Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can Ankle Sprain Lead To Heel Spur Syndrome?

Posted by Steve P on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011859)

I (at age 59) 'power' walk about 4 miles per day (5-6 days a week). A few days ago, I turned my ankle and figured that I had sprained it. Since then, however, I have experienced heal pain (especially, in the morning and after sitting a while). It fits the description of heel spur syndrome, but could that be caused by the ankle sprain? How should I treat it? Thanks. --Steve P

Re: Can Ankle Sprain Lead To Heel Spur Syndrome?

YokoS on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011862)

I did sprained right ankle (big damaged) on Dec'97 limped w/cane for 4 months. While marathon race' Nov.98, I felt severe pain on same ankle even though it had fully recovered. Again limped several weeks, then left heel spur suddenly happend on Jan 99. Dr. said because
I could not put on my (heavy) weight on right foot about half a year,
left foot had huge pressure, and developed heel spur.

Sandy K. on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011945)

You probably should consult your doctor to make sure that you are 'home treating' properly for sprained ankle. It probably is too soon to determine if Heel Spur Syndrome is involved, however be aware of the messages that your feet send. Many of us with Plantar Fasciitis/Heel Spur Syndrome have not heeded the messages of our feet in the past, much to our dismay. I believe the consensus of opinion is that early recognition and proper care leads to sooner relief. Good luck.

YokoS on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011862)

I did sprained right ankle (big damaged) on Dec'97 limped w/cane for 4 months. While marathon race' Nov.98, I felt severe pain on same ankle even though it had fully recovered. Again limped several weeks, then left heel spur suddenly happend on Jan 99. Dr. said because
I could not put on my (heavy) weight on right foot about half a year,
left foot had huge pressure, and developed heel spur.

Sandy K. on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011945)

You probably should consult your doctor to make sure that you are 'home treating' properly for sprained ankle. It probably is too soon to determine if Heel Spur Syndrome is involved, however be aware of the messages that your feet send. Many of us with Plantar Fasciitis/Heel Spur Syndrome have not heeded the messages of our feet in the past, much to our dismay. I believe the consensus of opinion is that early recognition and proper care leads to sooner relief. Good luck.