Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pregnancy and PF?

Posted by RebeccaB. on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011515)

I used to suffer terribly from PF for years. About 7-8 months ago i was wondering if I should use some $$$ for fertility tx or my feet. I still hadn't decided when surprise surprise i found out I got pg. Even my fertility specilaist was surprised and I don't think too happy as IF patients are wonderful cash-cows. Anyhow... strangely enough my PF has all but completely vanished. To give you an idea... 4 weeks ago we went on a 2 week vacation involving walking about 5-10 miles (in the mountains) a day and lots of driving. And i never had sore feet. Legs yes but the feet were fine. Now, i suppose this is because of the hormone RELAXIN that's supposed to prepare my pelvis for the chore of squeezing out an object the size of a cantaloupe through an opening meant more for something the size of a lemon. I am enjoying the ability to walk so much I am afraid it'll go away after i've had the baby. nayone here have experience about this? Has anyone ever been known to be cured by RELAXIN? Staying preggers for the rest of my life is unfortunatly no option:)

SCOTT if you read this... has anyone (medical co.) ever considered researching if relaxin could be synthezised and injected in the
fascia?

Thanks folks

RebeccaB

Re: Pregnancy and PF?

Maura L. on 10/11/99 at 00:00 (011659)

Rebecca, sorry to burst your optimistic bubble! My PF BEGAN during my pregnancy with my second child, about mid-pregnancy, roughly 2 years ago now. I didn't recognize it for PF at the time, never having heard of PF. I just assumed it was a weird, pregnancy-related variation on the sciatica I'd been having. At that time the PF was mostly in the morning, when I could barely walk--and of course every time I needed to get up to go to the bathroom, which was several times a night by the end! The PF went away after I delivered the baby (perhaps due to losing about 22 pounds fairly rapidly). The PF didn't come back until about 6 months ago, when I was taking a taekwondo class (barefoot high-impact exercising will get you every time!!), and I've now had the PF constantly since then. (Some days are better than others, but I really miss the martial arts, plus my weight has gone up.)

Anyway, enjoy this PF-free time in your life! Perhaps it is the relaxin, who knows? (All I know is, it didn't work for me!)
-Maura

rekha s on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011721)

my god, your pf vanished when you got pregnant? I have never heard of such a thing.

Actually I have been suffering from pf for a year now and am on a diet to lose weight because I want to have children soon (Im 29). The prospect of pregnancy is so scarry because of my chronic pf. I am somewhat overweight and believe that could be contributing to my problem.

Maura L. on 10/11/99 at 00:00 (011659)

Rebecca, sorry to burst your optimistic bubble! My PF BEGAN during my pregnancy with my second child, about mid-pregnancy, roughly 2 years ago now. I didn't recognize it for PF at the time, never having heard of PF. I just assumed it was a weird, pregnancy-related variation on the sciatica I'd been having. At that time the PF was mostly in the morning, when I could barely walk--and of course every time I needed to get up to go to the bathroom, which was several times a night by the end! The PF went away after I delivered the baby (perhaps due to losing about 22 pounds fairly rapidly). The PF didn't come back until about 6 months ago, when I was taking a taekwondo class (barefoot high-impact exercising will get you every time!!), and I've now had the PF constantly since then. (Some days are better than others, but I really miss the martial arts, plus my weight has gone up.)

Anyway, enjoy this PF-free time in your life! Perhaps it is the relaxin, who knows? (All I know is, it didn't work for me!)
-Maura

rekha s on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011721)

my god, your pf vanished when you got pregnant? I have never heard of such a thing.

Actually I have been suffering from pf for a year now and am on a diet to lose weight because I want to have children soon (Im 29). The prospect of pregnancy is so scarry because of my chronic pf. I am somewhat overweight and believe that could be contributing to my problem.