Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks!!

Posted by Denise O on 10/04/99 at 00:00 (011502)

Someone recommended Birks to me, but didn't know of which particular kind are the most helpful for people with PF...Can anyone make any recommendations????? I went into the http://www . sight, but felt more confused!!! HA!!

Re: Birks!!

Jenny L on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011504)

Hi Denise

I LOVE my Birks, have been wearing them since Feb and even though I still think they are great clumpy ugly things I cannot believe how helpful they have been in getting rid of the footpain. Not 100 per cent rid yet, but I'd say about 90, most days. I also have a pair of Scholls sandals which are very comfortable, softer than the Birks, but not as good for walking much.

The only thing I have not yet tried them with, is snow. But they cope fine with the rain, and recently we in London have had plenty of that, and I just brush them over when they are dry with my personal Nubuck brush, also known as a toothbrush (firm one, works a treat on Nubuck and suede).

If you can't get to a store to try them on it's a bit more tricky. Even though the shaped footbed is always the same, there is a slight difference to how the different styles feel. Having said that, I found that nearly every pair I tried on felt ok, but some were just more comfortable than others. If you are looking for sandals - I personally prefer a strap round the back. I have two pairs of sandals and two pairs of closed shoes, and recently I got a pair of the waterproof sort for when I go swimming. Prices are high, but luckily I have managed to get 3 of these pairs on sales, reduced to a nearly manageable price level! The Scholls were on sale as well.

Also got the rigid blue inserts which work ok with winter boots and some of my 'pre-pain' shoes, not all.

When you get round to buying them - remember that they need to be broken in slowly. At first you might think oh no what have I done? but I would recommend wearing them for an hour or so around the house on day one, an hour more the next day, and so on until suddenly without even realising it you are leaping about like a spring lamb.

Sort of.

Good luck!

Jenny in London
where it isn't raining today
but is crispy frosty clear blue sky
cold

Robin B. on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011505)

I pretty much agree with Jenny's post, except that I have been fortunate enough to require almost no break-in period. I wore them for a couple of hours the first day, about half the day the second day, and that's all I wore from the third day on. I have been wearing Birks since last Dec. I have 6 pairs and I think I may end up with them for the rest of my life.

Two suggestions: Try like crazy to get fitted in a real store, preferably a Birkenstock store. Sizes are quite different with Birks. I used to wear a women's size 9 or 9.5. That would translate to a 40 or 41 in the european sizes that Birks use. However, when I was fitted in a Birk store, the size 38 fit me well, and I can also wear a 39. The 40 and 41 were far too large.

Essentially, Birks all share the same footbed. It's the top part that's different. But let me assure you, the top makes a difference in how the shoe feels. My No. 1 preference is the very basic Arizona, which is a 2 strap sandal with no back. Another take on this is the Milano, which is two straps WITH a backstrap. Or the Florida, 3 straps and no back. I have some of the dressier sandals and more closed shoes also -- but Arizona remains my favorite.

Good luck with them. They have changed my life incredibly for the better.

Sarah on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011525)

Birks didn't work for me but a similar shoe called Naots which are made in Isreal have been a godsend. I wear them almost every day. Good Luck!

Jenny L on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011504)

Hi Denise

I LOVE my Birks, have been wearing them since Feb and even though I still think they are great clumpy ugly things I cannot believe how helpful they have been in getting rid of the footpain. Not 100 per cent rid yet, but I'd say about 90, most days. I also have a pair of Scholls sandals which are very comfortable, softer than the Birks, but not as good for walking much.

The only thing I have not yet tried them with, is snow. But they cope fine with the rain, and recently we in London have had plenty of that, and I just brush them over when they are dry with my personal Nubuck brush, also known as a toothbrush (firm one, works a treat on Nubuck and suede).

If you can't get to a store to try them on it's a bit more tricky. Even though the shaped footbed is always the same, there is a slight difference to how the different styles feel. Having said that, I found that nearly every pair I tried on felt ok, but some were just more comfortable than others. If you are looking for sandals - I personally prefer a strap round the back. I have two pairs of sandals and two pairs of closed shoes, and recently I got a pair of the waterproof sort for when I go swimming. Prices are high, but luckily I have managed to get 3 of these pairs on sales, reduced to a nearly manageable price level! The Scholls were on sale as well.

Also got the rigid blue inserts which work ok with winter boots and some of my 'pre-pain' shoes, not all.

When you get round to buying them - remember that they need to be broken in slowly. At first you might think oh no what have I done? but I would recommend wearing them for an hour or so around the house on day one, an hour more the next day, and so on until suddenly without even realising it you are leaping about like a spring lamb.

Sort of.

Good luck!

Jenny in London
where it isn't raining today
but is crispy frosty clear blue sky
cold

Robin B. on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011505)

I pretty much agree with Jenny's post, except that I have been fortunate enough to require almost no break-in period. I wore them for a couple of hours the first day, about half the day the second day, and that's all I wore from the third day on. I have been wearing Birks since last Dec. I have 6 pairs and I think I may end up with them for the rest of my life.

Two suggestions: Try like crazy to get fitted in a real store, preferably a Birkenstock store. Sizes are quite different with Birks. I used to wear a women's size 9 or 9.5. That would translate to a 40 or 41 in the european sizes that Birks use. However, when I was fitted in a Birk store, the size 38 fit me well, and I can also wear a 39. The 40 and 41 were far too large.

Essentially, Birks all share the same footbed. It's the top part that's different. But let me assure you, the top makes a difference in how the shoe feels. My No. 1 preference is the very basic Arizona, which is a 2 strap sandal with no back. Another take on this is the Milano, which is two straps WITH a backstrap. Or the Florida, 3 straps and no back. I have some of the dressier sandals and more closed shoes also -- but Arizona remains my favorite.

Good luck with them. They have changed my life incredibly for the better.

Sarah on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011525)

Birks didn't work for me but a similar shoe called Naots which are made in Isreal have been a godsend. I wear them almost every day. Good Luck!