Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night splints Any help??

Posted by Sue C on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011463)

A doctor recommended wrapping my feet in ace bandages at night in such a way as to create a stretch. This sounds similar to wearing night splints. Does the Strasburg sock do the same thing?

Re: Night splints Any help??

Sue B. on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011466)

I tried the Strassburg sock and found that it completely stretched out by morning and didn't keep my foot at a right angle. However, some people have recommended it.

I lilke the night splints in the Biodex catalog--www.biodex.com or
800-224-6339.

Sue B.

John C. on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011473)

Sue,
I used the Strasburg sock and it worked well for me. It does take some getting used to and you can overdo it if not careful. If you get one, wear it around home when resting and slowly build up time with it. At first, I overdid it and made things worse. Eventually, I got where I could sleep with it on. It seemed to help at the time.

Good luck.

John

Sue C on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011479)

I called several medical supply places as well as checked biodex and they seem to run around $130.00. I may try the sock insted. What brand did you try so I can avoid it?

john h on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011487)

i have used the strausberg sock and it does a reasonalbly good job at low cost. during the night it will tend to losen up if you roll around in bed a lot.

julie p on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011496)

My orthopedic surgeon made my night splints in the office with some sort of fiberglass bonded within a felt lining. They warmed it up, the nurse held in in place for 3 - 4 minutes on my foot held in a 90 degree angle, the entire procedure took place in about 15 minutes. My $10 copay included the cost. I hold them on with Ace bandages. I can hobble in them to the bathroom at night.
The first three weeks I tried them sporadically and would tear them off in the middle of the night, however I have worn them for three nights in a row, the full duration and feel a remarked improvement today in my pain level. (Comical note: when I wake I find myself on my stomach, scrunched low in the bed with my feet hanging off, toes pointed down, the only way to sleep on your tummy with these awful contraptions strapped on.)

John Parker on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011512)

I have had PF for 4 years and bought a night splint 2 1/2 months ago. It has provided the most benefit of any other device. The first couple nights I had to take it off after a few hours due to a burning in my heel, but this gradually went away. While I am not 100% cured I can now standup in the morning with no pain. Only after 5-6 hours walking/standing at work will the pain return, but at a lower level than before the splint.

I got mine from http://www.corflex.com/prod_splint.htm

They charge me $68 + $5 shippping for the adjustable splint. Good Luck!

Sue B. on 10/03/99 at 00:00 (011466)

I tried the Strassburg sock and found that it completely stretched out by morning and didn't keep my foot at a right angle. However, some people have recommended it.

I lilke the night splints in the Biodex catalog--www.biodex.com or
800-224-6339.

Sue B.

John C. on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011473)

Sue,
I used the Strasburg sock and it worked well for me. It does take some getting used to and you can overdo it if not careful. If you get one, wear it around home when resting and slowly build up time with it. At first, I overdid it and made things worse. Eventually, I got where I could sleep with it on. It seemed to help at the time.

Good luck.

John

Sue C on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011479)

I called several medical supply places as well as checked biodex and they seem to run around $130.00. I may try the sock insted. What brand did you try so I can avoid it?

john h on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011487)

i have used the strausberg sock and it does a reasonalbly good job at low cost. during the night it will tend to losen up if you roll around in bed a lot.

julie p on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011496)

My orthopedic surgeon made my night splints in the office with some sort of fiberglass bonded within a felt lining. They warmed it up, the nurse held in in place for 3 - 4 minutes on my foot held in a 90 degree angle, the entire procedure took place in about 15 minutes. My $10 copay included the cost. I hold them on with Ace bandages. I can hobble in them to the bathroom at night.
The first three weeks I tried them sporadically and would tear them off in the middle of the night, however I have worn them for three nights in a row, the full duration and feel a remarked improvement today in my pain level. (Comical note: when I wake I find myself on my stomach, scrunched low in the bed with my feet hanging off, toes pointed down, the only way to sleep on your tummy with these awful contraptions strapped on.)

John Parker on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011512)

I have had PF for 4 years and bought a night splint 2 1/2 months ago. It has provided the most benefit of any other device. The first couple nights I had to take it off after a few hours due to a burning in my heel, but this gradually went away. While I am not 100% cured I can now standup in the morning with no pain. Only after 5-6 hours walking/standing at work will the pain return, but at a lower level than before the splint.

I got mine from http://www.corflex.com/prod_splint.htm

They charge me $68 + $5 shippping for the adjustable splint. Good Luck!