Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking as Exercise - - Good or Bad??

Posted by Georgiana G. on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011660)

Is walking as a form of exercise hurtful or helpful? It seems that the more I push myself to walk (taking the dogs to the park, etc.) the worse I am getting afterwards. I certainly don't see it as any improvement on the condition in my case. Would it be better to just try stretching exercises, use the exercise bike, and swim?

Re: Walking as Exercise - - Good or Bad??

Beth D. on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011661)

I think it sounds like walking is not good for you if you are getting worse afterwards. In my case, biking is ok. I bike, lift weights and stretch. I did water aerobics (water biking, water walking, scissors, stuff like that) 2-3 times a week for a few months. I discovered that my feet felt worse for a few days afterwards, but attributed it to the PF. I've now quit water aerobics and my feet in general are feeling better. I don't tape my feet at all and have read that taping helps in the water. Proceed with caution! Beth

Jane N on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011662)

I agree with Beth, proceed with caution! I was walking and making my PF worse! My doctor told me I should have cut back when the pain started but I tried to be brave and 'walk through it'. Bad idea! When you do walk, always, always stretch before and after. Good luck and TAKE IT SLOWLY!

Rosemarie P on 10/13/99 at 00:00 (011701)

Had to stop long distance walking, suggest bike much better

Ivy L on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011898)

Rule of thumb: If it hurts, DON'T DO IT!

Walking seems to be the link to my foot injury. I started an exercise program which included walking 4 miles/hour 4 days/week. When the pain started, I 'toughed it out' and now I can barely walk to the corner drugstore without pain.

Stretch, stretch, stretch... ride your bike, but stay off your feet when they hurt...

Good luck!

Beth D. on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011661)

I think it sounds like walking is not good for you if you are getting worse afterwards. In my case, biking is ok. I bike, lift weights and stretch. I did water aerobics (water biking, water walking, scissors, stuff like that) 2-3 times a week for a few months. I discovered that my feet felt worse for a few days afterwards, but attributed it to the PF. I've now quit water aerobics and my feet in general are feeling better. I don't tape my feet at all and have read that taping helps in the water. Proceed with caution! Beth

Jane N on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011662)

I agree with Beth, proceed with caution! I was walking and making my PF worse! My doctor told me I should have cut back when the pain started but I tried to be brave and 'walk through it'. Bad idea! When you do walk, always, always stretch before and after. Good luck and TAKE IT SLOWLY!

Rosemarie P on 10/13/99 at 00:00 (011701)

Had to stop long distance walking, suggest bike much better

Ivy L on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011898)

Rule of thumb: If it hurts, DON'T DO IT!

Walking seems to be the link to my foot injury. I started an exercise program which included walking 4 miles/hour 4 days/week. When the pain started, I 'toughed it out' and now I can barely walk to the corner drugstore without pain.

Stretch, stretch, stretch... ride your bike, but stay off your feet when they hurt...

Good luck!