Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What Can I Expect After Surgery to Remove Bone Spurs?

Posted by Georgiana G. on 10/08/99 at 00:00 (011578)

Can anyone tell me what to expect if I have surgery for Haglund's Deformity, to remove spurs from both heels? Since I also suffer greatly from tendonitis/carpal tunnel in both my elbows and hands, it is impossible for me to support myself on crutches without placing most of my body weight on my feet (my hands and arms can't support my weight). Will I be able to manage after surgery for both feet at once, or would it be best just to do one heel at a time? My situation is complicated by the fact that I've had one knee replaced and the other knee is badly in need of a total replacement, so climbing and bearing total weight on one leg at a time is very painful. I want to be sure I know what I'll be letting myself in for if I consent to heel surgery. Any input would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: What Can I Expect After Surgery to Remove Bone Spurs?

Bea on 10/08/99 at 00:00 (011587)

My info from numerous cdoctors and practitioners is that surgury fto remove heel spurs is inadvisable. The best thing to do with heel spurs is stretching excercises. That worked for me years ago. With your knee problems I would be very hesitant to have the spurs operated on. My doctor refused to put my foot in a cast because of the added pressure it would put on my knees which I have had problems with in the past.

john h on 10/09/99 at 00:00 (011592)

agree with Bea. all i have read is you do not operate for heel spurs. the spur is just a result of the fascia problem and its removal will not cure the PF.

Lori S on 10/18/99 at 00:00 (011818)

Georgiana, I've included my e-mail address if you want info about my own personal experience with this surgery. Just take off the 'nospam' at the beginning of my e-mail address. To make a long story short, I had a bone spur removed and 2/3 release of the Pf ligament 21 weeks ago today. I was completely off of my feet for 3 weeks because the removal of the spur causes your heel to be very weak and it can break during those first 3 weeks. My other foot became very sore because of all of the weight being shifted to that foot. Only got relief from accupuncture. Still have soreness in the surgeried foot. It gets better then gets sore again. Don't know why. My Dr. says it will take 6 months to a year to heal completely. We shall see. I wouldn't advise anyone to get both feet done at once. Also, I understand that spur removal only does not help, you have to have the PF ligament cut as well. Surgery is a last resort. I've suffered with PF and bone spurs for over 10 years. I got to a point that I didn't care if they cut my feet off I was in so much pain. I'm praying that I will one day be pain free.
Lori in AZ

Bea on 10/08/99 at 00:00 (011587)

My info from numerous cdoctors and practitioners is that surgury fto remove heel spurs is inadvisable. The best thing to do with heel spurs is stretching excercises. That worked for me years ago. With your knee problems I would be very hesitant to have the spurs operated on. My doctor refused to put my foot in a cast because of the added pressure it would put on my knees which I have had problems with in the past.

john h on 10/09/99 at 00:00 (011592)

agree with Bea. all i have read is you do not operate for heel spurs. the spur is just a result of the fascia problem and its removal will not cure the PF.

Lori S on 10/18/99 at 00:00 (011818)

Georgiana, I've included my e-mail address if you want info about my own personal experience with this surgery. Just take off the 'nospam' at the beginning of my e-mail address. To make a long story short, I had a bone spur removed and 2/3 release of the Pf ligament 21 weeks ago today. I was completely off of my feet for 3 weeks because the removal of the spur causes your heel to be very weak and it can break during those first 3 weeks. My other foot became very sore because of all of the weight being shifted to that foot. Only got relief from accupuncture. Still have soreness in the surgeried foot. It gets better then gets sore again. Don't know why. My Dr. says it will take 6 months to a year to heal completely. We shall see. I wouldn't advise anyone to get both feet done at once. Also, I understand that spur removal only does not help, you have to have the PF ligament cut as well. Surgery is a last resort. I've suffered with PF and bone spurs for over 10 years. I got to a point that I didn't care if they cut my feet off I was in so much pain. I'm praying that I will one day be pain free.
Lori in AZ