Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ossatron and bone scan

Posted by Doug P on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011791)

I am considering getting the Ossatron treatment as it seems to have helped a few people posting here. I spoke to Dr. Galea in Toronto and he said to get a bone scan so I did. The hospital is mailing me the copies in a few days and I will send them on to Dr. Galea. The thing that concerns me is that the bone scan doesn't seem to reveal anything. I don't have heel spurs and there was no sign of the dye collecting in any weird spot in my feet (like a fracture or something). I don't have the classic symptoms of pain in the heel. My pain is more diffuse along most of the bottom of my foot. Could those who received the Ossatron treatment respond to this and say what your bone scan looked like? Did it reveal anything?

PS I just got a cable modem installed at home and I highly recommend it for those who are spending a lot time on the web looking for cures. Things download so much quicker!

Re: Ossatron and bone scan

michael s on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011795)

I'm having the Ossatron treatment in a couple of weeks. I too had no inflammation showing on my bone scan, though plenty showed up on the ultrasound. Dr. Galea couldn't explain why the bone scan was clear, which I found a little unsatisfying. He did say that he had one other patient who obviously had pf but had a clear bone scan, and that patient went ahead and had the shock wave treatment as well.
I have no heel spur, and I'd say my pain is everywhere, not just in the heel. It seems we all have at least some variation in where and how much it hurts.

john h on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011799)

michael my question to you is since the ossatron treats the area about the size of a quarter how will they decide where to treat?

Doug P on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011801)

Michael: Please keep in touch with me about how things go with you. It does sound like we have similar symptoms and if it works for you it will probably work for me. Feel free to email me. Lots of luck to you.

michael s on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011803)

Well, as I said my ultrasound did show inflammation, so I guess they'll use that to decide where to place the shock waves. I'll find out. It's interesting, Dr. Galea circled the area he felt needed to be treated and it was much larger than a quarter. I too have read (somewhere) that it's not a large area they target, but the facscia does run across the foot farther than the width of a quarter. I suppose that they do not want to attack the entire fascia any more than a surgeon would cut the whole length, but of course invasive surgery allows you to see what to cut. (Which, by the way, is not a suggestion that surgery is a better idea - I had it twice with no relief, and so I've absolutely no faith in it.)
Let's face it, this is a new and largely unproven procedure - there's bound to be a bit of guesswork involved. But I'll ask the Ossatron technician, as I lie there in nervous anticipation...

michael s on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011795)

I'm having the Ossatron treatment in a couple of weeks. I too had no inflammation showing on my bone scan, though plenty showed up on the ultrasound. Dr. Galea couldn't explain why the bone scan was clear, which I found a little unsatisfying. He did say that he had one other patient who obviously had pf but had a clear bone scan, and that patient went ahead and had the shock wave treatment as well.
I have no heel spur, and I'd say my pain is everywhere, not just in the heel. It seems we all have at least some variation in where and how much it hurts.

john h on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011799)

michael my question to you is since the ossatron treats the area about the size of a quarter how will they decide where to treat?

Doug P on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011801)

Michael: Please keep in touch with me about how things go with you. It does sound like we have similar symptoms and if it works for you it will probably work for me. Feel free to email me. Lots of luck to you.

michael s on 10/17/99 at 00:00 (011803)

Well, as I said my ultrasound did show inflammation, so I guess they'll use that to decide where to place the shock waves. I'll find out. It's interesting, Dr. Galea circled the area he felt needed to be treated and it was much larger than a quarter. I too have read (somewhere) that it's not a large area they target, but the facscia does run across the foot farther than the width of a quarter. I suppose that they do not want to attack the entire fascia any more than a surgeon would cut the whole length, but of course invasive surgery allows you to see what to cut. (Which, by the way, is not a suggestion that surgery is a better idea - I had it twice with no relief, and so I've absolutely no faith in it.)
Let's face it, this is a new and largely unproven procedure - there's bound to be a bit of guesswork involved. But I'll ask the Ossatron technician, as I lie there in nervous anticipation...