Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain on both sides of my heel up my ankle

Posted by Judy T. on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011458)

Have had PF for about 6 mos. now. Has anyone experienced shooting pains up the back and side of your ankle. This just started a couple of days ago and hurts to even wear a shoe with a back as it is so tender. The pain is located between the ankle bone and bottom of my heel ...not directly on the back of the heel but just to each side of the back of the heel. Just wondering what it is and maybe what the heck is causing this pain now. This is all so discouraging.

Re: Pain on both sides of my heel up my ankle

Jane N on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011460)

I had suddenly had pain on both sides of my heel which increased and found it was a stress fracture. It was caused by the way I was walking due to the PF. Just a thought that you might want to look into.

Kara on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011472)

Hi,
I've exerperienced lots of ankle pain as well, I believe it's due to tight muscles and bad walking and posture habits, So I do lots of stretches to try to stretch out my ankles and hamstrings, sometimes I hear and feel weird popping noises but I am definately improving compared to where I was a couple of months ago when I first tried the stretches and was in complete agony!
Anyway, my problem is termed 'ankle pronation',maybe look it up and see if it fits.
Kara

Lori S on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011475)

Judy, Since my surgery, I sometimes have pain in both ankles. I had the accupuncturist do some work on both ankles and most of the soreness has subsided.
Lori in AZ

Elise on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011491)

I developed pain on the inside of my ankle between the ankle bone and heel about 6 months into my PF. the ankle pain lasted for 6 months and just went away weeks ago. I got new sandals with metarsal support, and within one day of wearing them the ankle pain went away.

Caryne on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011497)

Don't want to scare you but have you had a bone scan? I was having pain up into my ankle and it turns out I now have a stress fracture. Only a bone scan can show that

Jane N on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011460)

I had suddenly had pain on both sides of my heel which increased and found it was a stress fracture. It was caused by the way I was walking due to the PF. Just a thought that you might want to look into.

Kara on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011472)

Hi,
I've exerperienced lots of ankle pain as well, I believe it's due to tight muscles and bad walking and posture habits, So I do lots of stretches to try to stretch out my ankles and hamstrings, sometimes I hear and feel weird popping noises but I am definately improving compared to where I was a couple of months ago when I first tried the stretches and was in complete agony!
Anyway, my problem is termed 'ankle pronation',maybe look it up and see if it fits.
Kara

Lori S on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011475)

Judy, Since my surgery, I sometimes have pain in both ankles. I had the accupuncturist do some work on both ankles and most of the soreness has subsided.
Lori in AZ

Elise on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011491)

I developed pain on the inside of my ankle between the ankle bone and heel about 6 months into my PF. the ankle pain lasted for 6 months and just went away weeks ago. I got new sandals with metarsal support, and within one day of wearing them the ankle pain went away.

Caryne on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011497)

Don't want to scare you but have you had a bone scan? I was having pain up into my ankle and it turns out I now have a stress fracture. Only a bone scan can show that