Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running shoes feat. "pronation control"?

Posted by Jens R. on 10/08/99 at 00:00 (011566)

Maybe you can help me with this. I plan to get me a pair of real soft running shoes. Browsing the sites of various brands I've noticed that many models feature so called 'pronation-control', which I think somehow influences the twisting motion of your feet. As far as I know, I don't have any problems with my foot pronation. I'm not 'over-pronating' and my PT says it's rather likely I'm pronating too little due to my inflexible joints. So I was wondering if it could be bad for my feet to walk in shoes with 'pronation-control'? I want to improve my PF not make it worse. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jens

Re: Running shoes feat. "pronation control"?

john h on 10/09/99 at 00:00 (011594)

look at the heels on the bottom of your shoes and note how they are wearing. the natural tendancy when you run is to land on the outside of your heel and your foot rolls inward (pronate). if you over pronate your heel will roll to far inward and you may be landing to far on the outside of your heel. ask the shoe sales person to look at your shoe wear pattern as some of these people at the athletic shoe stores do have some knowledge. i would think you would not want a real supple shoe but something like a cross trainer New Balance 852 if you have PF.

Re: Running shoes feat. "pronation control"?

john h on 10/09/99 at 00:00 (011594)

look at the heels on the bottom of your shoes and note how they are wearing. the natural tendancy when you run is to land on the outside of your heel and your foot rolls inward (pronate). if you over pronate your heel will roll to far inward and you may be landing to far on the outside of your heel. ask the shoe sales person to look at your shoe wear pattern as some of these people at the athletic shoe stores do have some knowledge. i would think you would not want a real supple shoe but something like a cross trainer New Balance 852 if you have PF.