Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shoe inserts/arch supports for casual shoes

Posted by Viola B. on 10/05/99 at 00:00 (011522)

Can anyone recommend a good arch support for casual shoes?

Re: shoe inserts/arch supports for casual shoes

john a on 10/06/99 at 00:00 (011537)

The best full length insole I have tried is the 'green capsule' one from Superfeet. It fits my foot perfectly, and is the most like the custom orthotics I have than any under-$30 insole I have seen. It is fairly stiff and not very soft, but definitely more so than a Birk. I have also tried the Spenco full length insert with heat-moldable arch, but this was too mushy for me, and I could never get the arch to feel right. Then there was the Sorbothane ultra graphite arch insert. This one felt good in the store, but the arch was 'in the wrong place', and I had to return it after only two days. The sharp edges of the arch also were cutting into my shoes! There is a Runners World article comparing (somewhat superficially) about a dozen insoles at http://www.runnersworld.com/shoes/insole.html Good luck!

Debi on 10/07/99 at 00:00 (011552)

where do you find such things?

Viola B. on 10/07/99 at 00:00 (011556)

I ordered an insert/arch support (green one) by Superfeet online from http://www.superfeet.com . I had to get use to it at first (I had never worn an insert/arch support before). At first it felt a little too firm for me, but I am getting use to it now and like it. I bought a Spenco arch support form Lady Footlocker; I found it to be too soft (not enough support under my arch). You can order it online, too (www.footamerica.com).

One thing about the Superfeet Arch Support - you can trim it to fit inside your other shoes; however, you need to put it in a shoe that has a removeable footbed. I doubt that it would fit in any other kind of shoe.

Mary S on 10/09/99 at 00:00 (011596)

Has anyone out there with PF tried the magnetic inserts? I was told they work but haven't tried them.

john a on 10/06/99 at 00:00 (011537)

The best full length insole I have tried is the 'green capsule' one from Superfeet. It fits my foot perfectly, and is the most like the custom orthotics I have than any under-$30 insole I have seen. It is fairly stiff and not very soft, but definitely more so than a Birk. I have also tried the Spenco full length insert with heat-moldable arch, but this was too mushy for me, and I could never get the arch to feel right. Then there was the Sorbothane ultra graphite arch insert. This one felt good in the store, but the arch was 'in the wrong place', and I had to return it after only two days. The sharp edges of the arch also were cutting into my shoes! There is a Runners World article comparing (somewhat superficially) about a dozen insoles at http://www.runnersworld.com/shoes/insole.html Good luck!

Debi on 10/07/99 at 00:00 (011552)

where do you find such things?

Viola B. on 10/07/99 at 00:00 (011556)

I ordered an insert/arch support (green one) by Superfeet online from http://www.superfeet.com . I had to get use to it at first (I had never worn an insert/arch support before). At first it felt a little too firm for me, but I am getting use to it now and like it. I bought a Spenco arch support form Lady Footlocker; I found it to be too soft (not enough support under my arch). You can order it online, too (www.footamerica.com).

One thing about the Superfeet Arch Support - you can trim it to fit inside your other shoes; however, you need to put it in a shoe that has a removeable footbed. I doubt that it would fit in any other kind of shoe.

Mary S on 10/09/99 at 00:00 (011596)

Has anyone out there with PF tried the magnetic inserts? I was told they work but haven't tried them.