Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone

Posted by Jennifer K on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011900)

I have PF and am running in the marine corps marathon on Sunday (I know - probably shouldn't run...but that's not really an option). I got a cortisone shot on Tues. and my foot feels great (pain masked). I've also been resting, icing, taping, etc.

My question is: Will my cortisone shot 'wear off' by Sunday???? Some people are telling me it only lasts 48 hours! Help!

Re: cortisone

YokoS on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011902)

Hi Jennifer
I really respect your brave and I am wishing your BEST of LUCK on sunday. I FINALLY cancelled my NY marathon entry this year due to heel spur. I hope the shot you had on tues was the first one. First one worked 2 weeks for me. BUT 2nd and 3rd one were totally different story. Good Luck !!

john h on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011906)

bad move jennifer! a few hours of glory at the risk of months of potential chronic pain. been there! done that! thought i could run thru the pain and i did but since then i have been unable to shake the PF (3-4 years).

john h (air force) i should have stuck to flying rather than running.

Martha B. on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011911)

Shot should still be effective on Sunday.All folks are different with the shot-my first lasted 3 weeks.Please go easy with the cortisone-look back on this board and see the many negatives.If I had only found this board prior to my 7 injections I don't think I would have had the first one.I had 4 in 1 ft. and 3 in the other and feel very fortunate that I didn't get a rupture. You KNOW you dont need to be running!!!!!so I wont lecture you on that.Be careful and have your ice ready.Stretch stretch stretch!!!

Jan R. on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011912)

My first cortisone shot was great - lasted 6 months to the day! BUT when the pain came back it came back with a VENGENCE! THE PAIN WAS WORSE THAN IT WAS BEFORE I HAD THE CORTISONE SHOT. I would recommend other treatment. Good luck.

Dan W on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011928)

Dont run with this disease. The shot only masks the pain. I was given two shots six months apart, my foot fractured ten days after the last one. I was just bending down to pick something up off the floor at work and it broke, causing ireparable nerve damage and have been unable to walk without pain eversince. That was fifteen months ago. The cortisone weakens the bones and ligaments in the foot making it more suseptable to many disabling conditions. The doctors dont tell you about the serious side effects. Dont do it. Take it easy, STAY OFF OF IT. Take it from those of us who have been disabled and are worse off than before the cortico-steroid injections.

rekha s on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011931)

don't run thru the pain, I did and am regretting that decision to this day...I am always thinking 'I wish I would have rested my heel instead of running on the treadmill' Pain is a way for your body telling you something is wrong..don't ignore it, cortizone shots only mask the pain for a few days (for me 4-5 days).

John B on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011950)

I think cortisone shots are one of those things that turn a lot of people away from conventional medicine. I had two shots a long time ago for a different problem that had nothing to do with PF. I had arthritis in my right foot that was caused by an old injury. When I got my first shot, I didn't know what I was in for. He had to get the needle right into a joint and it took a lot of jerking around with this giant syringe that looked like something you would see in a cartoon or something. I thought I was going to pass out before he was through.
Then the second time, the nurse cheerfully walked in with another cartoon syringe and informed me I was going to get another shot. She set the syringe down on a table in front of me and I got to stare at it for at least 20 minutes before the Dr came in to acually give me the shot.
And the bottom line is that after going through this ordeal, it has absolutely no long term value, and may even be detrimental in the long run. I will never, NEVER, let anyone give me a cortisone shot again.

Gina L. on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011958)

I've had PF for 1 1/2 years...I teach aerobics and run in road races. I feel for you because I love to run. I get through a race but deal with the consequences the next day. Words of advice: stay off your feet if you can on Saturday DO NOT RUN! Stretch, stretch, stretch and have the ice ready after the race. I had a cortisone shot that lasted about 3 months. Will NEVER get one again, too painful. Good luck on Sunday!

joan on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011971)

following my second cortisone shot, i re-ruptured parts of the plantar fascia TWICE on very little provocation--never again with that stuff!

Julie J. on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014807)

Hi Joan,

I recently had cortizone injections in a keloid scar to reduce the symptoms and supposedly prevent it from coming back. After about 10 months of regular injections, I noticed I had gained between 10-20 pounds. Did you notice any weight gain from your injections?

