Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back to exercise and what kind

Posted by Vonnie K on 10/13/99 at 00:00 (011718)

I have had pf in both heels for a year and a month ago finally went to doctor. He put me on anti inflammatories for a month and gave me some heel pads. I have since purchased Asics Gel Nimbus shoes. The pain was much releived until a week ago when I helped someone move. Didn't do much, honest! The pain came back with a vengence, but I got some arch supports that are really helping. Previously I rowed for half an hour and did stair glider for half an hour and then did a weight workout for about 30 minutes 3 times a week. I have recently gone back to the Y and done the weight workout (feet not involved). Please when and what can I do aerobic wise? Is rowing bad or biking? I am also doing calf strechers. Thanks for any input. I am trying to be a patient patient!

Re: Back to exercise and what kind

wendyn on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011729)

Try deep water running and/or swimming. If you're like me, you'd rather be anywhere than in the water....but if I had things to do over again, I would have never pushed to get back to normal activity like I did - it just isn't worth doing more damage. Try to focus on trying new ways of excercising, and maybe working muscle groups that have been ignored in the past - don't dwell on what you can't do because it will only make you feel worse! It may take a while to figure out how to get your heart rate high enough in the water, but it can be done. Hang in.

roberta on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011790)

Try biking. I was able to bike the entire time my foot was bad. No problems. Just be sure to stretch your hamstrings well. Biking tightens them.

wendyn on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011729)

Try deep water running and/or swimming. If you're like me, you'd rather be anywhere than in the water....but if I had things to do over again, I would have never pushed to get back to normal activity like I did - it just isn't worth doing more damage. Try to focus on trying new ways of excercising, and maybe working muscle groups that have been ignored in the past - don't dwell on what you can't do because it will only make you feel worse! It may take a while to figure out how to get your heart rate high enough in the water, but it can be done. Hang in.

roberta on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011790)

Try biking. I was able to bike the entire time my foot was bad. No problems. Just be sure to stretch your hamstrings well. Biking tightens them.