think you'll have a problem. (Unless you have candida problems.) Start slowly and start eliminating the 'nonfood' items from you diet (white bread, pastrys, sweets etc). Itis hard at first , but after a couple weeks you'll feel great.

As a runner I personally am a complete carbohydrate fan - as long as one eats enough of protein. But I believe you should get your carbohydrates from vegetables and whole grains.

I personally don't feel a high protein diet is very healthy. But I don't want to start a debate so I won't bother going into details.