Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does anyone get better?

Posted by Stuart B on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011506)

Had PF for 2 years, its getting worse and worse, had surgery, done cortisones, done resting. This site offers loads of hope and advice but I would really like to know if anyone has ever successfully been healed (exscuse the pun!) Is this what it means to be down at heal?

Re: Does anyone get better?

john a on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011507)

I don't know about 'down at heel', but it sure feels like I am down in hell... On the up side, my feet do seem to be almost imperceptibly slowly getting better, due to what I'm not sure, perhaps just time.
Of course, I also have a raging cold right now, so that is taking some of my attention away from my feet :-) PS - I'm in my seventh month dealing with this absurdity, a relative neophyte compared to many on this board.

Wendy W on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011509)

I don't know that you are ever 'cured', but YES you do get better. Three months ago, I was in tears over this condition, now I have virtually no pain. (Had it since Dec. 1998). Read, read, and read the messages here; and then try, try, and try until you find that measure of success for your personal condition. There are so many variables that I think I can safely say no one solution is the right one, but there is lots of hope and this is the place to find it.

YokoS on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011516)

If someone ask me whether my spur is gone or not?
I must say heel spur is still existing, but my condition is much improved since I found this board. As Wendy said, I do learn taping, icing from this board (my doctor has never told me). I started to run again little by little. Viola gave me a great idea of using heat pad before getting out of bed, OH!! my first step from bed become excellent since then. Lots of humor made me laugh and wiped out depression. Success stories gave me a huge hope!!.
HEALING!!! NOT HAS BEEN HEALED YET.

Sarah on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011526)

I ahve gotten bettern and recently posted 'What worked for me'. Perhaps something there could help. I have had this condition for two years and reached the worst stage last January 1999.

Stuart B on 10/07/99 at 00:00 (011548)

Sarah, I read your 'what worked for me' incredible. You seemed to have reached amazing levels of recovery, being able to tennis train sounds wonderful, you must be so happy. Thanks for the encouragement.

Jenny L on 10/08/99 at 00:00 (011561)

Certainly have to hope so. My foot pain started last January as a 24hour a day thing. I had been getting twinges for several months before that if I walked a lot, but I didnt worry about it because it was a particular pair of shoes that seemed to be the problem. So I stopped wearing them.

Since Feb I have been wearing Birks and I love them. Icing didn't work for me, used to hurt more than help. I stretch my feet a lot, wiggle them about whenever I'm sitting down, in bed before I get up in the mornings, any possible opportunity. I walk slower than I used to, but walking doesn't seem to be a problem. For a couple of months now the limping has been less, most of the time - if I don't overdo things. Standing for more than about 10 minutes is still a very bad idea, so I have to hope for short queues in the supermarket!

I'd still like to know what starts it all off, but some people have mentioned stress, and I have certainly had a lot of that over the past 3 years or so. I suppose that after a while something somewhere will give, as our bodies try to tell us that 'balance' needs to be restored. Who knows.

In the past few months I have heard of 3 other people having had The Pain, all of them cleared up. One story amused me - I was told that my grandmother, who died some years ago, had developed a heelspur. She was an exceptionally vain woman, and right into her advanced years she insisted on wearing very unsuitable high heeled shoes. So, when the pain began she had all her shoes adjusted - a large hole drilled through them inside so that her heel was not pressing down on anything! Must have helped somehow, eventually it got better, but I don't know how long it took.

So - keep hoping, keep stretching or wiggling or whatever does anything that feels ok, and get heeeeeling.

john h on 10/08/99 at 00:00 (011573)

i think wendy w said it about as well as anyone can put it into words.

Sandy K. on 10/10/99 at 00:00 (011614)

Brilliant thought just hit me. A new therapy benefit of this site is just getting off your feet, reading all the messages is great too.

