Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cross country skiers

Posted by Rosalind on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011758)

Has anyone compared the new cross country ski binding system with the old three pin binding? The old boot lifts at the toe, keeping the arch more rigid, and the new boot breaks under the ball of the foot, more like a normal shoe. I am wondering which way would be less likely to cause damage to a foot with pf? I am guessing that the old system might be easier on the foot, but has anyone looked at this or have any opinions on it?

Re: Cross country skiers

John V. on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011761)

I've been skiing for several years on Solomon boots and bindings. They're great. I switched from classical technique to skate technique and that makes a big difference. There's a lot less flexing of the foot in the skate motion. The boot/binding combination hinges right at the toe and seems, at least for me, to cut out a lot of the flexion of the bottom of the foot. The whole package is much better than the old three pin system.

Rosalind on 10/16/99 at 00:00 (011766)

That's an interesting observation, as I thought the Solomon boots would flex farther back than the three pin system. I will have to give that a try, although I have done mostly backcountry skiing.

John V. on 10/15/99 at 00:00 (011761)

I've been skiing for several years on Solomon boots and bindings. They're great. I switched from classical technique to skate technique and that makes a big difference. There's a lot less flexing of the foot in the skate motion. The boot/binding combination hinges right at the toe and seems, at least for me, to cut out a lot of the flexion of the bottom of the foot. The whole package is much better than the old three pin system.

Rosalind on 10/16/99 at 00:00 (011766)

That's an interesting observation, as I thought the Solomon boots would flex farther back than the three pin system. I will have to give that a try, although I have done mostly backcountry skiing.