Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What's a nurse to do with Plantar Fasciitis?

Posted by Becky R. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011853)

Help,
I was diagnosed with PF in August and have tried injections, ice, anti-inflammatory and special cushioning. Nothing has helped so far. I am a nurse and up on my feet the entire shift. It causes severe pain and I am just about at my wits end. How can I continue? Any other people with jobs that require you to be on your feet nonstop? How do you cope with this? Are your employers understanding? What might help? I am going to a new podiatrist next week.
Becky

Re: What's a nurse to do with Plantar Fasciitis?

Lori S on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011858)

Becky, I am a teacher and have suffered with PF for over 10 years. I'm on my feet all day as I'm not the type of teacher to 'sit' and teach. I did resort to good Reeboks with orthodics for the past couple of years. The kids used to make fun of me as I would wear my suits and dresses with nylons and matching socks with my Reeboks. I was still more professionally dressed than most of the teachers, though. I had surgery on one foot this summer and am waiting to wake up some AM without any soreness.
Lori in AZ

Tom K on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011860)

I posted about a week ago to a person who worked on concrete.
I understand about being on wits end. The thought of leaving a
profession in middle age is scary to say the least. My problem is
primarly when standing in place for several minutes. I have no heel
pain or walking pain (seems unusual.....) but standing pain can
almost bring a tear (not good for a 38 yr old male factory worker!).
The cheap inserts can cause more pain days later (I've tried them all). My best tip yet is to find an orthepedic shoe store and buy a good insert (at least $20) that will last several months. My insurance refused custom inserts so this seems to be the my only option. I put mine is SAS shoes (removable footbed, durabilty, and slip resistance, lousy cushioning, expensive). I'm trying to determine if celebrex, stretching, and ice help-- they appear to offer some relief. As far as my employer's attitude goes there are not many options available. I have been to an orthopedist with the usual prognosis and treatment. I have 2 of 3 visits left ( taping and shots are next and I'm in no hurry). You may look into an 80/20 work restriction whatever that is... My guess on all of this is the foot needs rest to heal and that is impossible for us so it heals over time with lots of attention. Anyway, hope you find what works for you.

Becky R. on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011873)

Lori,

Thanks for responding. You said you recently had surgery and you have not found it to be helpful? My doctor is saying that is where I'm headed, but I am having lots of reservations about it. Especially if it won't work. But I guess you never know til you try.
Good luck to you.

Becky R. in Ohio

Becky R. on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011874)

Tom,
Thanks for responding. Don't blame you for putting off the shots. They do hurt. The first one helped for about 3-4 days, the next 4 or 5 shots did nothing, I'm done with that. I will say that the taping did seem to help. Just make sure if you do it yourself, don't do it too tight or your toes will go to sleep! Good luck to you!

Becky R. in Ohio

Lori S on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011882)

Becky, I've included my e-mail add. Please remove 'nospam' from the beginning if you want to write. I didn't say it 'wasn't' helpful. I dealt with PAIN for over 10 years. Now I just have some SORENESS in the AM when I first get out of bed. My Dr. says it could be 6 months to a year before I am fully healed. If I had it to do all over again, I would try accupuncture FIRST and then resort to surgery. I don't regret surgery as I am better off than I was. As you know, there is a difference between PAIN and SORENESS. Accupuncture has been around for over 3000 years and I've had it work in the past on a sprained ankle and, most recently, on my other foot that also has PF and a bone spur. Good luck to you!
Lori in AZ

crabbyass2 on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011953)

I was a RN for 16 years then delevoped severe PF. I took a sick leave for months then had to quit my job. 12 hours on my feet left me crying and crippled at the end of the day. It's been 3 years now, feet are getting better and i wake up everyday hoping today will be the day, i'll start living again without pain. good luck to you and i hope your pain doesn't get as bad as mine did. i miss my job terribly.
marie e

tami n on 10/24/99 at 00:00 (012010)

i am a rn for an orthopedic surgeon. i have had pf for 5 years. i have tried everything to no avail. my surgery is scheduled for 11-23. i will have a traditional release. my boss has been doing these for 30 yrs w/excellent results. he says after 3 injections, this is the only definitive cure. no offense, but please go to a board certified orthopedic surgeon. we see alot of people infected, in pain, and very unhappy w/podiatric surgery.

Jane B. on 10/24/99 at 00:00 (012012)

I am a physical therapist and I have suffered with pf for 6 years. I had surgery 3 years ago. Had to give up my job/profession. I too miss it very much. I am currently back in school for computer programming.
I just couldn't take it anymore. Like Crabbyass2, I was crying at the end of the day and could hardly press the gas pedal to get home. OUCH! I did do home health (part time) for a while. I was able to tolerate a few visits a week but financially did not work for me.
That might be something you could try?? It is not as demanding on the feet. I keep hoping someday I can go back to being a therapist(feet are a little better) but for now I had to find something that was kind to my feet.
Can you take a leave of absence to try to cure it? I believe, resting your feet along with the treatments you are trying is the best way. (Not always successful but it is worth a shot.) Don't give up hope. There are many success stories out there, we just don't hear many on this site. Good Luck!!

vickib on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012126)

Becky, I too am a nurse and I tried to work until I could not get to the bathroom one morning, much less to work. I took 6 weeks leave and then just quit. I will do all that I know to do and feel better, but any increase in activity causes a relapse. Sorry I can not be more encouraging, but I agree with the person that suggested that you take a medical leave if you can, because being on your feet will only make things worse and then it takes longer to heal. Good Luck.

