Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what kind of orthodics?

Posted by Caryne on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011724)

Will be getting out of cam-walker in about 8 weeks....Dr. was talking to me about getting custom orthodics. They run around $350.00 a pair. Is this a fairly routine price? Any suggestions about custom vs. over the counter kinds or web kinds? Thanks for any info

Re: what kind of orthodics?

Martha B. on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011725)

Sounds too expensive to me.My 1st pair from the podiatrist was $200.The Ptherapist made me a hard temp pair and custom made pair while I waited and I walked out with both for $120-what a bargain.He had me wear the temp til they cracked and then the permanent ones.I actually like the hard ones the best-wish they hadnt cracked.Good luck

wendyn on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011728)

I've had three different pairs of orthotics. Prices were (in Canadian dollars) $250 $389 and $300. Blue cross covered part of the cost (once every two years). I've had two made by podiatrists, one by a physio-therapist. Two were rigid, the last is semi-rigid. My feet were cast for the orthotics three different ways. Obviously you could end up with all different kinds of orthotics depending on who makes them and how. I think that they help, but it might be wise to shop around. Make sure you're going to someone reputable - and ask questions about how they make the orthotics and why...i.e. how do you cast my feet? Why do you use this method? What will the orthotics be made of? Why? Once you have all the facts, then decide who you trust most and go with that. Good luck!

YokoS on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011732)

Mine was 500bucks!!! (One PAIR) via Podiatrist early June '99.
This is Ortho-Rite Custom Orthotics 'Sport-Rite'. I didn't know this site at that time, but checked several doctor's through friends, and
figured out $500 was acceptable price.
STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND how come this piece of boards are SO EXPENSIVE!!!! This is kind a rip-off, as I believe.
Even though this orthotics give me a pain relief, $500 is TOO MUCH.

caryne on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011736)

Thanks for your input....the podiatrist is the one who will be measuring and getting me the orthodics.

Sue C on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011738)

I used Birk cork semi custom orthotics for several months last winter. They did not help. They were fitted by an orthotic center which serves Kaiser. I had custom orthotics made by a podiatrist in May. I lasted all of one day before I went back for an adjustment. (A fancy term for ripping off the vinyl padding on the 3/4 length unit and slopping a flimsey spenco padding on them.) They really hurt my feet and knees and hips. What a waste!

Rod M on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011743)

I realise that its a bit like each to their own, however, I had some custom made orthotics and I cannot tell you how good they have been. They cost me $200 Australian and after wearing them in they are great. I wnt out last night and did not wear them and this AM my feet were stiff and sooooorrrrrrreeee. It does take a while for your feet to adjust. The ones I have are designed to stop my over-pronation and essentially pur my feet into the correct position. They are three quater length and semi-rigid. The left one has a circle cut out where my PF is worse and they have inserted a soft rubber material to ease the pressure.

Anyway good luck and shop around if you think they are too much.

I am on the 'FOR' side.

Martha B. on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011725)

Sounds too expensive to me.My 1st pair from the podiatrist was $200.The Ptherapist made me a hard temp pair and custom made pair while I waited and I walked out with both for $120-what a bargain.He had me wear the temp til they cracked and then the permanent ones.I actually like the hard ones the best-wish they hadnt cracked.Good luck

wendyn on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011728)

I've had three different pairs of orthotics. Prices were (in Canadian dollars) $250 $389 and $300. Blue cross covered part of the cost (once every two years). I've had two made by podiatrists, one by a physio-therapist. Two were rigid, the last is semi-rigid. My feet were cast for the orthotics three different ways. Obviously you could end up with all different kinds of orthotics depending on who makes them and how. I think that they help, but it might be wise to shop around. Make sure you're going to someone reputable - and ask questions about how they make the orthotics and why...i.e. how do you cast my feet? Why do you use this method? What will the orthotics be made of? Why? Once you have all the facts, then decide who you trust most and go with that. Good luck!

YokoS on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011732)

Mine was 500bucks!!! (One PAIR) via Podiatrist early June '99.
This is Ortho-Rite Custom Orthotics 'Sport-Rite'. I didn't know this site at that time, but checked several doctor's through friends, and
figured out $500 was acceptable price.
STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND how come this piece of boards are SO EXPENSIVE!!!! This is kind a rip-off, as I believe.
Even though this orthotics give me a pain relief, $500 is TOO MUCH.

caryne on 10/14/99 at 00:00 (011736)

Thanks for your input....the podiatrist is the one who will be measuring and getting me the orthodics.

Sue C on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011738)

I used Birk cork semi custom orthotics for several months last winter. They did not help. They were fitted by an orthotic center which serves Kaiser. I had custom orthotics made by a podiatrist in May. I lasted all of one day before I went back for an adjustment. (A fancy term for ripping off the vinyl padding on the 3/4 length unit and slopping a flimsey spenco padding on them.) They really hurt my feet and knees and hips. What a waste!

Rod M on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011743)

I realise that its a bit like each to their own, however, I had some custom made orthotics and I cannot tell you how good they have been. They cost me $200 Australian and after wearing them in they are great. I wnt out last night and did not wear them and this AM my feet were stiff and sooooorrrrrrreeee. It does take a while for your feet to adjust. The ones I have are designed to stop my over-pronation and essentially pur my feet into the correct position. They are three quater length and semi-rigid. The left one has a circle cut out where my PF is worse and they have inserted a soft rubber material to ease the pressure.

Anyway good luck and shop around if you think they are too much.

I am on the 'FOR' side.