Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any Advice....!!!

Posted by Barb H. on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011752)

Hi, I would really appreciate it anyone out there could assist me in making a decision!!.I have been SUFFERING with p.f. for about a year. I have had 2 pair or orthotics, night splints, cortisone injections,physio therapy ...etc.. I have had to quit my job because I
could barely walk... About a month ago I had a bone scan done and
nothing really significant showed up. I don't have any heel spurs , just
really sore feet!! Today I saw a new orthopaedic surgeon and of
course he pooh poohed all my previous treatment and told me that
I needed more cortisone shot in my heels and I needed HEEL CUPS
instead of orthotics...Help... What should I do ?... In reading this message board I get the feeling that a person should not have too many shots!!! Does anyone out there have HEEL CUPS!!!?? Do they help?? Thanks for reading ...

Re: Any Advice....!!!

Nancy T. on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011762)

Hi Barb: I was first diagnosed with PF 6 months ago, and my first try at striking out this awful problem was with using heel cups. I had dramatic improvement after wearing them after the very first month. I wore them daily for the first 3 months until the level of improvement reached its current level. I now use arch support bands and use gel heel cups, which help me to get through my day. To answer your question, they did help me initially to get by that initial bout of pain, and I would certainly give them a try. You can get them at any drugstore, and are not overly expensive.!

Sue C on 10/16/99 at 00:00 (011764)

My first visit to the podiatrist was heel cups. Second visit was taping. 3rd visit off the shelf orthotic. 4th adjustment to the off the shelf orthotic. 5th visit custom orthotic casting. 6th immediate return to podiatrist as unacceptable pain.. the adjustment caused more pain in my arch than my heel. Most discouraging. I never went back.

Denise O on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011797)

My first visit to the podiatrist involved heel cups and an anti-inflammatory med. Helped a little, but short lasting...I would give ANYTHING a try...different things work for different people!!! DOn't give up..Good luck

Lee H on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011823)

How many cortizone shots have you already had? Did they provide any relief? One doctor told me that if cortizone did not work the first or second time then it most certainly would not work a 3rd or 4th... It seems every time you see a new dr they seem to think they have a miracle cure and the other drs you have seen were just idiots and didn't know how to do anything. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

Nancy T. on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011762)

Hi Barb: I was first diagnosed with PF 6 months ago, and my first try at striking out this awful problem was with using heel cups. I had dramatic improvement after wearing them after the very first month. I wore them daily for the first 3 months until the level of improvement reached its current level. I now use arch support bands and use gel heel cups, which help me to get through my day. To answer your question, they did help me initially to get by that initial bout of pain, and I would certainly give them a try. You can get them at any drugstore, and are not overly expensive.!

Sue C on 10/16/99 at 00:00 (011764)

My first visit to the podiatrist was heel cups. Second visit was taping. 3rd visit off the shelf orthotic. 4th adjustment to the off the shelf orthotic. 5th visit custom orthotic casting. 6th immediate return to podiatrist as unacceptable pain.. the adjustment caused more pain in my arch than my heel. Most discouraging. I never went back.

Denise O on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011797)

My first visit to the podiatrist involved heel cups and an anti-inflammatory med. Helped a little, but short lasting...I would give ANYTHING a try...different things work for different people!!! DOn't give up..Good luck

Lee H on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011823)

How many cortizone shots have you already had? Did they provide any relief? One doctor told me that if cortizone did not work the first or second time then it most certainly would not work a 3rd or 4th... It seems every time you see a new dr they seem to think they have a miracle cure and the other drs you have seen were just idiots and didn't know how to do anything. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!!!!