Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

recurrence of PF after 5 years/Rollerblading/Weight training

Posted by Rachel S on 10/12/99 at 00:00 (011665)

Hi-
I was diagnosed w/PF in 1995- so severe for a few months that I couldn't walk w/o stumbling. I was working on my college campus at the time, and got some good orthotics from the physical therapist I saw at the student health center. Cut out most of the walking (wasn't really exercising then), and after 2 years of being faithful with the foot/calf stretching and using the orthotics (and NEVER going barefoot), the pain went away.

Over the past year, I've lost 60 pounds of bodyfat, and have been exercising for 6 months 6x/week. I started with mostly free weights; added some cardio activity after 2 months; until last week I was doing 3 days of heavy weights, 2 days of high-intensity cardio (either running, step aerobics or high-low aerobics)and one day of yoga. (Each of these workouts was 1 hour in length). I have a fairly healthy bodyfat percentage (20-21%), and I had felt no pain in my heel for 3-4 months of regular impact exercise. (BTW, I'm 6'1' and weigh 200 pounds- not thin, but probably only 10 pounds or so over where I want to be, since I have a lot of muscle mass.)

Then last week, I started having the telltale pain in my foot when I wake up. I can barely make it down the stairs in the morning. I cut down on the high-impact aerobic activities and did an extra weight workout and an extra yoga session last week. This week, I've been feeling fidgety, so I did a high-low workout last night.

That was stupid.

I am sitting here at work with a throbbing pain in my foot. I know I need to go ahead to the dr. (the dog ate my excellent orthotics from last time), but I've read enough on this great site to realize I may get bad advice from my dr. (plus my HMO is notorious for treating people on the cheap), so I wanted to post a couple of questions here:

1. I saw one post about Rollerblading on the board. Anybody else tried this? I don't belong to a gym, and I don't own a bike, so swimming and biking would require an investment as well. I never liked either of those activities, so I want to try blading. I'd like to know what your experiences have been before I invest.

2. I see no reason to lay off the weight training-but I would like to know if I should get special shoes to counteract the static pressure on my heel. Right now I'm using some flavor of Nike Air Cross-trainers. I sometimes feel strain during heavy squats, but that's about it.

Thanks in advance for the advice- my PCP is in an office that gets most of their revenue from doing employer-required drug-testing, and they always act as if it's an imposition when a private patient asks for an appointment. Unfortunately, it's the only one that's convenient to my job, and I have to go there before I get a referral.

One last question- should I request that my referral be for a sports-injury physical therapist?

Thanks again!

Rachel S.

Re: recurrence of PF after 5 years/Rollerblading/Weight training

john v. on 10/13/99 at 00:00 (011688)

I've had PF for about 5 years. I switched from running to weight training when the pain got too bad. Never tried roller blading, but I cross country ski all winter (which where I live, Alaska, is about 8 months of the year). I skate ski, which is the same motion as roller blading, and I've never had a problem. In fact the stretching of the calf muscle seems to help. The best shoes I've found for gym wear (in fact, I've taken to wearing them all the time) are Reebok DMX running shoes--take the insoles out and replace them with Spenco's. Works for me, anyway.

john h on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011731)

rachel: if i were you i would just cut back on everything for a few weeks and rest my feet. 200lb squats would seem to be tough of the feet and ankles.

Lauren B. on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011897)

Rachel -- checking on how you did with Sports PT? any luck with that
if so -- how did you come about that?

john v. on 10/13/99 at 00:00 (011688)

I've had PF for about 5 years. I switched from running to weight training when the pain got too bad. Never tried roller blading, but I cross country ski all winter (which where I live, Alaska, is about 8 months of the year). I skate ski, which is the same motion as roller blading, and I've never had a problem. In fact the stretching of the calf muscle seems to help. The best shoes I've found for gym wear (in fact, I've taken to wearing them all the time) are Reebok DMX running shoes--take the insoles out and replace them with Spenco's. Works for me, anyway.

john h on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011731)

rachel: if i were you i would just cut back on everything for a few weeks and rest my feet. 200lb squats would seem to be tough of the feet and ankles.

Lauren B. on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011897)

Rachel -- checking on how you did with Sports PT? any luck with that
if so -- how did you come about that?