CindyK on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015878)

Could some one give me info on cortisone shots ?? i would aooreciate it very much. My husband hand the shot in his hand and now he is not sure if the way he feels some times is a side affect.

YokoS on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011902)

Hi Jennifer
I really respect your brave and I am wishing your BEST of LUCK on sunday. I FINALLY cancelled my NY marathon entry this year due to heel spur. I hope the shot you had on tues was the first one. First one worked 2 weeks for me. BUT 2nd and 3rd one were totally different story. Good Luck !!

john h on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011906)

bad move jennifer! a few hours of glory at the risk of months of potential chronic pain. been there! done that! thought i could run thru the pain and i did but since then i have been unable to shake the PF (3-4 years).

john h (air force) i should have stuck to flying rather than running.

Martha B. on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011911)

Shot should still be effective on Sunday.All folks are different with the shot-my first lasted 3 weeks.Please go easy with the cortisone-look back on this board and see the many negatives.If I had only found this board prior to my 7 injections I don't think I would have had the first one.I had 4 in 1 ft. and 3 in the other and feel very fortunate that I didn't get a rupture. You KNOW you dont need to be running!!!!!so I wont lecture you on that.Be careful and have your ice ready.Stretch stretch stretch!!!

Jan R. on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011912)

My first cortisone shot was great - lasted 6 months to the day! BUT when the pain came back it came back with a VENGENCE! THE PAIN WAS WORSE THAN IT WAS BEFORE I HAD THE CORTISONE SHOT. I would recommend other treatment. Good luck.

Dan W on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011928)

Dont run with this disease. The shot only masks the pain. I was given two shots six months apart, my foot fractured ten days after the last one. I was just bending down to pick something up off the floor at work and it broke, causing ireparable nerve damage and have been unable to walk without pain eversince. That was fifteen months ago. The cortisone weakens the bones and ligaments in the foot making it more suseptable to many disabling conditions. The doctors dont tell you about the serious side effects. Dont do it. Take it easy, STAY OFF OF IT. Take it from those of us who have been disabled and are worse off than before the cortico-steroid injections.

rekha s on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011931)

don't run thru the pain, I did and am regretting that decision to this day...I am always thinking 'I wish I would have rested my heel instead of running on the treadmill' Pain is a way for your body telling you something is wrong..don't ignore it, cortizone shots only mask the pain for a few days (for me 4-5 days).

John B on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011950)

I think cortisone shots are one of those things that turn a lot of people away from conventional medicine. I had two shots a long time ago for a different problem that had nothing to do with PF. I had arthritis in my right foot that was caused by an old injury. When I got my first shot, I didn't know what I was in for. He had to get the needle right into a joint and it took a lot of jerking around with this giant syringe that looked like something you would see in a cartoon or something. I thought I was going to pass out before he was through.
Then the second time, the nurse cheerfully walked in with another cartoon syringe and informed me I was going to get another shot. She set the syringe down on a table in front of me and I got to stare at it for at least 20 minutes before the Dr came in to acually give me the shot.
And the bottom line is that after going through this ordeal, it has absolutely no long term value, and may even be detrimental in the long run. I will never, NEVER, let anyone give me a cortisone shot again.

Gina L. on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011958)

I've had PF for 1 1/2 years...I teach aerobics and run in road races. I feel for you because I love to run. I get through a race but deal with the consequences the next day. Words of advice: stay off your feet if you can on Saturday DO NOT RUN! Stretch, stretch, stretch and have the ice ready after the race. I had a cortisone shot that lasted about 3 months. Will NEVER get one again, too painful. Good luck on Sunday!

joan on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011971)

following my second cortisone shot, i re-ruptured parts of the plantar fascia TWICE on very little provocation--never again with that stuff!

Julie J. on 1/15/00 at 00:00 (014807)

Hi Joan,

I recently had cortizone injections in a keloid scar to reduce the symptoms and supposedly prevent it from coming back. After about 10 months of regular injections, I noticed I had gained between 10-20 pounds. Did you notice any weight gain from your injections?

CindyK on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015878)

Could some one give me info on cortisone shots ?? i would aooreciate it very much. My husband hand the shot in his hand and now he is not sure if the way he feels some times is a side affect.