At least everyone here knows what PF is. Eleven years ago I was diagnosed (after 6 months of very difficult walking) with RSDS. Anyone out there familiar with that one? It stands for Reflex Sympathetic Dystropy Syndrome. It is basically a neurological disorder of the sympathetic nervous system. Eleven years ago it was not common knowledge among doctors, let alone lay persons. I felt so isolated. Thanks to all of you here that at least I have someone to relate to with the PF.
(By the way, they snipped the nerve in the spine that was causing the problem and the RSDS is supposedly gone. Bone is rebuilding, that was the other foot, thus the stress on the one with the PF now.)

john a on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011507)

I don't know about 'down at heel', but it sure feels like I am down in hell... On the up side, my feet do seem to be almost imperceptibly slowly getting better, due to what I'm not sure, perhaps just time.
Of course, I also have a raging cold right now, so that is taking some of my attention away from my feet :-) PS - I'm in my seventh month dealing with this absurdity, a relative neophyte compared to many on this board.

Wendy W on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011509)

I don't know that you are ever 'cured', but YES you do get better. Three months ago, I was in tears over this condition, now I have virtually no pain. (Had it since Dec. 1998). Read, read, and read the messages here; and then try, try, and try until you find that measure of success for your personal condition. There are so many variables that I think I can safely say no one solution is the right one, but there is lots of hope and this is the place to find it.

YokoS on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011516)

If someone ask me whether my spur is gone or not?
I must say heel spur is still existing, but my condition is much improved since I found this board. As Wendy said, I do learn taping, icing from this board (my doctor has never told me). I started to run again little by little. Viola gave me a great idea of using heat pad before getting out of bed, OH!! my first step from bed become excellent since then. Lots of humor made me laugh and wiped out depression. Success stories gave me a huge hope!!.
HEALING!!! NOT HAS BEEN HEALED YET.

Sarah on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011526)

I ahve gotten bettern and recently posted 'What worked for me'. Perhaps something there could help. I have had this condition for two years and reached the worst stage last January 1999.

Stuart B on 10/07/99 at 00:00 (011548)

Sarah, I read your 'what worked for me' incredible. You seemed to have reached amazing levels of recovery, being able to tennis train sounds wonderful, you must be so happy. Thanks for the encouragement.

Jenny L on 10/08/99 at 00:00 (011561)

Certainly have to hope so. My foot pain started last January as a 24hour a day thing. I had been getting twinges for several months before that if I walked a lot, but I didnt worry about it because it was a particular pair of shoes that seemed to be the problem. So I stopped wearing them.

Since Feb I have been wearing Birks and I love them. Icing didn't work for me, used to hurt more than help. I stretch my feet a lot, wiggle them about whenever I'm sitting down, in bed before I get up in the mornings, any possible opportunity. I walk slower than I used to, but walking doesn't seem to be a problem. For a couple of months now the limping has been less, most of the time - if I don't overdo things. Standing for more than about 10 minutes is still a very bad idea, so I have to hope for short queues in the supermarket!

I'd still like to know what starts it all off, but some people have mentioned stress, and I have certainly had a lot of that over the past 3 years or so. I suppose that after a while something somewhere will give, as our bodies try to tell us that 'balance' needs to be restored. Who knows.

In the past few months I have heard of 3 other people having had The Pain, all of them cleared up. One story amused me - I was told that my grandmother, who died some years ago, had developed a heelspur. She was an exceptionally vain woman, and right into her advanced years she insisted on wearing very unsuitable high heeled shoes. So, when the pain began she had all her shoes adjusted - a large hole drilled through them inside so that her heel was not pressing down on anything! Must have helped somehow, eventually it got better, but I don't know how long it took.

So - keep hoping, keep stretching or wiggling or whatever does anything that feels ok, and get heeeeeling.

john h on 10/08/99 at 00:00 (011573)

i think wendy w said it about as well as anyone can put it into words.

Sandy K. on 10/10/99 at 00:00 (011614)

Brilliant thought just hit me. A new therapy benefit of this site is just getting off your feet, reading all the messages is great too.

At least everyone here knows what PF is. Eleven years ago I was diagnosed (after 6 months of very difficult walking) with RSDS. Anyone out there familiar with that one? It stands for Reflex Sympathetic Dystropy Syndrome. It is basically a neurological disorder of the sympathetic nervous system. Eleven years ago it was not common knowledge among doctors, let alone lay persons. I felt so isolated. Thanks to all of you here that at least I have someone to relate to with the PF.
(By the way, they snipped the nerve in the spine that was causing the problem and the RSDS is supposedly gone. Bone is rebuilding, that was the other foot, thus the stress on the one with the PF now.)