Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal tunnel?

Posted by Constance on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011867)

Have had PF for ten years. Have had cortisone shots (YUCK), three surgeries in one foot and one in the other, worth SAS shoes with special orthotics and now wear Birks ALL the time, ice, take Celebrex, and have started wearing night splints on both feet.

Had the nerve conduction tests a year ago before the third surgery and it wasn't showing any conduction through the scar tissue on the nerve that goes to the heel. Had surgery and things are worse than they were.

The doctor is talking about the possibility of tarsal tunnel. I'm at my wits end and can't even begin to think of a fourth surgery with six weeks of recovery. Anybody had the surgery and had it help?

Re: Tarsal tunnel?

wendyn on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011886)

I haven't had the surgery, but I've been struggling with TTS for about a year now. You don't say if it's the same doctor doing all the surgeries - or if it's different doctors. I'd be inclined to get another opinion, perhaps from a neurosurgeon if you may be looking at nerve damage from previous surgeries. I've read and heard varying reports on TTS surgery success. I understand it can help, but it really depends on what's causing the problem in the first place.

You're taking Celebrex, have you found that it helps? Have you been on it long? I'm curious because my doctor wants me to take it. I'm not terribly interested because of side effects, and because I see to be able to get my feet under control with different methods - only to have problems come back suddenly as soon as I start to increase my activity. No point for me to take drugs if it's only going to bring a temporary relief.....

Constance on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011901)

I've had a second opinion but the doctor who did the surgeries is the same one who is suggesting TT surgery. The doctor who gave me the second opinion didn't have any wonderful revelations either! My doctor wants to wait to see how the night splints and Celebrex work to bring down the swelling. He also suggested Cortisone but it hasn't worked in the past and he'll have to sedate me before I'll do that again!!!

The Celebrex seems to help and it is easier to take than the Voltaren I was taking. Everything so far has brought relief. Unfortunately, I'm willing to try anything so I'll be able to walk without pain, swelling, leg cramps, etc.

I haven't checked the message board in a few months and I almost hate to do it because it makes me desolate to see that there are so many people suffering and there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight.

john h on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011909)

i had the tarsal tunnel release on august 23, 99. the nerve conduction test are very subjective and are by no mean conclusive as my foot surgeon told me. my test indicated 'mild' impingment in both feet. this might very well be ok in somone of my age. there will be swelling around the incision for some time and the doctor told me it could be up to a year before i know the final results. he did find a large vericose vein (not visable outwardly) touching a nerve but as of today i do not know if this procedure has worked or not. if you will search back on previous post scott posted a picture of my foot and incision for the Tarsal Tunnel Release and PF release. I would definitely have a foot and ankle surgeon do a tarsal tunnel release (my opinion) although poditrist do them and some may do them very well.Tarsal tunnel syndrome from what i read is not common. If a vericose vein was my problem i have looked up some of the nutritional suppliments that are recommended to help alleviate this problem. you might do the same. the doctor also recommended i wear a support stocking which keeps swelling down and helps force the blood thru the ankle at a faster speed and keep it from pooling (pooling of blood is a vericose vein).do not rush into this surgery.

wendyn on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011886)

I haven't had the surgery, but I've been struggling with TTS for about a year now. You don't say if it's the same doctor doing all the surgeries - or if it's different doctors. I'd be inclined to get another opinion, perhaps from a neurosurgeon if you may be looking at nerve damage from previous surgeries. I've read and heard varying reports on TTS surgery success. I understand it can help, but it really depends on what's causing the problem in the first place.

You're taking Celebrex, have you found that it helps? Have you been on it long? I'm curious because my doctor wants me to take it. I'm not terribly interested because of side effects, and because I see to be able to get my feet under control with different methods - only to have problems come back suddenly as soon as I start to increase my activity. No point for me to take drugs if it's only going to bring a temporary relief.....

Constance on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011901)

I've had a second opinion but the doctor who did the surgeries is the same one who is suggesting TT surgery. The doctor who gave me the second opinion didn't have any wonderful revelations either! My doctor wants to wait to see how the night splints and Celebrex work to bring down the swelling. He also suggested Cortisone but it hasn't worked in the past and he'll have to sedate me before I'll do that again!!!

The Celebrex seems to help and it is easier to take than the Voltaren I was taking. Everything so far has brought relief. Unfortunately, I'm willing to try anything so I'll be able to walk without pain, swelling, leg cramps, etc.

I haven't checked the message board in a few months and I almost hate to do it because it makes me desolate to see that there are so many people suffering and there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight.

john h on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011909)

i had the tarsal tunnel release on august 23, 99. the nerve conduction test are very subjective and are by no mean conclusive as my foot surgeon told me. my test indicated 'mild' impingment in both feet. this might very well be ok in somone of my age. there will be swelling around the incision for some time and the doctor told me it could be up to a year before i know the final results. he did find a large vericose vein (not visable outwardly) touching a nerve but as of today i do not know if this procedure has worked or not. if you will search back on previous post scott posted a picture of my foot and incision for the Tarsal Tunnel Release and PF release. I would definitely have a foot and ankle surgeon do a tarsal tunnel release (my opinion) although poditrist do them and some may do them very well.Tarsal tunnel syndrome from what i read is not common. If a vericose vein was my problem i have looked up some of the nutritional suppliments that are recommended to help alleviate this problem. you might do the same. the doctor also recommended i wear a support stocking which keeps swelling down and helps force the blood thru the ankle at a faster speed and keep it from pooling (pooling of blood is a vericose vein).do not rush into this surgery.