Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back Again and having pain......the weather?

Posted by SharonH on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011781)

I am checking the board after being painfree for almost a year and now my feet are hurting again. My tips for a new person to this terrible ailment: I used ice in a water/pop bottle. Roll your foot on it when you are sitting at the computer. It stretches your foot and reduces the inflammation. I also take 500 mg of Naproxen once or twice a day. I have kept up the once a day pill for a year but think I better start back on the twice a day for awhile. Wearing Birkstenstock sandals and shoes religiously for the past year seemed to help a lot. The shoes really helped because they also kept my foot more rigid. I tried the night splints, the orthotics in my tennis shoes, etc. but I found that ice, pain medication, and the Birks seemed to be the best for me. I am also overweight which doesn't help a lot. I don't know why I have had this flareup. Could it have anything to do with the weather? I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR ANY NEW IDEAS! This message board saved me last fall!!!! Keep the faith. Prayers work wonders. Sharon

Re: Back Again and having pain......the weather?

Karen K on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011786)

Sharon you're scaring me. I also have been pain free and stiffness free, but only for 5 weeks. I take indomethacin and have even cut back on the dosage and still remained pain and stiffness free. The weather has changed and I'm feeling little twinges like 'hello I'm still here'. I'm going to go back to the 3 times a day meds and just try to live with the side effects. I also had been wearing Birks exclusively and have just recently been wearing my New Balance on occasion. I am also overweight and yes I think the weather has a great deal to do with all aspects of pf, arthritis, joint stiffness etc. When you talk about a flare-up are you talking only of the plantar fascia inflammation or do you also mean overall stiffness or soreness?
Karen

Judy E on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011805)

The weather seems to 'kick' off my pain faster than almost anything else! I use ice and take three (3) OTC Motrin at night, then stretch in bed in the am. Seems to help.

p.s. Have been almost symptom free for two months - except when barametric pressure drops or cold front coming in.

Sharon H on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012421)

It just my feet that have been acting up. I went back to dress shoes at a new job for a week and also stood in one place singing on a Sunday morning for 4 hours. That is all it took to kill my foot again. I still wonder about the weather though. Back to the birks and inserts in a new pair of 'sturdy' shoes that aren't quite as cute but should do the trick instead of the pumps.

Karen K on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011786)

Sharon you're scaring me. I also have been pain free and stiffness free, but only for 5 weeks. I take indomethacin and have even cut back on the dosage and still remained pain and stiffness free. The weather has changed and I'm feeling little twinges like 'hello I'm still here'. I'm going to go back to the 3 times a day meds and just try to live with the side effects. I also had been wearing Birks exclusively and have just recently been wearing my New Balance on occasion. I am also overweight and yes I think the weather has a great deal to do with all aspects of pf, arthritis, joint stiffness etc. When you talk about a flare-up are you talking only of the plantar fascia inflammation or do you also mean overall stiffness or soreness?
Karen

Judy E on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011805)

The weather seems to 'kick' off my pain faster than almost anything else! I use ice and take three (3) OTC Motrin at night, then stretch in bed in the am. Seems to help.

p.s. Have been almost symptom free for two months - except when barametric pressure drops or cold front coming in.

Sharon H on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012421)

It just my feet that have been acting up. I went back to dress shoes at a new job for a week and also stood in one place singing on a Sunday morning for 4 hours. That is all it took to kill my foot again. I still wonder about the weather though. Back to the birks and inserts in a new pair of 'sturdy' shoes that aren't quite as cute but should do the trick instead of the pumps.