Lori S on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011858)

Becky, I am a teacher and have suffered with PF for over 10 years. I'm on my feet all day as I'm not the type of teacher to 'sit' and teach. I did resort to good Reeboks with orthodics for the past couple of years. The kids used to make fun of me as I would wear my suits and dresses with nylons and matching socks with my Reeboks. I was still more professionally dressed than most of the teachers, though. I had surgery on one foot this summer and am waiting to wake up some AM without any soreness.
Lori in AZ

Tom K on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011860)

I posted about a week ago to a person who worked on concrete.
I understand about being on wits end. The thought of leaving a
profession in middle age is scary to say the least. My problem is
primarly when standing in place for several minutes. I have no heel
pain or walking pain (seems unusual.....) but standing pain can
almost bring a tear (not good for a 38 yr old male factory worker!).
The cheap inserts can cause more pain days later (I've tried them all). My best tip yet is to find an orthepedic shoe store and buy a good insert (at least $20) that will last several months. My insurance refused custom inserts so this seems to be the my only option. I put mine is SAS shoes (removable footbed, durabilty, and slip resistance, lousy cushioning, expensive). I'm trying to determine if celebrex, stretching, and ice help-- they appear to offer some relief. As far as my employer's attitude goes there are not many options available. I have been to an orthopedist with the usual prognosis and treatment. I have 2 of 3 visits left ( taping and shots are next and I'm in no hurry). You may look into an 80/20 work restriction whatever that is... My guess on all of this is the foot needs rest to heal and that is impossible for us so it heals over time with lots of attention. Anyway, hope you find what works for you.

Becky R. on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011873)

Lori,

Thanks for responding. You said you recently had surgery and you have not found it to be helpful? My doctor is saying that is where I'm headed, but I am having lots of reservations about it. Especially if it won't work. But I guess you never know til you try.
Good luck to you.

Becky R. in Ohio

Becky R. on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011874)

Tom,
Thanks for responding. Don't blame you for putting off the shots. They do hurt. The first one helped for about 3-4 days, the next 4 or 5 shots did nothing, I'm done with that. I will say that the taping did seem to help. Just make sure if you do it yourself, don't do it too tight or your toes will go to sleep! Good luck to you!

Becky R. in Ohio

Lori S on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011882)

Becky, I've included my e-mail add. Please remove 'nospam' from the beginning if you want to write. I didn't say it 'wasn't' helpful. I dealt with PAIN for over 10 years. Now I just have some SORENESS in the AM when I first get out of bed. My Dr. says it could be 6 months to a year before I am fully healed. If I had it to do all over again, I would try accupuncture FIRST and then resort to surgery. I don't regret surgery as I am better off than I was. As you know, there is a difference between PAIN and SORENESS. Accupuncture has been around for over 3000 years and I've had it work in the past on a sprained ankle and, most recently, on my other foot that also has PF and a bone spur. Good luck to you!
Lori in AZ

crabbyass2 on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011953)

I was a RN for 16 years then delevoped severe PF. I took a sick leave for months then had to quit my job. 12 hours on my feet left me crying and crippled at the end of the day. It's been 3 years now, feet are getting better and i wake up everyday hoping today will be the day, i'll start living again without pain. good luck to you and i hope your pain doesn't get as bad as mine did. i miss my job terribly.
marie e

tami n on 10/24/99 at 00:00 (012010)

i am a rn for an orthopedic surgeon. i have had pf for 5 years. i have tried everything to no avail. my surgery is scheduled for 11-23. i will have a traditional release. my boss has been doing these for 30 yrs w/excellent results. he says after 3 injections, this is the only definitive cure. no offense, but please go to a board certified orthopedic surgeon. we see alot of people infected, in pain, and very unhappy w/podiatric surgery.

Jane B. on 10/24/99 at 00:00 (012012)

I am a physical therapist and I have suffered with pf for 6 years. I had surgery 3 years ago. Had to give up my job/profession. I too miss it very much. I am currently back in school for computer programming.
I just couldn't take it anymore. Like Crabbyass2, I was crying at the end of the day and could hardly press the gas pedal to get home. OUCH! I did do home health (part time) for a while. I was able to tolerate a few visits a week but financially did not work for me.
That might be something you could try?? It is not as demanding on the feet. I keep hoping someday I can go back to being a therapist(feet are a little better) but for now I had to find something that was kind to my feet.
Can you take a leave of absence to try to cure it? I believe, resting your feet along with the treatments you are trying is the best way. (Not always successful but it is worth a shot.) Don't give up hope. There are many success stories out there, we just don't hear many on this site. Good Luck!!

vickib on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012126)

Becky, I too am a nurse and I tried to work until I could not get to the bathroom one morning, much less to work. I took 6 weeks leave and then just quit. I will do all that I know to do and feel better, but any increase in activity causes a relapse. Sorry I can not be more encouraging, but I agree with the person that suggested that you take a medical leave if you can, because being on your feet will only make things worse and then it takes longer to heal. Good Luck.