Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Loss of toe movement from surgery?

Posted by Lori S on 10/11/99 at 00:00 (011658)

I've been wanting to ask those of you who have had PF surgery of any type...did any of you lose movement in any of your toes after surgery? My little toe and the toe next to it don't have the movement they once had. I mean my husband used to call me 'monkey toes' as I could spread them out and change radio stations on the radio and had lots of control over all of them. Now, those two toes move, but they 'stick' together and only move together. Also, I've noticed that when I touch the incision area, I can feel a sensation in those toes. My other foot's toes still have the movement but my surgeried foot's toes do not. It's weird to look at both feet at the same time.
Lori in AZ

Re: Loss of toe movement from surgery?

Hanne J on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011663)

I did too. Can't move my big toe. Surgery did not help at all...

Jane B. on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011664)

Sounds like the possibility a muscle or a tendon could have been damaged or cut during surgery. After I had my surgery, in the recovery room they checked to make sure that I could move all my toes actively. They said this was to make sure the muscles were not cut. If you can move the toes with your hand in full range but cant using your muscles alone then it could be damaged muscle or tendon. Unless, you just had your surgery and its swelling causing it. I would check with another Dr. and see about muscle damage. Loss of toe movement can affect your gait. Good Luck.

john h on 10/13/99 at 00:00 (011702)

when i had my surgery 7 weeks ago i had a pf release,tarsal tunnel release, and a wedge of bone removed from 2nd joint of great toe. i certainly continue to mannually stretch the toe up and down to regain the lost flexability. the toes next to the great toe are not as flexable either. when they do open foot surgery they make big incisions and move muscles,tendons, and all sorts of things around and there is trauma which will have to heal. some of those exercises picking up marbles with your toes and curling your toes to pull a pillow case towards you should help you regain lost mobility.

Hanne J on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011663)

I did too. Can't move my big toe. Surgery did not help at all...

Jane B. on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011664)

Sounds like the possibility a muscle or a tendon could have been damaged or cut during surgery. After I had my surgery, in the recovery room they checked to make sure that I could move all my toes actively. They said this was to make sure the muscles were not cut. If you can move the toes with your hand in full range but cant using your muscles alone then it could be damaged muscle or tendon. Unless, you just had your surgery and its swelling causing it. I would check with another Dr. and see about muscle damage. Loss of toe movement can affect your gait. Good Luck.

john h on 10/13/99 at 00:00 (011702)

when i had my surgery 7 weeks ago i had a pf release,tarsal tunnel release, and a wedge of bone removed from 2nd joint of great toe. i certainly continue to mannually stretch the toe up and down to regain the lost flexability. the toes next to the great toe are not as flexable either. when they do open foot surgery they make big incisions and move muscles,tendons, and all sorts of things around and there is trauma which will have to heal. some of those exercises picking up marbles with your toes and curling your toes to pull a pillow case towards you should help you regain lost mobility.