Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tape works!

Posted by John B on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011881)

I have had PF for only a few months and have had good results with stretching in the morning and wearing custom orthotics over heel pads in my Rockports. I still have pain, but it is much more bearable using these techniques.
I thought I would try taping this morning. I taped up my bad (left) foot at work this morning as per Scott's instructions and walked down the hall to the cafeteria with ZERO pain! This is the first time I have been completely painless since my PF started. I still have a slight limp because the tape seems to restrict my foot movement. Maybe I should try it a little looser next time or arch my foot more before I put the tape on. Anyway, it is a great improvement!

Re: Tape works!

Kara M on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011885)

Hey John,
Glad to hear the tape works for you too!
Now I am finally to the point where I only tape when I know I will be on my feet all day (i.e. work) otherwise I go without.
What I do is seperate and overlap the tape at the back of my heel instead of using one continous band. That way if it's too tight, I can easily un- tape and re- tape to make it looser without having to redo the whole thing. Don'Kt know if it will help or not, but just thought I'd put that out there...
Happy Healing!
Kara M

Scott R on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011893)

I have the same kind of enthusiasm for tape. It is sad that people don't try taping their foot every morning or on active days more often.

Carol on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011899)

When I first went to a Podiatrist he taped my foot. He said if the tape made me feel better then orthotics would be the answer. It worked so I had orthotics made. I feel a little better with orthotics but I definitely have my days. Do people tape in addition to wearing orthotics or is taping just for the people that do not have orthotics?

Scott R on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011922)

Taping can be used in addition to orthotics. It is common for doctors to say 'if taping helps, orthotics will help'. Such a narrow statement is very wrong. The doctor may or may not be aware that it is wrong. Taking tension out of the fasica is not the same as providing arch support and/or using wedges. Many if not most PF cases do not even over-pronate. In my case, taping was a life-saver while the best orthotics provide very little help.

Sandy K. on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011944)

Thanks Scott for all your good advice and help. I have started taping myself, trying to emulate the taping I had on my first visit to the Podiatrist, it felt good! His instruction sheet calls it 'Low-Dye', which I am told is a 'method' taught somewhere?. I have been trying to emulate the procedure and I am getting better at it. It does feel good and gives good arch support. Have you heard of this Low-Dye method? I use the pre- tape under the adhesive tape and that allows me to leave the taping on for two days, then the shower calls!!

John B on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011947)

I use both tape and prescription orthotics. I do have an over pronation problem so the orthotics help. But of all the things I have tried, so far tape has made the biggest difference.

HanneJ on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011951)

Tape is the very best. I've tried all ather things. I have orthotics too, tape and orthotics together is the best..., but still I have pain.

Kara M on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011885)

Hey John,
Glad to hear the tape works for you too!
Now I am finally to the point where I only tape when I know I will be on my feet all day (i.e. work) otherwise I go without.
What I do is seperate and overlap the tape at the back of my heel instead of using one continous band. That way if it's too tight, I can easily un- tape and re- tape to make it looser without having to redo the whole thing. Don'Kt know if it will help or not, but just thought I'd put that out there...
Happy Healing!
Kara M

Scott R on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011893)

I have the same kind of enthusiasm for tape. It is sad that people don't try taping their foot every morning or on active days more often.

Carol on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011899)

When I first went to a Podiatrist he taped my foot. He said if the tape made me feel better then orthotics would be the answer. It worked so I had orthotics made. I feel a little better with orthotics but I definitely have my days. Do people tape in addition to wearing orthotics or is taping just for the people that do not have orthotics?

Scott R on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011922)

Taping can be used in addition to orthotics. It is common for doctors to say 'if taping helps, orthotics will help'. Such a narrow statement is very wrong. The doctor may or may not be aware that it is wrong. Taking tension out of the fasica is not the same as providing arch support and/or using wedges. Many if not most PF cases do not even over-pronate. In my case, taping was a life-saver while the best orthotics provide very little help.

Sandy K. on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011944)

Thanks Scott for all your good advice and help. I have started taping myself, trying to emulate the taping I had on my first visit to the Podiatrist, it felt good! His instruction sheet calls it 'Low-Dye', which I am told is a 'method' taught somewhere?. I have been trying to emulate the procedure and I am getting better at it. It does feel good and gives good arch support. Have you heard of this Low-Dye method? I use the pre- tape under the adhesive tape and that allows me to leave the taping on for two days, then the shower calls!!

John B on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011947)

I use both tape and prescription orthotics. I do have an over pronation problem so the orthotics help. But of all the things I have tried, so far tape has made the biggest difference.

HanneJ on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011951)

Tape is the very best. I've tried all ather things. I have orthotics too, tape and orthotics together is the best..., but still I have pain.